Quick Question

Jim58

Never was the man I used to be
Hi All. This may have already been asked. I know the circle of 5ths/4ths and how to use key signatures. Do I still need Griff's Music Theory and if yes why?

BradB

Blues Newbie
I'm going to get it...I have been enjoying the sample lessons. Just waiting for it to go on sale! ;)

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I t
Hi All. This may have already been asked. I know the circle of 5ths/4ths and how to use key signatures. Do I still need Griff's Music Theory and if yes why?
I think that's a personal decision, I find theory fascinating, but not necessarily required to play well, it's just how well you want to understand what your playing or if just playing it is enough

Jim58

Never was the man I used to be
I t

I think that's a personal decision, I find theory fascinating, but not necessarily required to play well, it's just how well you want to understand what your playing or if just playing it is enough

Hey Papa. Agreed. Knowing theory opens many musical doors. I'm in.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
In addition to the circle of 5ths and the key signatures you'll also learn the "how" and "why" of chords and their construction and how chord progressions work. If you have those things down you might not need it.

The one thing I have discovered that music theory is actually pretty good at is to reduce that "I can play lot's of songs and licks on guitar that I've learned but I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing" feeling.

YMMV of course. I also always think that knowing how something works can't hurt. And it might be useful.

Eric

david moon

Attempting the Blues
In addition to the circle of 5ths and the key signatures you'll also learn the "how" and "why" of chords and their construction and how chord progressions work. If you have those things down you might not need it.

The one thing I have discovered that music theory is actually pretty good at is to reduce that "I can play lot's of songs and licks on guitar that I've learned but I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing" feeling.

YMMV of course. I also always think that knowing how something works can't hurt. And it might be useful.

Eric
I'm with you that I need a theory framework to hang things on.

Jim- if you're the same Jim I hope you are doing well. We should try to get together even though it's harder since you moved.