Ron's BGULab Challenge Submission

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
I'm following MikeS's lead and am posting my BGU Lab Challenge Submission. I took Solo #3 and scrambled the licks as best I could. Modifications were made only when needed to transition from one lick to another

Ron's BGU Lab Challenge Submission

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Nice Mash up Ron! I've worried about mixing up licks from within the same solo. I've thought that they wouldn't sound good in a different order. You've show that I was wrong.
Nice job.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Thanks Mike. I initially attempted to post my submission on the BGULabs site, but was
unsuccessful. I appreciate the comments.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Sounded good, Ron! A little hard to hear how/if it supported the progression because the backing track volume was a little low, but you pieced things together nicely.

artyman

Fareham UK
Perhaps I'm being picky (pardon the pun) but the timing seemed a bit shaky in parts, you were counting weren't you :p

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Appreciate the comments. Artyman, I tried to count where I could. The backing track may have been a little fast for Solo #3. There were a lot of triplets (which is why I picked this one) and the speed made it tough in places. I sure learned a lot.

Last edited:

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Good work Ron! I see you're not afraid of a challenge.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Since you guys have been good enough to listen and critique my submission, here is
Griff's critique. You might find it helpful.

"Hey Ron!

Great to hear you and Happy New Year.

The way you've organized the licks and re-arranged things is great, and I think with a little more practice would sound great.

What I'm hearing is that you're right at the very edge of how fast you can play (and maybe a little past it) so some of the triplet ideas are not getting completed in time and they sound a little choppy.

Maybe focus on technique for a little while and break out that metronome and do 10 minutes a day of triplets, pushing the speed. I think it would help (and may be the next challenge, actually, this has been really common across all of the entries.)

But again, the way you arranged the licks is spot on, don't worry about a thing there."

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
Just as a matter of interest did you guys get a choice of backing track? or all given the same one?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Since you guys have been good enough to listen and critique my submission, here is
Griff's critique. You might find it helpful.

"Hey Ron!

Great to hear you and Happy New Year.

The way you've organized the licks and re-arranged things is great, and I think with a little more practice would sound great.

What I'm hearing is that you're right at the very edge of how fast you can play (and maybe a little past it) so some of the triplet ideas are not getting completed in time and they sound a little choppy.

Maybe focus on technique for a little while and break out that metronome and do 10 minutes a day of triplets, pushing the speed. I think it would help (and may be the next challenge, actually, this has been really common across all of the entries.)

But again, the way you arranged the licks is spot on, don't worry about a thing there."

He had much the same thing to say about my solo. He said that he is thinking about doing something on Technique soon.
It's kind of funny, because I kind a already realized that I was at the top of my technique skill set and I even realized that PTSM would probably push me further, but I still haven't gotten back to my 4th attempt to make it through that one.
I hope that having Griff come to the same conclusion will spur me back into high gear on PTSM.

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
I think Griff has done a good job with getting the idea of mix and match over to the group, I liked listening to this piece because I recognised the licks and whilst I wasn't familiar with the order it is a pleasant solo as you have it laid out. The recording was a touch quiet relative to the backing, however, I believe that given more time for us to work with our new pieces we could get them polished that little bit that's required but overall I am impressed. Well done. (y)