Question re: Major Scales

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
I hope this is the correct place for this question. I am taking Major Minor Blues Scales and there's a difference between what Griff calls his Box 2 for the A major scale and what I learned as the A major scale as seen in this graphic. Can someone tell me why there is a difference?

Thank you,

Ned

Attachments

• A MAJOR SCALE.jpg
    A MAJOR SCALE.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 7

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
The boxes are pentatonic scales (5 notes). The A major scale you posted is the diatonic scale (8 notes).

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Take out the 4th and 7th notes in each octave of your graphic and you'll have Box 2 of the A Major Pentatonic scale.

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Learning a bit of music theory can be fun, and useful! Little things like I, IV, and V chords. What notes are in a scale? Here is something I put together a few years ago that might help a bit. I would suggest that you do research on Blues Guitar Theory. Even a little can be helpful.

Tom

Attachments

• Major Blues Pentatonic Scales.pdf
    271.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Minor Blues Pentatonic Scales.pdf
    264.5 KB · Views: 8

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
I appreciate this Tom! I will take them to Kinkos so I can print them out in color and have them laminated. I think the issue I have is that Music is Math, and my brain has never worked that way which is why I was in the visual arts all my life. My eyes glaze over when Griff starts talking theory. I am a Monkey See/Monkey Do learner, I have always played by ear. In fact, I have always hit the flat 3rd without knowing what I was doing because being a 67 year old Chicagoan I grew up with the blues being the local club scene music.

I do understand the 1,4,5 thing, I joined BUG for two main reasons:

1) Learn how to play the chord changes (which I now know means hitting specific notes)

2) Mix the major and minor (and that's what I am having a problem with)

Your graphics will really help!

Best,

Ned

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I think the issue I have is that Music is Math, and my brain has never worked that way
There is no math involved here. Unless you consider counting up to 7 to be "math".

You are simply assigning a number to each note of the Major Scale.

In your own graphic, assign the number 1 to each R and count and number the notes in order up to 7. Start with 1 again at the next R.

That's it.

For the Major Pentatonic, omit all the 4's and 7's = Box 2.

For a Natural minor scale, lower all the 3's, 6's and 7's in your graphic one fret and call them b3's, b6's and b7's, respectively.

For a minor Pentatonic, omit all the 2's and b6's = Box 1.

Then when Griff refers to these notes by number you'll know where they are in this position. :)

If you work through this in all 5 positions, you'll end up with the charts @Silicon Valley Tom provided.

(Tom also adds the "blue" notes that aren't from the Major or Natural minor scales.)

Last edited: