Question on Comping Pattern and Chords

Dewesq55

Blues Newbie
Due to arthritis in my fretting (left) hand fingers, which is getting worse, I have a very difficult time fretting chords. In fact, I pretty much can't fret many of the basic open position chords we all learned at the start of our guitar playing journey (a C chord, for instance per a "rock 'n roll" G). For me that was 50 years ago. I can still manage single note lines (at least to the extent that I ever could!) But for rhythm playing I am relegated to bar chords, which are also getting harder for me and "little chords." So I have started to focus some practice time on getting comfortable with the little chords and the comping pattern. So here's my question: is there any rhyme or reason to when you use 3-note chords and when you use the 2-note versions? I find the 2 note chords much easier to play cleanly than the 3 note ones. Also I find them a lot easier to pluck with the hybrid pick and finger technique since that's also a skill I struggle with. In one of the email blog post lessons Griff sent out some time ago with a video on "The Comping Pattern," the text before the video says the pattern is great for "your two note chords" but the video shows and talks only about 3 note chords. Is it ok to just focus on 2 note chords when comping with a band or jam track? Sorry for the long post.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I don't have any experience playing in a band or at a jam, but the impression I get is that you're mostly trying to stay out of the way until it's "solo time". Comping with a couple notes basically just gives you something to do in the meantime during the vocals or other soloists.:unsure: