Re: Video Surgeon 2 Issue

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
I've had Video Surgeon 2 since 2014. The You Tube Sniffer always worked fine until recently. I now get ExitCode; #1 and Error ID:#7. Can't find anything on internet.
I did hear somewhere that VS 3 didn't have the You Tube Sniffer (copyright issues?) which I have used a great deal. Do you know if it has been disabled or if I am just doing something wrong? Appreciative of any advice and help. Thanks.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I've had Video Surgeon 2 since 2014. The You Tube Sniffer always worked fine until recently. I now get ExitCode; #1 and Error ID:#7. Can't find anything on internet.
I did hear somewhere that VS 3 didn't have the You Tube Sniffer (copyright issues?) which I have used a great deal. Do you know if it has been disabled or if I am just doing something wrong? Appreciative of any advice and help. Thanks.

Ron, have you checked out the FAQ on videosurgeon.net (all the way at the bottom, Q #5)? They have separated the downloader and offer it for sale as a stand-alone. Don't know if the problems you're having have anything to do with the issues described there, however it may be that Google is finally taking steps to break it.

There is a web service that Video Surgeon offers for free (https://downloadsurgeon.com/online/) that may still be working.

ervjohns

Blues Junior
Im on a MAC but they did the same thing and separated the sniffer from the main product in V3, Mine came with a free trial with limited functionality.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
When I used V2 I found the sniffer would periodically fail when youtube changed their software to try defeat the downloaders. Video surgeon would normally produce a fix and all would work again. I guess this may have happened and as they no longer support V2 it wont get a patch. I found it getting flaky years ago which was one of the reasons I didn't mind upgrading. The free firefox you tube download extension works well for me instead anyway.

Reactions: dvs

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Dr. Ron, I don't know what is going on. But considering my experience I'm lead to believe it is something with your system rather than with VS overall. I used VS2 to download a couple YT videos yesterday. No problem.

Interestingly, maybe, I used VS to download these because my normal route for downloading failed. I normally use ClipGrab but for some reason it didn't feel like cooperating. I use it so much more frequently that I had largely forgotten about the "Sniffer". Then when i did remember it I got my stuff.

This is, of course, absolutely no help to you. Maybe, @dvs ' suggestion will help. As @Al Holloway said, V2 is no longer supported but when one loads the YT Sniffer it does still check to see if it is the most current version.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Thank you Al and Matonanjin. Good information. For now, I am assuming that my system is the problem and I am contacting VS Support. In any event, finding that there are alternatives to the YT Sniffer is encouraging.

Last edited:

ervjohns

Blues Junior
Their support was very helpful, my trial version started to time out after a minor system upgrade. They must have sent me 3 or 4 versions to try, but finally the next Mac/OS upgrade fixed the problem, by then I had a fully functional version of the Download Manager

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
@ervjohns support for the Download Manager (what it sounds like) or Video Surgeon? I'm glad you had a positive experience. I haven't. They have a great product, the best video slow down product available, IMHO. My dealings with Mr. Todd, the developer/owner, have not matched my experience using the product. Did I say that correctly?:unsure:;)

ervjohns

Blues Junior
I was referring to the now unbundled download tool, I think it is now called Download Manager (includes uTube sniffer and 3 other tools) but I am not right in front of it right now. Other than the 8 month delay for Mac versions of the product I have no complaints

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
If you use a Mac and upgraded your OS on a regular basis then something in one of the MacOS upgrades broke it. I have it also and really find it not as useful without that function. I love Mac's but I hate how they abandon users apps and hardware drivers in their constant upgrades and unwillingness to provide backward compatibility. Literally made my 11R less functional and more tedious to use.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Yes Dennis, it is the primary reason I use Video Surgeon. I sent a request to support; but, nothing yet. I just downloaded ClipGrab that Matonanjin recommended. It downloaded my selected video. Then I imported into VS2 without a problem So, that might fill the void. I'll see how it goes but so far so good!