Studio One S1 Question Drum Beat Accents

MarcV

Blues Junior
I am guessing this has been covered but I can't figure it out.

Is there a way to program accents in the drum beat patterns.
I know how to program a swing feel for triplet type beat.
For example though how would you generate 16th note beat on anything, snare, tom, whatever: 1 e + ah 2 e + ah,

upload_2021-8-6_10-35-6.png

Using Studio 1 version 5.2, Artist

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
You are working in territory I've never seen. At the risk of appearing even more ignorant than I admit, what instrument are you in and where can I find the section where you took the screen shot?

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
@PapaRaptor That is what you get in the editor for an instrument track with the sequence editor selected (circled in upper left in screen shot). @MarcV Click on the icon in the lower left that looks like a mountain, click on the drum you want to work with, and adjust the Velocity of each hit. I think the default is 80%, make it louder or softer from there.
instrum editor.png

Last edited:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I just figured this out a couple of days ago, trying to create the drum part for my Stones song. It was not easy to find how to do this in the support docs - I learned a few things from this GregorFromPresonus video in which he goes way too quickly through a bunch of really useful stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUWGjCF-iic

Also, there is a place where it says "Accent" at the top of these screen shots - I have to believe that's got something to do with this, too, but I don't know how to use that. [Edit: Actually, that's late in the Gregor video - hold control key and lick on the hit, it should add the specified Accent% to the hit. Haven't tried it yet, though.]

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thanks Doug. I can't believe I've never seen this before and it took me more than a minute or two to find it. It definitely wasn't an intuitive find.
I'm used to writing my drum tracks as one long event using the regular MIDI editor.
@CaptainMoto, within an Instrument (ImpactXT in this case), create an event of the length you want (for example, just create one measure). Then right click on the event and in the drop down menu, you will see Instrument Parts. Scroll down to it and an option list will come up. Click on Convert Part to Pattern and you'll see what @dvs and @MarcV have displayed. I'm sure you've edited MIDI before in the regular editor section, so the rest should be pretty clear, as all the functions are the same.

@MarcV as @dvs shows in his graphic, if you click on the line graph type icon at the bottom left of the editor, you'll get an additional window. Make sure Velocity is selected. It determines how loud the individual note will be. Velocity in MIDI goes from 1 to 127, with each larger number being marginally louder. This is how you would make the accents you want. Note that if you right click on a note's velocity, you will get an option to display velocity in either MIDI (1-127) or percent (1-100). I use MIDI velocities just because I found them first and that is the default... YMMV.

You might also notice that within the Impact XT window, you may have multiple samples for an individual note as shown here:
DifferingSamples.jpg
The section outlined in red in this graphic shows you how many different samples exist for an individual note. In this case there are 6 different samples in this example. By default they are played according to Velocity, which you can see in the Layer Mode option. When in the Velocity mode, these samples will be selected according to the velocity you choose for the note. If you hover your cursor between any two divisions, you will see the point where it switches from one sample to another. You also have dynamic control of these to set the samples to switch at the velocities you choose. In the kit shown, this kick will play sample 1 from MIDI velocity 1 through 21, sample 2 from 22 through 42, sample 3 from 43 through 64 and so on.

Now, as to setting up your timing for a swing feel, IMHO, the swing option shown in the pattern editor is nearly worthless... YMMV. For swing, I set the Resolution in the Editor to 1/8th note triplets and set your Steps to 12.
As per your original example, you would then add your notes and set it up like shown in this graphic:
MIDI1-8trips.jpg
So the "on beat" gets the highest accent (velocity) at 94 in this example. "And" gets the lowest accent and the "uh" gets a middle accent.
This is just for example and you could even leave out the "and" notes. However, I would still make the on beat a higher velocity than the uh, just so it's less likely for you to get them mixed up (or use different notes for the two).

As I mentioned, I've never worked with this pattern editor (didn't even know it existed until you posted this) and I work entirely within the overall MIDI channel timeline. The nice thing is all the parameters work exactly the same whether in the pattern editor or on the main MIDI editor.

And thanks @MarcV for bringing this up. I've learned something about Studio One I never knew before. Might just have to do a video about it.

