Re MIX of "Gimme Dem Bones"

Elwood

Blues
MOTO-MOJO indeed! Nice studio work Cap'n!(y)

BCB, you must have pulled up the original. I went to do an A -B comparison and no joy. That is kind of a shock when you see how much difference he makes eh? Very cool.:cool: It is good that you gave him a well done track to work with.:thumbup:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
MOTO-MOJO indeed! Nice studio work Cap'n!(y)

BCB, you must have pulled up the original. I went to do an A -B comparison and no joy. That is kind of a shock when you see how much difference he makes eh? Very cool.:cool: It is good that you gave him a well done track to work with.:thumbup:
Yes I did take it down---other wise there would have been two on my Soundcloud page. I probably should of left it on there for at least a couple days, then people will understand how much a good mix sounds over a half assed mix. I just felt that most of the people come down here had already heard it...Oh well to late now. Maybe next time?.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Dave was brave enough to let me mess with his song.
Thanks.

Just look'n for chances to practice mixing on something other then my own songs.
This was a great song to start with and the mix of speaking & singing presented an interesting opportunity.

I sure couldn't do much to improve it.
I didn't have the individual tracks so, it was a little more like mastering then remixing:

-Took out a few clicks and string squeaks.
-Smoothed out the start and finish fades.
-Applied some compression to tame the dynamics in the vocal.
-Brought the volume up a bit
-A few EQ adjustments.

Glad Dave liked what I did.
I'm no pro........ so, I could have really screwed it up.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Cool.:cool: I would love to hear your take on my work. Only thing is, I haven't got a clue how to go about it.:confused: So I'll have to do some research in the mean time. A lot of those tracks have automation on them. Do you know if I can send automation with a track, or do I have to MP3 the track and send as an MP3 file?

Plus, I work in Logic ProX, and I think you are PC based. Does that matter?

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
the mix of speaking & singing presented an interesting opportunity.
That's comes from my--- John "Lightning" Hopkins influence. He was noted as a guy that just went anywhere he felt like going with vocals and his guitar playing---and song writing.. But you made it sound good---:thumbup: Would you be up for a 7 tracker?--:)---just joking buddy. Later.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Cool.:cool: I would love to hear your take on my work. Only thing is, I haven't got a clue how to go about it.:confused: So I'll have to do some research in the mean time. A lot of those tracks have automation on them. Do you know if I can send automation with a track, or do I have to MP3 the track and send as an MP3 file?

Plus, I work in Logic ProX, and I think you are PC based. Does that matter?
I'll PM you to follow up.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Dave,
Given this is one of your new songs using your new set up, I'm interested in knowing a little more of your recording technique for this one.

Did you sing, play, record all at once?
Did you track separately then mix them?

What mic or mics did you use?

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I recorded it on 2 channels---Guitar straight into the ZOOM (Squire strat middle pickup)--SM-58 style Audio tech mic. Did them both at the same time. I TRIED to EQ the vocals--but with very little luck--(little better but not that much) I had to drop the low DBs down to Minus 8 on the guitar was to tingy.---then added a little course on the vocals. I did turn the vocals down a hair--then I bounced them over to the master track---and that's what I got. I was trying to work on that compression thing today NA-DA- if there was I couldn't tell it. --- The Zoom has 8Xcomp. EQ--(whatever that means)? it also has a High band filter--Comp. Limiter---3band EQ. and Isolater---which I know NOTHING ABOUT. I did kind of rush it--I should have worked on it more before I put it on OMR. All is well, that ends well..You know how that goes. Later

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Thanks Dave,
I thought it sounded very good.
I don't know nutt'n about how the Zoom works but, it's doing its job so far.