~Sam Harris Where are your boundries?

KevinS

Blues Newbie
I guess whether it's a good reason or a bad reason is really in the mind of the beholder.  If it supports your opinion you probably think it's good and don't really question it a whole lot
further.  I plead guilty.  But you have given me some good food for thought. 

Annie

On my way
I wanted to start a meta conversation (talking about talking) and why we focus on the facts more than the misconceptions. Also is guitar playing a science? I think not. I have met guitar players that don't know any theory at all and the fact is, they are great at what they do. I have seen bands that have very little in the way of equipment and the fact is, I had a great time listening to them. We are not what we think, right or wrong. Isn't it how we come across to people and how much we really care?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Our natural instincts are often mislead by our exposure to education.
We understand music by knowing what we feel and enjoy hearing.
It's easy to distract our emotions by analyzing them.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
This seems to be a philosophical discussion.  I got straight A's in college philosophy. 
The top professor one day summed up philosophy as "The art of winning the argument".   :eek:
But it seems for one side to win, the other side must concede.
And it seems that many of these kinds of "arguments" in guitardom have been going on for decades and nobody has conceded yet, and probably never will.   
Which raises the question: "Do guitar players just love to argue?".   :-?

markherrick

Blues Newbie
If you accept the definition of science as being "the study of a part of the physical world by a system of experimentation and observation" (paraphrasing), then playing guitar could be called science.  But I think most would call it art.  Art being something created to express ideas or feelings.
facts=common ground, general acceptance no conflict.  Misconceptions= mistakes, fault  conflict. how many times have you heard, "o.k. folks, let's just go with what we all know."

Daniel_H

Blues Newbie
I wanted to start a meta conversation (talking about talking) and why we focus on the facts more than the misconceptions. Also is guitar playing a science? I think not. I have met guitar players that don't know any theory at all and the fact is, they are great at what they do. I have seen bands that have very little in the way of equipment and the fact is, I had a great time listening to them. We are not what we think, right or wrong. Isn't it how we come across to people and how much we really care?

I have been slow to comment on threads because there are so many friendly and knowledgable people on here, that it often seems there is little constructive left to add.  And I believe that it is easy for comments on the internet to reflect poorly on the commenter, so I try to tread carefully in general.  However, a
"meta-conversation" is too good to resist, especially when the participants are thoughtful people who share an interest in music. 

I'm curious about the phrase "...why we focus on the facts more than misconceptions..."  I'm not sure I understand you correctly.

I'm also curious to see how people weigh in on the art/science question.  For my part:  both.  I think the line between art and science becomes blurrier the  more I learn about either.

Lastly, with regard to the question, "Isn't it how we come across to people and how much we really care?"  I propose:  partly, but are there limits to how far our good intentions will carry us?

Thank you for the thought provoking post.

Annie

On my way
See original quote in beginning link.
Think bad reasons= misconceptions. My opinion is that we learn much more from our mistakes than any facts we learn. Does that make it easier to understand my thinking?

Daniel_H

Blues Newbie
Read and re-read the original quote.  That is good stuff and I will be working to keep in mind.  It will be on my refrigerator for some time to come.

I had read it before, just didn't quite follow what you meant.
I do understand better now.  Thank you for clarifying.
Thought provoking stuff.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I read somewhere that all our conceptions are formed before we are age 6 and most come from what our parents believed. If that is true then maybe that Is why we are in conflict with ourselves as we hear there are other views and our conceptions (from our parents) may not be true.

When it comes to guitars (or music) I believe that there are 3 parts. First the physical such as fretting or strumming, the intellectual such as learning how to fit chords or learn theory and so on, and the 3rd is the mystical. That feeling that you can convey with music. The emotions you can emote and others receive from your music. This is the art the first 2 are the science.

Take 5 people at different levels and have them play the same song and you will get 5 different emotional responses if the 1st is a beginner, the second advanced beginner, the 3rd is intermediate, the 4th advanced intermediate and the 5th a really good pro.
Here is what I mean. I can play a SRV or Clapton song. It will stink at first. Then I have to progress through the stages. If I can get to the place that I can play the song without thinking about technique or chords or notes, just the music then and only then am I able to convey my emotional interpretation of the song that you can hear my emotion.
Damn it is time for a glass of wine and to think about this some more. :)