MarcV

Blues Junior
Thanks all for your input.
I can't believe you guys have not done this before with all of your cool drum parts:whistle::whistle::whistle:
@Papa, yep thanks I will try that. At the time I sent original msg I could not figure out how to open the velocity window. I will play with that.
@dvs. Have watched a bunch of Gregor's videos and while I find them really interesting he goes a little to fast and seems geared towards someone more advanced. I watched one were briefly covers exactly what I am looking for, watched the section over and over and still could not figure it out(y)(y)

This has been real eyeopener. Using these tools I put the following together in about 10 seconds. No guitar playing but lots of fun.

\\https://dl.dropbox.com/s/6v2skw8bqoc91xh/drum sample.mp3?dl=0

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
@PapaRaptor ,
You're giving me more credit than I deserve.
I'm a complete novice on midi, rarely use it, never edit it.

I've got two midi controllers and only occasionally use them for a little fill or extra beat here and there.

I'll watch what you guys are discuss and see if I'm motivated to become a full time user.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
@PapaRaptor ,
You're giving me more credit than I deserve....
@PapaRaptor & @MarcV Same here. In fact, that was my first-ever venture into this world, though likely not the last (just yesterday I shuttled Sue to and from the hospital for rotator-cuff surgery to fix the arm problem she's been having. The surgery was successful, but it will be a while before she's back to drumming).

I guess I didn't realize that pattern editor was different from the "regular" way - it was the only way I could find to enter drum hits. I kind of stumbled on to it from Gregor's video. How do you do it in the standard MIDI view? I saw Gregor just clicking away and laying out those little triangular drum hits, but I never could get that to happen. (In fact that's what I couldn't find in the regular support docs, though I think that's important enough that they'd explain it somewhere, so I'm sure they do.) But laying down a few bars in the pattern editor seems a lot easier than filling in a whole 3-minute song!

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Is Studio One worth the effort? Is so, which virgin??
Steve

If you have an interface of some sort for your computer, then yes, absolutely!
If you already have an interface, then you can download Studio One Prime for free. It doesn't have anything in the way of MIDI goodies, but it's a decent piece of software that will allow you to record two tracks at any time. I don't think I have ever exceeded two tracks when recording music. I have used more when I was preparing some of my Studio One Tutorial videos, but that's not really a musical endeavor.

If you don't have an interface and want to get one, if you pick up a Presonus interface, they all come with a license for a copy of Studio One Artist (which is $99 if you purchase it by itself). I popped for the Pro version, well, just because I could. They all work the same, so if you started with Prime and decided to upgrade to Artist, everything you learned while exploring Prime will apply and you don't have to re-learn anything.

MarcV

Blues Junior
@PapaRaptor ,
You're giving me more credit than I deserve.
I'm a complete novice on midi, rarely use it, never edit it.

I've got two midi controllers and only occasionally use them for a little fill or extra beat here and there.

I'll watch what you guys are discuss and see if I'm motivated to become a full time user.
Hey Cap'n. I am curious how you do your drum parts then. Didn't you say that you don't play drums?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
How do you do it in the standard MIDI view? I saw Gregor just clicking away and laying out those little triangular drum hits, but I never could get that to happen. (In fact that's what I couldn't find in the standard support docs, though I think that's important enough that they'd explain it somewhere, so I'm sure they do.) But laying down a few bars in the pattern editor seems a lot easier than filling in a whole 3-minute song!

That was the first hurdle I had to jump when I started learning Studio One. In order to use the editor, you have to have an event created in the Instrument channel timeline. I do that by using the range tool and highlight some amount of space (3 bars in the example). Then with the range tool still active, double click on the highlighted section to turn it into an event. You can then open the editor and do about anything you like to. It works similarly, whether you're in the drum view or the piano roll. I leave the snap function on unless I'm doing a flam and then I just turn it off long enough to put in another snare hit slightly before the snapped one.

