Recording 101 with Studio One Prime

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I wonder if an extremely basic tutorial for using StudioOne Prime for entry level recording would be appropriate.
IMHO, a starting point of importing a backing track to one audio track and recording a guitar solo or play-along (without any post-effects) would be extremely helpful.

Being I spend a lot of time in the VJR, this is a question that comes up over and over again. Audacity is one option that works very well. StudioOne Prime is a free download from PreSonus and from what I've seen is the most fully featured free DAW software available.

The other nice thing is that StudioOne lends itself very well to educational scaling. For someone who only wants to record against a backing track it is exceptional (other than it's inability to import a MP3 file). It's also a great way to get started if one wants to explore the idea of plug-ins, mixing and mastering for audio recording.

There are also several active members of the forum with varying skill levels with StudioOne, so support within the forum should be readily available.

I would appreciate any comments from other forum or AAP members in this thread.

Thanks!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I wonder if an extremely basic tutorial for using StudioOne Prime for entry level recording would be appropriate.
IMHO, a starting point of importing a backing track to one audio track and recording a guitar solo or play-along (without any post-effects) would be extremely helpful.

Being I spend a lot of time in the VJR, this is a question that comes up over and over again. Audacity is one option that works very well. StudioOne Prime is a free download from PreSonus and from what I've seen is the most fully featured free DAW software available.

The other nice thing is that StudioOne lends itself very well to educational scaling. For someone who only wants to record against a backing track it is exceptional (other than it's inability to import a MP3 file). It's also a great way to get started if one wants to explore the idea of plug-ins, mixing and mastering for audio recording.

There are also several active members of the forum with varying skill levels with StudioOne, so support within the forum should be readily available.

I would appreciate any comments from other forum or AAP members in this thread.

Thanks!

Is the MP3 problem an issue with Prime? I have "Artist" and I can just drop an mp3 on a track and it works fine.
I use it a lot, but only for VERY basic recording (it can do WAY more than I need or am able to take advantage of)
I have used the plug ins but truthfully, since I spend most of my time using the effects I own (pedals) and I'm not making professional recordings, I haven't really seen a need to use plugins.

I'd be glad to help wherever I can, but I'd probably ask more questions than I can answer. (still haven't figured out how to put silence into spots (easy with audacity) or move things around.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Is the MP3 problem an issue with Prime? I have "Artist" and I can just drop an mp3 on a track and it works fine.
I use it a lot, but only for VERY basic recording (it can do WAY more than I need or am able to take advantage of)
I have used the plug ins but truthfully, since I spend most of my time using the effects I own (pedals) and I'm not making professional recordings, I haven't really seen a need to use plugins.

I'd be glad to help wherever I can, but I'd probably ask more questions than I can answer. (still haven't figured out how to put silence into spots (easy with audacity) or move things around.

Maybe it was the older versions of StudioOne that had the issue with MP3 files. I just reverted one of my PCs from Pro to Prime and it accepts MP3 files and I was able to export. I have some chores to get done this afternoon, but this evening I'll grab a mothballed computer and load a fresh copy of Prime to see if it is still all there.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
but this evening I'll grab a mothballed computer and load a fresh copy of Prime to see if it is still all there.

I took my previous old faithful PC with almost 7 years of "stuff" on it, wiped and installed a fresh copy of Win10 last night. I'll have it fully interfaced probably this evening so it will be usable. I also installed a copy of StudioOne Prime on it, so I can do direct comparisons with the Pro version. Also, Presonus does a product by product comparison chart of StudioOne Prime, Artist and Pro here": https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One/compare-versions

And yes, the current version (mine says 4.6.1) definitely supports importing and exporting of MP3 files, so that won't be an issue in working with most backing tracks.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
That would be helpful to me.

Having it cover adding a guitar track and a vocal track would be way cool.

Currently i do klunky things like throw stereo track into a mixer and record stereo output on a hi def recorder.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Ok so i figured out how to do this with audacity using mixer can send stuff in and hack on stuff in audacity throw mp3s out.

Are there advantages to Studio One?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Ok so i figured out how to do this with audacity using mixer can send stuff in and hack on stuff in audacity throw mp3s out.
Are there advantages to Studio One?

If that's all you want to do, no.
But if you might ever want to do anything to your recording after you record it, then yes.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
If that's all you want to do, no.
But if you might ever want to do anything to your recording after you record it, then yes.

Shoot I definitely need the tutorial ha ha ...

I installed the Studio One Prime and was able to configure it so I could hear my mixer sending input.

I could not for the life of me figure out how to start recording the sound I had coming in.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Shoot I definitely need the tutorial ha ha ...

I installed the Studio One Prime and was able to configure it so I could hear my mixer sending input.

I could not for the life of me figure out how to start recording the sound I had coming in.
If you can hear the sound coming from the mixer, you should just be able to hit record.
You need to "Create A New Song" and make sure that you "Arm" the track. (The "record" button on the track needs to be red.
When you are ready to actually record, you should just need to pres the large record button at the bottom. (You should see activity in the meters for the track that you are trying to record)

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
If you can hear the sound coming from the mixer, you should just be able to hit record.
You need to "Create A New Song" and make sure that you "Arm" the track. (The "record" button on the track needs to be red.

Yeah i did not see anywhere a record button will try again tomorrow ... thanks Mike!

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Well managed to find a record button and clicked it had stereo coming thru but was not able to figure out how to get mp3 out ... dang it wanted to save it as a .song file yikes!

Whos working on tutorial ha ha?

Big print lots of screen shots please!

In the meantime Audacity is ok ish i can finagle thru it mp3 stereo into mixer add as much stuff into mixer as want and get stereo track mp3 out. Thats good enough for me at the moment ...

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
On the menu select SONG then MIXDOWN
On the MIXDOWN screen, be sure to select the LOCATION, FILENAME and FORMAT