Sad news

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CapnDenny1, Nov 3, 2016.

1. CapnDenny1

CapnDenny1 Student Of The Blues

i just wanted to share that we lost my son Kevin on Tuesday Nov 1st. He has been battling for almost 5 years, but now he is at peace. You can see the obit at baue.com, Kevin Kelley.

Some may remember that I raffled off 2 guitars about 4 years ago to help raise money to be able to travel to Boston and get the care we hoped would prevent this from happening. I just want to thank you all again who bought raffle tickets. We raised almost $3500 from the raffle alone which really helped with travel and hotel stays for the months of treatments.

I have been busy with caring for him lately, since he got very ill around Sept 1st. Since then I have made the 40 mile trip to the hospital every day to spend time with him. We managed to bring him home for 3 weeks where he had a new rental powered wheelchair that could recline and help him find some comfort and mobility. I am thankful for that 3 weeks. Up until August he had his own place, a job, a girlfriend, and was a senior at Webster University studying filmaking.

Since we lost his Mom in 2000 to cancer when Kevin was 10 he and I became very close, and helped each other get through that. He was my passenger on my motorcycle for a lot of trips, and was my biggest fan, always encouraging me to play live and "just do it"!

In addition to being a gifted artist with paint and charcoal he also wrote and performed poetry. Here is one that I foubd in one of his sketch books that he always had with him. In spite of the stuff he had to endure he remained cheerful, and tried to keep his illness from affecting everyone else. But this shows how deep it affected him.

By Kevin Kelley

I want to go out slow and alone
    I want my ties to frey in soft
    Feathered ends.
    No pain, no grief, no Anger, no sorrow left behind
    No wake, no one to mourn my end.

In truth I want to meet this,
    How it is, a quiet longing cry
    To be remembered and missed,
    To leave the hanging severed bonds that ache and bleed.
    And this is why It will end
    wail into the soft pillow of night.

2. Rick23

Rick23 Blues Newbie

So sorry, prayers for you and your family.

3. John-G

John-G The Long and Winding Road

Capn' - please accept my sincere condolences. No words can relieve one's grief and sorrow after departing from a loved one, let alone a son.
    Take comfort in knowing that he no longer suffers, and he is still with you in spirit, always watching over you.
    I send you my best wishes and prayers and know you will summon up the strength and courage to continue your son's legacy to "just do it".
    John-G.

4. HotLks

HotLks Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.

So sorry, :cry:. Kevin's poem speaks volumes about his character, insight, sensitivity. I understand it. You raised a very thoughtful son.

I share some of your pain Cap'n. You've become a friend of mine here on the forum. If my thoughts and prayers reach you, you would feel strengthened at this time of grief. I admire the way you supported Kevin and put yourself aside. Are you going to be OK? I hope so. Stay in touch please.

I'm glad to have you with us.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

#4 HotLks, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  5. zwantedone

zwantedone Blues Newbie

My condolences, Cap'n Denny...

6. KevinS

KevinS Blues Newbie

My condolences. So sorry to hear of your loss.

7. artyman

artyman Fareham UK

Words are inadequate at such a time, but I'm sure I speak for all the BGU community that you are in our thoughts, Even knowing this was coming doesn't make it any easier. Prayers for you.

8. Terry B

Terry B Humble student of the blues

Sorry to hear your loss Capn.

9. kestrou

kestrou Blooze Noobie

Tearing up here, buddy...

We're almost all parents here - but most can only imagine your situation...

Maybe you just want to be alone right now, but I'm only three hours away - and would be happy to drop by for a man-hug, a beer, and any support you'd like. I'm serious on the offer.

I'm going for a walk now...

Kevin

10. CapnDenny1

CapnDenny1 Student Of The Blues

Thanks guys.

If anyone feels the need I would like any donations to be made to The Chordoma Foundation.

His obit is at baue.com under Kevin Kelley

Dennis

11. obsidianskies

obsidianskies Chris H

I'm very sorry to hear that Captain - our thoughts are with you and your family.

12. twbuff

twbuff The hurrier I go, the behinder I get!

So sorry to hear of your loss. Being a former St. Louis (and St. Charles) resident, I am aware of the value Webster University adds to the community and how well it's students fare. Your son's passing is a loss to more than just yourself. Grieve in peace and you are in our prayers. Keep going and best wishes.

13. Norfolk Bill

Norfolk Bill norfolk uk, just knoodling along

No words,, very sad

14. Rancid Rumpboogie

Rancid Rumpboogie Blues Mangler

Cap’n, I can’t begin to imagine the sadness you feel. Not only at his passing, but at watching him go through so much suffering and treatment, etc. along the way. Sometimes life is just not fair. We ask “Why?” and nothing anybody can say answers that question. I am so sorry to hear of your son’s passing and hope that you will be OK!

15. Al Holloway

Al Holloway Bristol UK

Very sorry for your loss. There is nothing I can say better than the words he wrote himself.

Al.

16. TwoNotesSolo

TwoNotesSolo Student Of The Blues

As a parent this is one of our worst nightmare, seeing our kids suffer and go so soon. Having to deal with it for two loved ones has got to be heart wrenching. Cancer sucks.
    Condolences to you and your family, may you find solace in music...

17. dvs

dvs Green Mountain Blues

Very sorry, Dennis. Thinking of you and your family. Thank you for sharing Kevin's poem.

18. LosBassMan

LosBassMan "Bottom Feeding since 1996"

So sorry!! We will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Carlos

19. paparaptor

paparaptor Central Scrutinizer
    Staff Member

Dennis, I'm so sorry to hear that your son lost his fight with such a vicious killer. I remember well, reading your posts while you were in Boston and the photos you posted of him and the hope you both had for the future. There's nothing else I can say, except I am very sorry for the loss you are dealing with. Peace be with you. Your son has already found his.

20. KAS2

KAS2 Blues Newbie

So sorry.