When you run out of event, you can either create another one right after the one you already have, or you can go to the channel lane and drag the right boundary out further. As you can see in the example graphic, the event has an x-y grid, where the section outside of the event has only a y axis. You cannot write to the area outside the event. MIDIEditor-channel-lane.jpg

BTW, this helped me more in being able to visualize counting more than anything else I've ever worked with in learning. You can change the display to show increments at any reasonable setting. Changing the quantize setting will subdivide and display the beat at wherever you have it set. You can also change it within the song while you are editing without affecting what is already written. You also might notice that the channel lane and the editor do not necessarily have to be set to the same quantize setting.

Last edited:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
That's helpful, Lloyd, thank you.

Here's probably the most important piece I was missing, though (or maybe there's another way): double-clicking on a spot in the editor creates a note there. I don't know why I didn't find that - I tried everything (else!) I could think of... Of course, if I had, I wouldn't have found the pattern editor, so there's a silver lining to it all, fwiw.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hey Cap'n. I am curious how you do your drum parts then. Didn't you say that you don't play drums?
Right, I don't play drums and failed miserably at attempts to program drums.
I'm always lacking in that area on my songs so, I have tried several solutions, Trio, BeatBuddy, Band in a box, Synths, alternate (home made percussion) and occasionally midi.
@Many Moons talked me into getting EZdrummer a year or two ago.
I have yet to use it once on a song.
If I do use midi, I just keep it simple then convert it to audio in the DAW.

MarcV

Blues Junior
Right, I don't play drums and failed miserably at attempts to program drums.
I'm always lacking in that area on my songs so, I have tried several solutions, Trio, BeatBuddy, Band in a box, Synths, alternate (home made percussion) and occasionally midi.
If I do use midi, I just keep it simple then convert it to audio in the DAW.
Well, no matter. However you're doing it your songs sound great. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
:eek::eek::eek: Apart from making me feel bad,:(;) you're missing out on some tremendous drumming Moto. I know it looks complicated, but it's actually quite easy to get started with some basic grooves and song structures. Here is a pretty good video on getting started that I found on Youtube, although I'm pretty sure Toontrack will have plenty of tutorials of their own. I really think you should persevere with it Moto, it can bring so much more to your songwriting abilities.

https://youtu.be/WT5y8RTEmYM

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
:eek::eek::eek: Apart from making me feel bad,:(;) you're missing out on some tremendous drumming Moto. I know it looks complicated, but it's actually quite easy to get started with some basic grooves and song structures. Here is a pretty good video on getting started that I found on Youtube, although I'm pretty sure Toontrack will have plenty of tutorials of their own. I really think you should persevere with it Moto, it can bring so much more to your songwriting abilities.

https://youtu.be/WT5y8RTEmYM
Don't feel bad, that makes me feel bad:(, You're only trying to help a lost soul.

That was a pretty good tutorial.
I'll give it another go!

:cautious:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Is Studio One worth the effort? Is so, which virgin??

Steve
Hey Steve,
I'll agree with @PapaRaptor 's comments but add a few thoughts:

From my perspective any D.A.W. will work just fine, it's just a matter of getting familiar with the one you choose.
Having said that, Studio One is growing in popularity with home recording users and more and more professionals.
Given that we have several users here, I'd say that's a good reason to select S1 over other DAWs.

Now, back to your Q...."is It worth it?"
I'd say absolutely yes, if you're prepared to take the next step...........by adding an interface and learning to do multi track recording.

From what I recall about your process, you record guitar & vocals simultaneously on a single track.
As you know, that puts more pressure on you to get it right on the way in because you can't go back and fix any part without effecting the other.

The beauty of using a system that allows you to record vocals & guitar separately is that you can go back after the fact and redo the vocals or fix a certain part of the guitar, which then leads to more polished results.

So, if you continue recording as you do now ( a single track) you can import that into S1 and add some effects, boost volumes and such but your ability to improve the original track is very limited.
If that's your plan Studio One is barley worth it.

However, if you're prepared to go to the next level by adding an interface (which gives your multi track capabilities) then you are positioned to make huge improvements in your finished recordings.

Where the DAW shines and really becomes "worth it" is when you learn how to mix.
That includes adding effects, panning, and volume adjustments to the individual tracks.