Rhythm figures

Discussion in 'Live Session Discussion' started by Chris L. Babcock, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Chris L. Babcock

Chris L. Babcock Blues Newbie

The information was fantastic but I have to admit I am kind of lost. I'm going back through the videos and see if that helps.

2. leftymike01

leftymike01 Blues Newbie

Chris
    If you are a all access member,
    check out Griff's Strumming and Rhythm Mastery course
    Griff has a good special on his courses would be
    a good time to buy.

3. Chris L. Babcock

Yes I am an all access member and I do have that course...I will check it out...Thank you

4. Paleo

Paleo One Count At A Time

Also be sure you understand the Ultimate Counting Workshop sessions since the first step in Rhythm Figures is to write out the count.

Then it's "simply" a matter of "figuring" out what you are supposed to do on each count.

First by tapping each time you are to strike a new note.

As slow as necessary.

Then by actually striking or holding notes or resting on the appropriate counts.

One count at a time. :sneaky:

#4 Paleo, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  5. Chris L. Babcock

Ok I will look at that....

6. MikeS

MikeS Allen, TX
    Staff Member

Yeah, slowing it down so that you know for SURE, exactly what to do on each count is the magic and it's the hardest thing for me to do.

7. Chris L. Babcock

Thanks Mike...Yes I will slow it down to a snails pace just to get a sense of what is going on

8. Griff

Griff Chief Cook And Bottle Washer
    Staff Member

That is 999 out of 1000 times the "magic bullet."

It's really hard for us, as adults, to slow down enough to actually think about everything that has to happen on every count. That may mean that each count (not each beat, each part of a beat that we count) may take several seconds while you think about what to do with your hands, your counting, your foot, etc.

When we have to go that slow, we feel like we must be doing something wrong, when instead you're doing it exactly right!

And like was said earlier, if those first couple of rhythm figures seem really hard, look at where the problem is:

* can you write the count in above the notes? If not, go back to the Ultimate Counting Workshop and remind yourself how those symbols work.

If you can write the count on the page, but can't execute it past that, the answer is always slowing down. You know what to do on each count, you just have to take the time to make sure you do all the things.

It will be tedious at first, but there will come a point when you'll break through that to a new level and those easy ones won't challenge you any more. Then it's time to move on to the next level, but each new level will come easier than the level before.

Chris L. Babcock likes this.