Studio One Question about Drums in Studio One

MarcV

Blues Junior
Here is one more that I put together from a bunch of samples. I believe there are 3 different kick drums in this kit. The two in the A Group are tuned just slightly apart to mimic a double kick drum kit. I added a lot of stuff I wanted to have close at hand. I think the kit was mainly built from the Alesis samples. It even has a cowbell and a vibraslap!
https://paparaptor.com/drums/LloydsKit.soundx

Depending on your browser, you may have to right click and select Save Link As. in order for it to properly download. In Chrome it opens it as if it was an XML file.
Hey Lloyd. Tx. I think you had shared this before too.

@dvs. I had same experience as you explained above with the S1 drum sounds. Most if not all of them seem a little bit goofy. The sounds in Lloyds package here are very real though

Reactions: dvs

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Since this thread is focused on the drum kits in Impact XT, it seems only appropriate to share something that isn't abundantly clear (at least from what I've read) about how Studio One stores the drum kits.
There are two items within Studio One which create a drum kit, the .preset file and the .soundx file. The .preset file only points to where the samples are stored, relative to the file path on your computer. The .soundx file contains actual samples. The two do not have to be identical.
Additionally, Studio One delivers most of their drum kit presets and samples for Impact and their other Instruments in packages called .soundset files. Soundsets will contain samples, presets and possibly routing information and plug-in settings.
A preset file is simply a table of contents for a kit and does not contain any samples. It simply points ImpactXT to the location on your hard drive where the sample can be found. This can present some headscratching problems if you build a kit from removable media, like a USB flash drive and save it as a Preset. Let's say you have an entire package of samples you bought or downloaded from the Internet and you have them on a USB flash drive. You build a kit using the samples on the USB drive and save the preset. You remove the USB drive from your computer. The next time you open Studio One and call for that preset, you are going to get a whole bunch of file not found errors.
To avoid that, once you build the kit within ImpactXT, use the menu option in ImpactXT for Export Sample File...
export sampler file.png

This will create a .soundx file, which will gather all samples used within the kit and save them inside a single soundx file. This will also allow you to share a drum kit with other Studio One users.

If you are planning on sharing the kit and have some special mix routing or plug-ins applied (presumably Studio One plug-ins) and you want to share them with someone who may be working on a mix with you, you can choose the Export Instrument+FX Preset option, which will create a .soundset file. You can share that in the same way you would share a .soundx file.