RUNNING PATCH CABLE FOR PEDALBOARD

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
Now, I feel REALLY SILLY asking this question.

I have a little pedalboard.....holds 4 pedals horizontally and I run the patch cable right to left. No problem.

So, am considering a pedalboard that will have at least 2 rows and my question is.......how best to use patch cables to get from the left side of first row to anywhere on the 2nd row????

I see a mess and am wondering the best way to handle it.

Thanks as always.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
When I was messing around with building two-row boards I found my biggest challenge was obtaining a patch cable long enough to reach from bottom-left to top-right without being so long I had a lot of excess to deal with. My solution was getting one of those no-solder patch cable creation kits and making one that was just long enough to reach. I only needed one of the smaller kits since the rest of the board just used standard short cables.

HTH. :Beer:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'm forever redoing the signal path.
The need for various types of cables is always a challenge.
Something that adds complexity to my setup is when I want the pedal position to be different from the sequence in the signal path.

Eample:
I like my volume & wah on the right side of the board but if I just connect them in the order of the signal flow they might end up in the middle or the left side.

Most of what I'm doing these days is in the studio so, I set up for convenience and access vs portability.
If you've ever watched Tim Pierce, I'm set up a lot like him with amps/effects and recording gear surrounding me.

My pedals are arranged for easy access at my mixing desk.
Things I that I need to kick on/off in the heat of battle are on the floor.
Most things that I tweak are on a shelf just below the desk top to allow for easy access.
Consequently, I live in a real rats nest of cables.

Tim
upload_2020-2-1_10-17-34.jpeg

Me
IMG_2311~1.jpg

Last edited:

aleclee

Tribe of One
The way to get clean cable runs is to build your own. A lot of people go with solderless kits. Others will get cable and plugs and solder their own. While the soldered ones are certainly more robust, the solderless ones are easier to assemble and work without issues for most who use them.

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
I highly recommend GeorgeL's solderless patch cables kit. They are low capacitance and easy to assemble. They are a bit pricey but are very durable. I've been using several sets for over 6-8 years now, without any issues, and I rotate pedals a lot.

I recommend getting a cable tester like this: https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-CT100-Professional-Instrument-Tester/dp/B000CCIVCA
You can test each build as you go and eliminate a lot of trouble shooting later if one connection is incomplete. Also, I find it quite useful for checking a variety of cables, and the price is right.

aleclee

Tribe of One
I highly recommend GeorgeL's solderless patch cables kit. They are low capacitance and easy to assemble. They are a bit pricey but are very durable.
Pricey is a relative term. You can get stuff that's less expensive but it's pretty much all junk. With cables, a good motto is "buy once, cry once".

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I'm in the George L camp myself, been using them for years, even back when I was gigging they've never let me down, so until someone comes up with something that's puppy proof, I'll be using George L's

aleclee

Tribe of One
The key with most solderless kits is to get a clean, right-angle cut on the cable ends. With clean ends and sensible tightening of the set screw, solderless cables can be very reliable but it’s hard to beat the reliability of a well-made soldered cable with appropriate strain relief.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
been using George L's for a "while" now...only have had to redo one...and am always switching cables...later.

cowboy

straightblues

Blues Junior
Using zip ties to control your cables under the board helps to keep everything clean and organized. For the run from the left side of the board to the top of the right, I tend to use something like George L to get that run as short as possible. I use soldered cables for the rest of the board.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I just use doublesided velcro ties. They come on a roll so cut to length (I also cut to width as I bought a wider roll which is useful for somethings). Can be reused as many times as you want.

cheers

Al.