Interfaces S1 Startup Faults

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I'm just now getting around to using S1.
I have opened it up in the past (weeks) and never got any fault messages but I guess with the myriad Win10 updates perhaps things were either corrupted or need to be reset. For example, if my Scarlett 2i2 is recognized then why doesn't S1 allow it to connect?

This stuff drives me nuts! :mad:

Anyway, this is a screenshot of the message I get and if anyone has any ideas on how to address these faults I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!

S1fault.jpg

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Is your Scarlett plugged directly into your computer or does it go through a hub?
From your startup screen it looks as though Windows may have reset your default audio device back to Windows Audio instead of your Scarlett.
Open Screen.jpg
Also, are you using the ASIO drivers for the Scarlett?
What do you see if you click on Manage Audio Devices? The Scarlett should show up in the devices list. Can you select it then?

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Is your Scarlett plugged directly into your computer or does it go through a hub?
From your startup screen it looks as though Windows may have reset your default audio device back to Windows Audio instead of your Scarlett.
View attachment 12850
Also, are you using the ASIO drivers for the Scarlett?
What do you see if you click on Manage Audio Devices? The Scarlett should show up in the devices list. Can you select it then?

I had the ASIO drivers from both Focusrite and ASIO4ALL before I switched to the new machine. But they're gone now (at least the ones I downloaded).

There is no drop-down option to switch to the Focusrite. It only shows Windows Audio.

Should I get the drivers from Focusrite or get the ASIO4ALL? Or are there other (better) drivers?

I'm almost positive that these messages didn't pop up when I first loaded S1 into the new machine 'cause I would open it now and then thinking I was actually going to figure out how to use it and I don't recall seeing them.

BTW, I used your video to set up my VJR template. You're very good at presenting the step by step stuff in a simple and easy to understand way.

Great job with that!

And once I get this Focusrite thing sorted out, I will be availing myself of many of the other vids you have done.

I gotta say that in almost 30 years of computer use, yours may be the first tutorials I am actually looking forward to watching!

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Don't use ASIO4ALL. That is designed as a fall-through for something that doesn't have an updated driver. Get the latest and greatest from Focusrite and I think you'll be a lot happier.
If S1 isn't seeing the Scarlett, that means there isn't a current driver. I checked at Focusrite's site and they have drivers for three different generations of Scarlett 2i2s. I think if you go through the installation process for the drivers (outside of Studio One), S1 should find your 2i2 as soon as the drivers are installed.

Thanks for the kind words about the videos. I guess the 25+ years I spent in a small telecom company doing product design, marketing, sales, tech writing, tech support, repair and shipping must have paid off. I used to clean the bathrooms, too.
cheesy.gif

Elwood

Blues
All the kind words we can dream up...you earned 'em Papa!!!

Might be a tip here - I have noticed that if I start Studio One and do not have my interface power on that there may be a configuration error pop up. I only noticed this since the last update, but that only says when I noticed it. Here is what I mean---
I start S1 and forget to turn on my interface. The S1 boot cycle hangs at an interface prompt in the sequence. I turn on the interface and the S1 boot continues.
I think most of the time it handshakes and there is no problem. I have noticed though, that once in a while it defaults to an ASIO config (I believe). Makes things run very poorly. Very easy to fix (thanks again Papa) if you know what happened.
Easy fix, be sure your interface is hot before you start S1.

(BTW, I use a PreSonus Studio 68c interface, no hardware compatibility issues)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Might be a tip here - I have noticed that if I start Studio One and do not have my interface power on that there may be a configuration error pop up. I only noticed this since the last update, but that only says when I noticed it. Here is what I mean---
I think you may be able to get past the hang. I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I had the same issue in version 4 with a MIDI keyboard I have configured, but I seldom have it connected to the computer. I checked and on my copy of version 4 the box is checked and it will hang during boot. On Version 5, it is unchecked and it never hangs, it just gives me a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the middle next to the failed device.

Go to Studio One on the top level menu and select Options. Then select the External Devices tab. At the bottom left of the window, you should see a box that says, "Notify me if devices are unavailable when Studio One starts"
Uncheck that box and see if that doesn't resolve the hang during boot. It may not for an audio interface. I can't really tell on my PC. I have three external devices configured and the fall-through is Windows Audio, which is always available.