Question on bends

Discussion in 'SWS Questions' started by DesmoDog, May 3, 2010.

1. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy

I'm working on lesson two, and I'm finding my main problem seems to be - when I bend the string up I of course hit the next two strings. No problem. But when I bring it back down again, it's almost like I'm plucking the 4th and/or 5th string on the way down. They get pushed under my fingers on the way up and then pop up and ring when I slide my fingers back down again... typically it's the 4th string but sometimes the 5th.

It doesn't happen ALL the time, but I'm not sure what I'm doing differently between it happening and not happening.

So what's up with that?

(Oh, and my not as main problem is the nagging feel that the string is going to go POP!   :eek:     :)   )

2. wgabree

wgabree Blues Newbie

Desmo - this is standard fair when learning to bend.  It just takes practice and building muscle strength and control, as well as developing muting techniques to avoid unwanted string ringing.

You mention the 4 & 5 strings - which string are you bending? (1st is the thinnest, 6th is the thickest)

The fear of the snapping string will subside after you do it a few more hundred times!  :p

3. Lame_Pinky

Lame_Pinky Guest

Keep your fingernails trimmed too Des, when bending your nails will more often than not " pluck " the string above it.
    If it your fingers going over the top or underneath then as Wayne stated time is the only thing here that will get you out of doing that, time & experience.

LP

4. DesmoDog

D'oh! 

The thinnest one... high E. It's the B and G that end up going under my fingertips too. My fingernails aren't hanging up on them, they just slide under my fingertips on the way up and then pop out again on the way down.

5. Cyberthrasher_706

Cyberthrasher_706 Blues Newbie

I do that all the time. The best cure I've found is making sure I palm mute and focus on pushing on the strings with the tip of my finger instead of letting my finger slip under them. Sometimes that means pushing the other strings up in the air and letting them gently come back down again when I release the bend. It's not flawless, but it works. You're always going to touch those strings when you bend, you just have to figure out a way to get them to shut up.

6. smeg

smeg Blues Newbie

I'm with Cyber on this one. I had(have) that problem also. I found that if I "rotate" my fingers so I am bending with the TIPS  then the strings kinda "slide" up my fingernail and don't get caught under the finger or the fingernail. Then I try to mute everything when I release. It also works better when I bend a note up and down to let it ring.

7. Griff

Griff Chief Cook And Bottle Washer
    Staff Member

Check out this video also - it's a common problem for sure.
    http://www.bluesguitarunleashed.com/blog/60/muting-unwanted-strings/

Griff

8. Cyberthrasher_706

Thaks Griff. I forgot all about that video.

9. DesmoDog

Alrighty then. After playing my Ibanez for about half an hour I decided to pick up my Saga kit, whcih has issues so I rarely ever play it. It's maybe got an hour of playing time on it.

Less than five minutes practicing bends and POP. Woo Hoo! Broke my first string!   :eek:

The bad news is, it was a string that had maybe an hour's worth of playing time. The not so bad news is.. that string had been wound up in a bag for at least 25 yeas before being put on a guitar. I really only had it on there to do the initial set up of the guitar, which btw I never really did...

So, one down, many others to go!  :cool:

10. Lame_Pinky

Lame_Pinky Guest

So...it wasn't exactly a brand new string then  ;D

LP

11. DesmoDog

Even better than new, it was an NOS set of strings!

12. luckylarry

luckylarry Student Of The Blues

Check to see if the string still has warranty. LOL

13. kgarkie

kgarkie Been living the blues.

Well, my b string is less than 2 weeks old and I popped the ferrel right off the end tonight bending it to match the 1st string I was playing at the same time (a Santana thing, play 2 strings, they kick more butt than just one).   More noodling on Solo 1.   Weird because I normally don't break many strings.  Dang, now, I'll just have to get out the LP and see if I can break one on it. 

14. wgabree

wgabree Blues Newbie

The two string bend was borrowed from Chuck Berry, who borrowed from T-Bone Walker, who borrowed from.... :cool:

15. Cyberthrasher_706

ME!!  ;D
    If only it were true. I'm just not that cool  :cool:

16. Rue

Rue Blues Newbie

Thanks for that video Griff...it helped a lot. 

17. Spencer

Spencer Blues Newbie

Great link with a wealth of information. Thanks for the tips and reposting of the video!

18. Rue

Rue Blues Newbie

Ok ....I've read everything about bending in here ....
    but I'm still not getting those bends down the way I need too..or want to.   Right now I'm getting a bend correct and easy about half the time.   Maybe that's good at this point in the game...I've been working on them since the first batch of SWS  came out.   Maybe I just expect to much too fast ????
    Input  wanted  guys/gals....or just some plain ole encouragement would be good too

19. wgabree

wgabree Blues Newbie

To some extent, its a matter of building up the muscle strength and that takes exercise - and time.  Just stick with it and I'll guarantee you'll get there.  We all share basically the same neurophysiology, so it's just a matter of what outcome is expected.  Expect to succeed!   :cool:

20. luckylarry

luckylarry Student Of The Blues

Rue, I have found to get better I need to go slower. Try slowing your bends down so you can hear every nuonce up to the time you have bent the string to the proper note. Pause, dampin the string. Now pick the string and come back to the original note. Do this for a few minutes each day and I bet you will find the speed and clarity take care of themselves. :)