Studio One S1 Artist vs Pro

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I'm looking into upgrading my Studio One license from Artist to Pro. The Pro-only features of most interest to me are the Chord Track and the Show page. Are there other game-changing features I should be getting excited about? Most of them (the ones I understand, at least) look like things I don't really need and likely wouldn't use.

Presonus has a 30% off deal right now for a few days so the upgrade (normally $300) would cost $210. That seems like a lot for what I'd get out of it. Don't they usually throw down a 50% deal at some point during the year, like Black Friday or Xmas? I think I remember seeing such a thing; $150 would be a little easier to justify.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Here's the comparison between Artist and Pro: https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One/compare-versions

My favorites present in Pro is the MIDI editor will produce a lead sheet (they call it score, but it's really not a full scoring package).
It will also produce tab for bass or guitar if you like.
The chord trac is the real deal maker for me. You can take an existing song (any supported format) and drag it onto the Chord track. Within a few seconds you have a relatively accurate list of the chords to a song. When it's a whole band playing it does get fooled pretty frequently, but with your ear, you won't have problems weeding out the anomalies.
I use Ampire quite a bit and you get an expanded selection of amps and cabs in the Pro version.
I haven't used the show page at all, but I know a couple friends I have met through Presonus Livestreams who use it to death and love it.

I have a copy of Artist on a spare computer, but I've never really used it other than to see verify is something in Pro is there or missing in Artist.

Reactions: dvs

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
...I use Ampire quite a bit and you get an expanded selection of amps and cabs in the Pro version...
I forgot about Ampire - the full version of Ampire came in an add-on package I got for Artist V.4 (mostly stuff that is now part of Artist V.5) and I do use it. So, while that doesn't change the cost vs value proposition for me, I guess it could if I didn't already have the full Ampire.

Last edited:

sloslunas

NM Blues
I'm looking into upgrading my Studio One license from Artist to Pro. The Pro-only features of most interest to me are the Chord Track and the Show page. Are there other game-changing features I should be getting excited about? Most of them (the ones I understand, at least) look like things I don't need and wouldn't use.

Presonus has a 30% off deal right now for a few days so the upgrade (normally $300) would cost $210. That seems like a lot for what I'd get out of it. Don't they usually throw down a 50% deal at some point during the year, like Black Friday or Xmas? I think I remember seeing such a thing; $150 would be a little easier to justify.
I'm going in the opposite direction. I am waiting for the "Rank Amateur's Dummy version" of S1...

Steve

Reactions: dvs

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I'm going in the opposite direction. I am waiting for the "Rank Amateur's Dummy version" of S1...

Steve
Have you considered "GarageBand?" I think it's the simplest DAW out there...not that I've tried others. The program comes with the iPad and iMac. C'mon, Steve, the boys are counting on you to get the compound studio up and running!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I say the "Project Page" is extremely valuable .

This is where you send your song to a project page for mastering.
A project can have multiple songs ( an album) allowing you to master them with some consistency so they flow nicely from song to song.

No need to do a mixdown in the song, you add the song to your project, make your mastering moves and then do a digital release or burn to CD.
In the project, you also have the capability to add more meta data and album art.

As far as I know S1 is the only DAW with a built in mastering tool like this.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Although I rarely use it, the SPITTER is a very useful tool.
Don't forget The Pedalboard and a complete copy of Melodyne Essentials, if that is of interest to you.

sloslunas

NM Blues
Have you considered "GarageBand?" I think it's the simplest DAW out there...not that I've tried others. The program comes with the iPad and iMac. C'mon, Steve, the boys are counting on you to get the compound studio up and running!
I have a windows PC. Do they make garage band for that??

Steve

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I have a windows PC. Do they make garage band for that??

Steve

I just did a quick look and there are things out there, but it's an Apple thing and isn't "officially" created by Apple for Windows. You may find more problems trying to get it to work on a PC than just using Studio One, or something made for the PC.

sloslunas

NM Blues
I just did a quick look and there are things out there, but it's an Apple thing and isn't "officially" created by Apple for Windows. You may find more problems trying to get it to work on a PC than just using Studio One, or something made for the PC.
I do have Studio One and Audacity. Trying to cipher out how to use Studio One. Think I will have a few more margaritas and give that another stab. But I do thank the the sandbagger from San Francisco for his help!!

Steve

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I do have Studio One and Audacity. Trying to cipher out how to use Studio One. Think I will have a few more margaritas and give that another stab. But I do thank the the sandbagger from San Francisco for his help!!

Steve
You'll be teaching us soon!
(y)

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I'm looking into upgrading my Studio One license from Artist to Pro. The Pro-only features of most interest to me are the Chord Track and the Show page. Are there other game-changing features I should be getting excited about? Most of them (the ones I understand, at least) look like things I don't really need and likely wouldn't use.

For the record, Black Friday deal is/was the same - 30% discount. I'm standing pat for now.