Reading tabs or memorizing

N

nwforehand59

Just started working with BBG and working on Sitting Easy Blues.  Are you suppose to memorize the piece of music or should you be able to look at the tabs and play along?  Looking at the tabs I can pretty much keep up but my fingers will start to wonder and I end up placing a finger on the wrong fret or string.  If I look at my fretting hand I can keep up but end up forgetting where I am in the music. 

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Ideally, it really works better if you can memorize it and not be distracted by having to look at the music.  Usually, if you take it a lick at a time and just keep adding to it gradually, it doesn't take that long to learn.

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
I agree with Elio, try to memorize if you can.  I had the same question when I began the BBG couse.  I just finished the BBG course and found I made graeter strides when i began to memorize the pieces instead of continually referenceing the tabs.  Take it slow, a little at a time and it will come.  Good luck with the course!

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
It helps to have a teacher to point out specific things but when you are on your own you have to find your way.  Consider listening to what you want to learn first – over and over. 

That can be done with audio software by cutting a piece and saving it in a file.  You can name it and state the bars involved.   Loop it, and then follow the notation for the part you want to work on.  Some parts are more difficult so you might end up learning one bar or even a part of a bar until you get it down.   

You can play along with the music while you follow the notation.  Use a metronome set to a slow speed and follow it.  Increase speed as you learn the piece.

It is good to set a goal for any piece you are learning by trying to play as much as you can that is comfortable.  You are the boss when it comes to that aspect of learning.  If you had a teacher you would be pushed.   

One concept is that your eyes tell your brain what to have your fingers do and then the fingers make the music.  When your ears say that you have it, you no longer have to look at the notation.  It belongs to you! 

So just take some bite sized chunks and have at it.  After you can play the piece, record and date it.  It also helps to keep a log book with dates, and comments concerning what you are doing.  When you can play through a piece it is time to consider moving on to the next piece.         

Tom

N

nwforehand59

Thanks guys, I kind of figured it was best to memorize since
I never see any guys on stage with a music stand.  This is a good course and its very easy to understand, this is probably the best money I have spent on any music course.  Looking forward to moving on to BGU as soon as I
take my time and finish the BBG.

Addicted2guitar

Blues Newbie
I memorized it! After playing it 200 times, you will have it memorized. Still can't keep up with CD though! The beat doesn't wait for you to play it right. Keep playing & playing it over & over! It will come around for you!

Jeffrey Goblirsch

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Keep playing & playing it over & over! It will come around for you!

Jeffrey Goblirsch
This right here is probably the biggest key to success. Use your ears and just keep playing along with me. There are a thousand little nuances and subtle things that can't really be articulated verbally but you will pick up on them if you just play along with me a few times each day.

Once you have something memorized and can play it about 80% of full speed and you are starting to feel comfortable more often than not, go ahead and move on through the course. But don't forget to go back and play some of your old lessons each day or every 2 or 3 days so you don't forget them - and so you can see your progress.

TonyS

Blues Newbie
As you practice more you will memorise it easily and even find that you don't need to look at your hands too much either.

kdmccarty

Blues Newbie
One thing I really like about Griff's course is that he includes musical notation. I find if you are able to read music it is so much easier. I personally find tab too minimalistic (or more likely I'm too dense to make sense of it!) I also think if you apply his chord teachings and try to record and play to your own backing track and also to his you can progress more quickly. Another thing I enjoy doing is to vary the voicings (overdrive, clean, different pickups etc) when I play the songs. Helps keep me interested!

kiroba

Blues Newbie
Just started working with BBG and working on Sitting Easy Blues.  Are you suppose to memorize the piece of music or should you be able to look at the tabs and play along?  Looking at the tabs I can pretty much keep up but my fingers will start to wonder and I end up placing a finger on the wrong fret or string.  If I look at my fretting hand I can keep up but end up forgetting where I am in the music. 
I am so glad that I found this because it answers so much about exactly where I am. I couldn't figure out why I kept messing up on something I know I could do. Bottom line is that I'm over thinking and trying to divide my mind into too many directions for a beginner. So now back to it only with small bites and chew on each awhile. Digest that and then take another bite, so on & so forth. This helps a whole bunch:)