DAW Reaper/Boss Katana Preference Setup

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Just wondering if anyone here uses Reaper with a Boss Katana 50 amp. I’m trying to set up the preferences so I can record my guitar directly into my computer via USB over a jam track. I’d like to be able to hear both the jam track and guitar play back through my computer power speakers. Not sure what I’m doing wrong but something tells me it has something to do with drivers. I was and still do use Audacity and im understanding that Reaper and/or Boss Katana don’t recognize the same drivers. Appreciate any help anyone can offer to get me started.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I don't know reaper. However in a lot of daws you cannot have a different interface for in and out. Might want to check what the i/o is showing as in reaper. You may have to listen through the amp. Which I would sugest is the easiest and most convienient way in my opinion.

cheers

Al.

Ivan

Blues Newbie
I don't know reaper. However in a lot of daws you cannot have a different interface for in and out. Might want to check what the i/o is showing as in reaper. You may have to listen through the amp. Which I would sugest is the easiest and most convienient way in my opinion.

cheers

Al.

Thanks Al. I’ll check that out.

artyman

Fareham UK
There is a setting in Audacity where the input plays back within Audacity, though you do have the latency problem. Are you loading the BT into Audacity? I would guess to mute the amp output just shove some headphones in the socket

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Ivan

I'd like to understand the issue a bit better...
I assume you can play your track, and output it to your computer speakers now...?
Can play your guitar, through your Katana and output it to your computer speakers now...?

If so them it would sound to me like the issue is recording the guitar track which is coming from your amp, via USB...?

You have likely already been here but... in case you haven't. Here is a great video course on setting up and using Reaper.
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

Good luck. Hope to hear back from you regarding this.

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Thanks Chris and Artyman. I don’t know what it is with Reaper and the drivers that gives me such a hard time trying to record directly into my computer. I think I’m going to give it a break for awhile. I’ll just stick with micing the amp with my Focusrite interface and record using Audacity. It’s not as sophisticated as Reaper but it always works....and it’s free!

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
FWIW I'm not a recording guru by any stretch of the imagination but I have used reaper

I create a track and drag and drop my backing track into the new track.
I create a new track for my guitar... [see track setting below] then I record the track... I do use headphones and can listen to both the backing track and my playing through the headphones. I don't think I have ever tried recording using my external PC speakers.

track set to record audio or midi.
Options/preferences/audio is set to
Direct Sound
Input device - Primary Sound Capture Driver
Output Device - Primary Sound Driver

I *THINK* those are the important settings... for me. My adapter uses ASIO drivers but I have had some issues with ASIO drivers in the past

Don't know if this is helpful or not but still wish you good luck and hope you are able to beat it insto submission to get what you want. When you do I hope you will let us know.

Ivan

Blues Newbie
FWIW I'm not a recording guru by any stretch of the imagination but I have used reaper

I create a track and drag and drop my backing track into the new track.
I create a new track for my guitar... [see track setting below] then I record the track... I do use headphones and can listen to both the backing track and my playing through the headphones. I don't think I have ever tried recording using my external PC speakers.

track set to record audio or midi.
Options/preferences/audio is set to
Direct Sound
Input device - Primary Sound Capture Driver
Output Device - Primary Sound Driver

I *THINK* those are the important settings... for me. My adapter uses ASIO drivers but I have had some issues with ASIO drivers in the past

Don't know if this is helpful or not but still wish you good luck and hope you are able to beat it insto submission to get what you want. When you do I hope you will let us know.

Thanks Chris. I’ll give this a try.....

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I've been getting into Reaper because it allows me to separate my interface into two different tracks...and has more available options...therefore the steeper learning curve...I'd do the Pro Tools thing but don't want to pay the yearly fees...Reaper gets me more in that direction without the ongoing costs...

I had to set up the ASIO drivers to read my 11R and then config the output to back to the 11R...with headphones, I can hear the playback track and my guitar all at the same time...you should be able to do the same with the BK...sorry I can't help much more but I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve...

with Pro Tools, Audacity and Reaper, I know it's in there somewhere...but "somewhere" can be a PIA...o_O...later.

cowboy

Ivan

Blues Newbie
I've been getting into Reaper because it allows me to separate my interface into two different tracks...and has more available options...therefore the steeper learning curve...I'd do the Pro Tools thing but don't want to pay the yearly fees...Reaper gets me more in that direction without the ongoing costs...

I had to set up the ASIO drivers to read my 11R and then config the output to back to the 11R...with headphones, I can hear the playback track and my guitar all at the same time...you should be able to do the same with the BK...sorry I can't help much more but I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve...

with Pro Tools, Audacity and Reaper, I know it's in there somewhere...but "somewhere" can be a PIA...o_O...later.

cowboy

Thanks Cowboy. I’m sure I’ll get it figured out one day. I still have Audacity to fall back on so no big deal. But you're right....it can be be a royal PIA!

Jack

Blues Junior
I don't know about your amp, but I use Amplitube 3 amp modelling software, and in the settings, I've got the "input device" and "output device" both set to the Focusrite.

In Reaper, if you go into the pulldown menu for "options", way at the bottom is "preferences", and in the dialogue box that comes up, choose "device" from the "audio" submenu, and...well here's what mine looks like:

EiLqx2Y.jpg