Re: Steppenwolf at the OC fair.

dougbriney

Blues Newbie
Dan,
What a sad tale. I agree that it's us "little people" that support bands, etc. It's a shame that the rich, the elite, and the corporate are given "privileged" access. Hopefully John Kay did read your email and will take it to heart.

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
Dan - sorry for your experience - but, including Dan here now: Who said the people with passes were rich, elite or corporate"?

Could have been a childhood friend or family of someone in the band (even the crew) - or maybe some special circumstance like "dying of cancer and a Make-A-Wish type organization arranged a backstage pass"?

Seems like assumptions of "privilege" fly faster these days than they used to...

Kevin

dougbriney

Blues Newbie
Dan - sorry for your experience - but, including Dan here now: Who said the people with passes were rich, elite or corporate"?

Could have been a childhood friend or family of someone in the band (even the crew) - or maybe some special circumstance like "dying of cancer and a Make-A-Wish type organization arranged a backstage pass"?

Seems like assumptions of "privilege" fly faster these days than they used to...

Kevin

Kevin, You're right. Thanks for calling me out on that assumption.

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
No sweat, Doug - I'm sorry too that Dan didn't get to meet John Kay - but don't let's be doin' any hatin' on other people - that won't help the situation! :)

Kevin

dougbriney

Blues Newbie
No sweat, Doug - I'm sorry too that Dan didn't get to meet John Kay - but don't let's be doin' any hatin' on other people - that won't help the situation! :)

Kevin

Correctamundo Kevin! Read a book once called happy crap. Basically an exercise in changing negative assumptions into positive, in this case my negative assumption (Rich, corporate) as opposed to the positive side you presented (Make A Wish, etc). Bit of backsliding but I'm back on the horse!  :)

mark

Blues Newbie
About 15 or 20 years ago, I saw Spencer Davis play at the O.C. Fairgrounds (but not in the Pacific Amphitheatre). After the show, I went to buy some refreshments, and who should get in line behind me--none other than Spencer himself! I told him I enjoyed the show and we chatted for a few minutes. It was fun seeing somebody famous being just another guy in the snack bar line!

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
       Hey Dan,

First off thanks for the post ... I am a MAJOR Steppenwolf fan... Anyone living the insanity of the 60's Drug Culture and/or that rode a Harley as I did can relate ... Second : Major Drag you got jacked like that ... I must salute John Kay for referencing Viet Nam Veterans of which I am one, that was great to hear.

As to the backstage gig : Do these performers actually even have knowledge as to how their handlers navigate the intricacies of putting together a concert and the handling of the fan base ? The blame (or the reason) may lie in their direction ... not taking away from the fact in my opinion they SHOULD be aware. If it was not for us (the fans) they'd be workin' at Walmart or McDonalds.    :eek:

The way you handled it : I would have followed suit.

A.B.

panther

Blues Newbie
Kevin;
Then I have to assume that no one that called back stage or any of the security people, or Charlie Wolf, the fan club president. To a man/woman. NO ONE knew who those people were. Keep in mind I saw the people that went backstage. They walked right past use like we weren't there. After hanging around by the stage for about 15 minutes, and talking to many security, and stage personnel, don't you think at least one person would have known who they were.
I belong to the Steppenwolf Fan club, I showed them my card, they called backstage and even read off the information on the card to whom ever. They did not even have the courtesy to agree to sign a paper send back stage.
Yes you may be right, but I don't think so.
Steppenwolf fans are a different lot, you piss us off, we'll let you know about it.
If nothing else, I hope they handle things in a different manner from now on. That would be great.
Besides, did you not read what I said about being with the WIDOW of a Vietnam Veteran ? This Lady that was with us, broke down and started crying right there in front of everyone.
That is probably what set me off. They were waving the flag and showing many visuals of the Vietnam era.
If I've been overly rude or harsh, moderators please feel free to delete this. I'm just very passionate about certain things and waiting 46 years for something is one of them.

Dan

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
     Hey Dan,

Did I misinterpret what you wrote concerning John Kay's reference to Viet Vets ? Was the son-of-a-bitch praising and referring to draft dodgers ?
                                          A.B.

panther

Blues Newbie
AB;
No He was very pro Vietnam Vets. I just threw in the thought that it would be ironic that those people may have been Draft Dodgers.
What upset me was, all the talk and display about Vietnam, and then to have a widow of a Vietnam veteran start to cry right there by the stage, and no one cared just really pissed me off.
A frigging autograph is all she wanted. I also would have like one, but if we only got one, I would have given it to her.

Dan

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
AB;
No He was very pro Vietnam Vets. I just threw in the thought that it would be ironic that those people may have been Draft Dodgers.
What upset me was, all the talk and display about Vietnam, and then to have a widow of a Vietnam veteran start to cry right there by the stage, and no one cared just really pissed me off.
A frigging autograph is all she wanted. I also would have like one, but if we only got one, I would have given it to her.

Dan

Totally understood ... than you for clearing that up ... Major Drag concerning the Viet Nam Veteran Widow ... You would think folks would rush to see she got a damn autograph ... Nature of the Beast my friend.    :mad:

A.B.

panther

Blues Newbie
I want to state up front that the Concert was Fabulous, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was what happened next that bugs me.

I want to share something that most will probably find irrelevant.
Last night July 27,2014, Me and 5 other friends and family went to the OC fairgrounds to see "The Grass roots", and "Steppenwolf". The first time I heard Steppenwolf was at a family Christmas party 1968. My cousin invited me to listen to a new group he just started listening to. It was Steppenwolf. So for the next 46 years I listened, and shared, and had many fond memories of that first association with Steppenwolf in 1968. Like many others I build my memories from individual episodes like the one mentioned. That was enhanced by "Easy Rider" the next year 1969.
The concert went on and we all thoroughly enjoyed it, John kay several times mentioned our Vietnam Veterans, and one of the people that was in our group just happens to be a widow of a Vietnam Veteran. After the show, we worked our way down to the front, for the most part the Amphitheater was empty except for a few stragglers and us. We asked at the stage if it were possible to get an autograph from John, and were told No "Meet and Greet". I showed them my membership card to the fan club, and asked if someone could at least take a show ticket back to get it signed. One of the security personnel told us, "The band had left the building". About this time another group approached the stage, and showed a paper to the Security Guard. He looked at it, and said; "Oh passes, you can go right through that gate over there." Which led back stage.
That's when it all fell apart. The people paying the bills, and buying the merchandise, are shunned in favor of the Elite that PROBABLY DIDN'T EVEN PAY FOR THEIR TICKETS. I contacted the fan club today and complained, I also said I was returning my card and all of the little gifts associated with it. The only response basically was, "So you want me to take you off the mailing list " ARE YOU SERIOUS ? I wrote another lengthy email and addressed it to John personally. I told Charlie (head of the club), and said to him; "the sad part is John will never see the email", I did get a response From Charlie he told me he forwarded it, and John did read it.
Rant finished, just extremely disappointed, I waited 46 years to see them perform, I guess I should have kept my money, and listened to the CD's.

Dan