Rhythm Figures for Lead Guitar

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
The only problem with this course is that when listening to music, I'm now finding myself counting out the rhythm and noting on what beat the vocalist starts each measure!

MarkKnudsen

Liver & Onions
I'm now on Module 10 of Rhythm Figures For Blues Lead Guitar. Module 9 was an absolute joy. Module 10 is a whole different animal. I'm plodding along one or two licks at a time over several days. But, I do eventually get them down! Definitely a challenge!

MarkKnudsen

Liver & Onions
There's an article in Premier Guitar Magazine from last year by Jon MacLennan titled "Did Clapton Peak Too Early". The sample of an early Clapton 12 bar riff is dead simple, pentatonic notes-wise. But the straight time syncopated rhythm is definitely advanced, similar to these advanced rhythms in Rhythm Figures for Blues Lead Guitar. So, yes, I think this course is very good training for me to get up to speed of Clapton 55 years ago! ;-)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
How is this course similar or different from the rhythm strumming course?

While rhythm is foundational to ALL music and ALL aspects of guitar playing, this course focuses on blues lead playing rather than strumming chords.

Griff takes you through a series of progressively more complex rhythms (15 modules) in different feels and tempos providing cues (cowbell) within each track as to when to strike the notes.

(You could actually go through each example strumming a chord if that's your thing.)

You follow a process of:
1) counting out the rhythm
2) clapping it
3) playing it with just one note
4) playing one note with slow backing track
5) adding in more notes

You might like to check out the introductory video in the course catalog at the following link:

Last edited:

DaveFromVA

In the basement.
Thankful that this thread got bumped again; I took a peek at this course, and yeah, it looks like something that would be useful for me, so I’m gonna give it a go.

So that’ll make 5 or 6 partially open courses for me now…

born2boogie

Blues Newbie
Playing for over 40 yrs self taught, but Ive always been conscious that my timing is a major issue, although Ive had this course for awhile, ive always found something better to do as I enjoy a number of genres & too busy rocking out & playing to jam tracks. Im a rocker at heart & love playing Pink Floyd Eagles Status Quo,AC/DC but conscious of major flaw in timing Try as I might Ive never been able to count & play. So Ive decided to have a thorough go at this course. Well ploughing through module 2 & persevering with counting tapping my foot & counting, it feels so alien. playing one note aint so bad, but then it all goes pear shaped when I start to play more then one note, synchronizing counting, tapping my foot & playing notes. A few days in can be very frustrating

JackRunnels

Blues Newbie
Well I make the mark on this year that I had till 14 weeks to make it through. I am on the 3rd week and on 7 module I write out the count on the page and play them out. I did that before looking at the video beforehand to see how I could get the counting down. 6 and 7 seemed easy to me even I started 6 wrong not doing the one - and - the, count at first. I changed it before looking at the video to see how the counting was. I seem to have that part down good just seeing it with no writing on the page and playing is a problem for me. I am on the 7 module right now playing to some jam tracks to get it down. But I have also wrote out 4 examples on module 8. Be interesting on how that is on the timing.
Playing for over 40 yrs self taught, but Ive always been conscious that my timing is a major issue, although Ive had this course for awhile, ive always found something better to do as I enjoy a number of genres & too busy rocking out & playing to jam tracks. Im a rocker at heart & love playing Pink Floyd Eagles Status Quo,AC/DC but conscious of major flaw in timing Try as I might Ive never been able to count & play. So Ive decided to have a thorough go at this course. Well ploughing through module 2 & persevering with counting tapping my foot & counting, it feels so alien. playing one note aint so bad, but then it all goes pear shaped when I start to play more then one note, synchronizing counting, tapping my foot & playing notes. A few days in can be very frustrating
Well born2boogie timing on lead playing has always been a block on my playing. On the first part I might be ok Tap my foot and count in my mind but after a short time I get lost on the counting and cant seem to be able to play a solo along with a song I have on lol. So I have started this to help with my spot in the lead playing timing. Right now cant say it is working for that part but it is doing a good part on my counting.

JackRunnels

Blues Newbie
Now working on Module 8 and ex 3,4,5 stump me on the counting but this is also where I get stumped trying to kearn a solo I want on a song I like. The 16th notes are tough. The part Griff counts on the 16th note makes since but it is not going into my mind.

JackRunnels

Blues Newbie
Ok Seems to be a good time last night so today 1 hour on Mode 8 then take a break and on to mode 9 for a hour then this evening and tomorrow same way.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I think I may need to work on this one next. I've been working on the modes course. This is my 2nd time through and It's coming along much faster than the first time. I just wanted some 7 tone dexterity work. I'll work through all of the long lessons and then just do the slow and fast solo's for a while as I pick up other things to work on. That's where this course Rhythm figures for lead guitar will come in.... thanks for the idea! :Beer:

JackRunnels

Blues Newbie
ok moving on to Module 10. On the start the counting is tough. Ex.1 I got one down pretty easy but 2 is a good one lol lots of work on ex. 2 A good point I could do EX.1 Slow, Medium and Fast.

JackRunnels

Blues Newbie
Module 5 here
Module 5 is good helps with the counting. Ex. 3-7,8 are really good I like those. and the others. I set out at the first of the year for 15 weeks, but I am moving along pretty good about 30 minutes to a hour in the morning and the same in the evening. But miss some days here and there.

JackRunnels

Blues Newbie
I started Module 10 on monday and have had to really slow count the examples to get them down before even watching the Module 10 go along. A good hour of slow counting each one is doing good. Ex. 2 I set and watched a show and on commercials I did slow counting that worked good also. on to Ex.3