Roll Away the Stone

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Cool tune, I was not familiar with it. What is a "piano key"? It sounds to me like it is nominally in F and the tonal center shifts from Fmaj to Dmin between the different sections of the song structure.

Nice work! :thumbup::thumbup:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I had never heard it either but glad I have now. Quite a mix and done well.. Like Mike said you got that Leon vocal vibe down pretty dag-gone close.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Leon has always been number one in my book, so I've been singing along to his songs for fifty years. Shaped my vocal style, for better or worse. Dvs, you have the song structure correct. F isn't many guitarist's favorite key, and the shifting tonal centers made it awkward to improvise on for me. I couldn't play it very well, so I did take some time to shine it up in the mix. Piano players think differently from us six stringers. Leon often played in F, Bb, or Eb, which I'm not as familiar with playing. My fault.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Excellent!!

FWIW: I'll just add that along with changing between Relative Major (F) and Relative minor (Dm), it's also common to change the minor v chord (Am) to Major V (A Major) calling for the Harmonic Minor scale over that chord. :)

Elwood

Blues
Made me think of Leon with that LP slung around his neck with Chris on the keys. :cool: Really fine job Braylon! :Beer: I love those old Leon tunes. :thumbup: You bit off a big 'ol bite and did it right!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Got in that tip to Tina too, cool! :cool: Cool right down to the break down ending, yeah! (y)

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
The original version of this song had Charlie Watts on drums, Bill Wyman on bass, Delaney Bramlett and Leon on guitars, and Steve Winwood on organ. Yeah, Leon had pretty impressive musical friends. Clapton, Harrison, and Ringo appeared on other songs on the album.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
That was a really nice cover! I dug out Leon's original this morning for comparison. I'd say you nailed his vocal delivery style.
Leon's more upbeat songs always sounded to me like the listener was being invited to a party. The tunes always sounded loose, but everything was in exactly the right place. I ended up listening to most of the original album. My favorite from that record is Dixie Lullaby.

Last edited:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Thanks, the original was pretty piano-centric so I just went with broad strokes due to my lack of piano skills. Leon's stuff
That was a really nice cover! I dug out Leon's original this morning for comparison. I'd say you nailed his vocal delivery style.
Leon's more upbeat songs always sounded to me like the listener was being invited to a party. The tunes always sounded loose, but everything was in exactly the right place. I ended up listening to most of the original album. My favorite from that record is Dixie Lullaby.
All his stuff through 1975 was uniformly strong, after that it became more hit and miss as he did more jazz, bluegrass, and r&b material. Even did blues albums with mostly guitar. Shelter People was probably my favorite. His early Asylum Choir albums with Marc Benno were very interesting. Sounded more like two guys playing around in Leon's new home studio. I've tried to cover a few of his songs without much luck. Instrumentally, it's hard for me to achieve that feel, even on the simple three chord stuff.