Rasta I Am

Stan

Blues Newbie
as some of you know i live on a Caribbean island,
in ALL of the Caribbean Bob Marley is a legend  there is not a day i don't hear a song by the man either radio, streets, tv, people humming, on cloths, you name it,
i'll even be bold to literal say he's attained GOD status amongst these peoples,

so i was at a get together last week and i was invited to play with a few Rastafarian's playing Reggae, now mind you i'm a blues-man and the beat of Reggae is so off the edge for guitar that it's hard to find the groove even just on the rhythm side,

i was among 50 and 60 yo musicians who's daily motto is: Leave your mind alone and just get High ! (know the song?)
part of their religion ya know!

playing Reggae to the right beat is hard to get used to, it was only after a Rum that i found the groove........................groove in the Rum perhaps ;)

here's a pic to see http://www.4shared.com/file/192785725/16f6b592/IMG_2178.html sorry no audio  :'(
me on the forward right side

now i really appreciate Reggae after playing all of Marley's songs a few times, i even introduced a blues groove to the boys which we had fun with !

I

IrishRover

Stan that is some people's definition of heaven.  I envy you.  I have been a fan of Bob Marley for a long time, also Desmond Dekker.  It took Eric Clapton to make Marley's "I Shot the Sheriff" popular.

Stan

Blues Newbie
yea it was heaven

these people are the kindest and gentile people around

great time

one of the men i play with he's named himself "I Free" that's the only name i know him by,
he only drinks rain water and coconut water, eats only raw food that he grows, doesn't drink alcohol or smoke anything, but dig this he sprinkles all his food with ganja as it's called here !

johnc

systematic
Thanks for that Stan,  It must be hard to take, but someone has to do it I suppose ;).  Good on you for stepping up.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Stan,

Are you playing the little travel guitar that you showed us a few days back?  They must have got a kick out of that! :eek:

That looks like fun.  My buddy that runs a music store and gives lessons (not my teacher) has been doing an Adult Jam on Friday nights.  I have been hesitant to go because of the unknown and it is out of my confort zone.  But I am thinking of going this Friday.  That the hell, right?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hey STAN, I envy you. Living in the Carib, playing live. IT looks like you had a ball, too bad there's no recording!
Are you in hiding? You didn't mention the island.  ;)

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Stan... what can I say that the others haven't. It all just looks and sounds so cool - good on yer!  [smiley=beer.gif]

Stan

Blues Newbie
Stan,

Are you playing the little travel guitar that you showed us a few days back?  They must have got a kick out of that! :eek:

That looks like fun.  My buddy that runs a music store and gives lessons (not my teacher) has been doing an Adult Jam on Friday nights.  I have been hesitant to go because of the unknown and it is out of my confort zone.  But I am thinking of going this Friday.  That the hell, right?

i'm using somebodys Epiphone solid body "special II" model with bolt on neck made in china, i enjoyed playing it,

i hear your hesitation, going to a place you've never gone to before and lots of strangers i think would be harder for me, i knew most of these folks so my comfort zone was relaxed, and the venue was great, top deck of house 100 feet from the atlantic, not too shabby  :)

560sdl

Blues Newbie
i'm using somebodys Epiphone solid body "special II" model with bolt on neck made in china, i enjoyed playing it,

It looked a little like the red neck of the little guitar you posted, so I was just thinking............what their reaction would have been. :)

G

Garymcm

Love that song. "Everythings gonna be alright!"

Looks pretty right to me - Stan,

In a few more years you'll even understand cricket.

Cheers
Gary

gpower

Blues Junior
There's a game I don't know I'll ever get. Though I read an interesting description recently.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Got it?

H

Hippy_Hawk

Reading that made my ear ringing start up again.   :p

Stan you are lucky!!!!
That looks like alot of fun.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Yea, lot of fun, especially the part about wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt in January while the rest of us are freezing!

Stan

Blues Newbie
Love that song. "Everythings gonna be alright!"

Looks pretty right to me - Stan,

In a few more years you'll even understand cricket.

Cheers
Gary

ya know a few years ago world cup cricket was held all over the caribbean, so i decided to go and watch and learn when they came to town,

i did enjoy the cup fever and the stadium antics of the locals, i even know LBW

or is it FBW LOL