Studio One S1 Instrument Patterns not playing

MarcV

Blues Junior
Anything obvious that would cause a Presence Instrument track with patterns that I created to stop producing sound?
They were working before with same S1 song file.
Studio One Artist V 5.2

Attached is screen shot of my tracks. All tracks produce sound if I switch instrument to Impact, so the drums and cowbell have sound, bari sax and bass don't when Presence selected but if I change instrument to IMPACT they will generated sound.

Also attached screen shots of the Presence instrument settings to see if there is anything obvious.
upload_2021-9-3_13-15-17.png

upload_2021-9-3_13-16-6.png

upload_2021-9-3_13-16-57.png

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I've had it happen a couple of times, but it's not easily repeatable. In every case, I saved my work and closed Studio One. It always came back.
I also see from the icons in the events you have layers. Is it possible you are playing a layer that has nothing in it? I haven't spent enough time in MIDI with layering to give any reliable advice on it.
On your mixing strips where is Presence routed? Does it go to Main or somewhere else?
Presence-mixstrip.jpg ?
Are you routing it to a Bus which might be turned down?

MarcV

Blues Junior
Thanks Lloyd. Sorry about post in wrong area.
I figured it out, however I have no idea how it happened.

I noticed that all the instruments in Presence were gone and actually got error message saying Instrument files not found.
Looked in the Sound Sets directory and they were there in area where I am saving all of my songs, which is on my OneDrive. That was strange so I went back and looked at Sound Set directory on my C: drive and sure enough they were not there. So I guess my program is running from my C: drive (which makes sense) and looking for supporting files there.
Copied the Sound Set files back to C: drive location and seems to be working

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thanks Lloyd. Sorry about post in wrong area.
I figured it out, however I have no idea how it happened.

I noticed that all the instruments in Presence were gone and actually got error message saying Instrument files not found.
Looked in the Sound Sets directory and they were there in area where I am saving all of my songs, which is on my OneDrive. That was strange so I went back and looked at Sound Set directory on my C: drive and sure enough they were not there. So I guess my program is running from my C: drive (which makes sense) and looking for supporting files there.
Copied the Sound Set files back to C: drive location and seems to be working

No worries. Glad you got it squared away.
If you don't otherwise specify, Studio One will plop almost all of your S1 data (in Windows) at \Users\{Username}\Documents\Studio One
On a default Windows installation, that will be on your C:\ drive, which probably isn't the greatest place for it to live, especially with current thinking of having a small SSD boot drive and your data living on a platter based hard drive.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I didn't think of explaining this when I wrote the original reply, you can check to see where your Documents folder lives on a Windows PC by opening the Windows Explorer (also sometimes called File Manager) and clicking on This PC. Then right click on the Documents folder. This opens a navigation window. At the bottom of that window, you'll find Properties. Click on Properties and a Documents Properties window will open. Click on the Location tab at the top of the window and you will see the current file path to all your documents, (including most all of your Studio One data).
It will be something like x:\Users\{Username}\Documents where x is the current drive letter where is it stored and {Username} is the name you use when you log in to the computer. If it is on your C:\ drive, you can change it to reflect an additional drive, which will help keep your C:\ Drive from filling up too quickly.
When you make this change, as a part of the process, Windows will move all the data from your old location to your new location. If you have a lot of data at the old location, it may take some time to move all existing files.

One word of caution... If you are using an external drive, such as a USB portable drive, don't make it the location for your Documents. If you disconnect the drive for any reason, you will get some very unusual, unplanned and unwanted results.

In Windows 10, the following folders can be relocated, using this process:
  • 3D Objects
  • Desktop (although I don't recommend changing it from the original C:\ drive location. Unless you store a lot of data on your desktop, the Desktop folder usually contains a small amount of data).
  • Documents
  • Downloads
  • Music
  • PIctures
  • Video
After the change, your programs will all point to the new correct locations.

This allows you to have a smaller boot drive for your Windows operating system and your applications (such as a solid state drive) which is much faster than a traditional spinning disk and allows you to have a much larger location to store data, which usually doesn't benefit from the faster access time on the boot disk.

MarcV

Blues Junior
Thanks Papa.
This may be stupid question but if I make the OneDrive the designated location for the docs, will this affect running of program in the event that I lose my internet?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I don't use OneDrive, so I can't definitively answer this. From what I have read online, the OneDrive folder on your computer is indeed hard copy on your computer and anything stored in the OneDrive folder is mirrored in the cloud. If that is the case, you shouldn't have any issues saving it to your OneDrive folder.

Easy way to check is to place some files in your One Drive folder. They don't have to be Studio One files, just about anything will work, an MP3, a photo, whatever. Then disable your Internet and see if you still have access to those files. From what I have read, you should be able to see them.

Perhaps someone who is using OneDrive can better answer this to your satisfaction.