Pure Tone Bends

Discussion in 'SWS Questions' started by john51, Nov 19, 2010.

1. john51

john51 Guest

Just wondering if there are any tips on getting rid of those unwanted sounds in a bend. For example, using the 3rd finger supported by the middle, as the bend is progressing the next string rolls off the middle finger with a doink. Or even if this doesn't happen the changing tension of the next strings come through the pickups.

Is the muting for this best practiced with the R-palm developing an accurate muting position? Or is it better to use the tip of the index over the unwanted strings?

Thanks in advance for any tips
    John

2. wgabree

wgabree Blues Newbie

Hey John - here's a link to Griff's Blog article about this:

http://www.bluesguitarunleashed.com/blog/60/muting-unwanted-strings/

Start there and other folks will chime in as well :cool:

3. john51

john51 Guest

Cool- That something to play with. Though on first try the hard bit is avoiding running the ringing string into the heel of my right hand before it reaches pitch.

Cheers
    John

4. Lame_Pinkey

Lame_Pinkey Guest

John do you mean the next string underneath or above the middle finger, just having trouble trying to visualise it thats all.

LP

5. john51

john51 Guest

Hey LP
    I'm talking about, for example, if bending string one(E) then string 2(B) rolls off/under my middle finger with a doink as it hits the fret board

Cheers

6. Lame_Pinkey

Lame_Pinkey Guest

I think i'm with you sort of like a small muted sound , could be,I'm guessing, you are close to your amp & so this is very audible to you but from a distance many of these little muted sounds would not be.If playing with others they'd be barely audible at all, its when you are releasing a bend that the adjacent string above rings (open) & that makes a very audible sound & thats the one you don't want.
    Unless its very audible I might not worry to much about it try playing by yourself & listen how loud it is then try playing the same thing with the backing track of whichever lesson it is you're working on & see if you notice it then.

LP

7. Cyberthrasher_706

Cyberthrasher_706 Blues Newbie

When you're bending, the adjacent strings should get bent too so they're not slipping under the finger. Sounds like you may be lifting the string off the fretboard as you're bending, which would place the next string under your finger. It just takes practice. I still have that problem a lot of times when I'm trying to do a real quick bend up to pitch. Just focus on pushing the string up right against the next one, and that one into the one after that, etc... They should all move in a straight line across the fretboard.

8. samwell

samwell been here.....

Know what John? You describe where attention's required in your original question bro`    :cool:      those initial observations reveal your knowledge of what's the prob....  [smiley=beer.gif]

9. henryj

henryj Blues Newbie

I hate to go the standard answer of "practice"  but it applies.

I've been working hard on bends lately and have gone from dinkity dink to fairly decent bends.  I haven't done anything special just repetition building up the fingers muscles.  I can bend a full step now without tears.  At least a for a few minutes.

The dinkity dink has mostly gone away.

10. john51

john51 Guest

Well I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the action is too low. Or the angle of the fingers to the fretboard. If we were doing a full bend on the E(1) at the 13th fret (ring finger with middle as support) - now for those who dont have the B string roll under either finger - where on your fingers is the B string contacting, and how much is the angle of your fingers to the fretboard changing through the bend?

Cheers
    John

11. wgabree

wgabree Blues Newbie

Yeah - that's a good description - it's kinda like when you pull a curtain open and it bunches up.

Watch the videos of Griff playing and you'll see that the other strings get on for the ride - they are muted by the contact with the bending fingers.

If your action is very high, it will be hard to do - especially if your fingers aren't very large.  They will go UNDER the stings you're heading for instead of gathering them.

Lastly, never forget that guitar playing is an Athletic activity.  You need to allow time for your fingers to build up the strength needed to execute this smoothly.  It's not going to happen overnight.  And it may at times even feel like you're regressing.  Just keep practicing and one day you'll find that it just works.  It's the accumulated practice that has strengthened your fingers which then allows you to relax instead of stressing.

Think of a guy that can only lift 60lbs.  If he walks into a gym and tries to lift 120lbs it's not going to be pretty!

But, if he goes to the gym regularly and gradually increases the weight from 60 to 62, 62-65, 65-67, etc., then after a year or so he will lift the 120 with smoothness and ease.

:cool:

12. ErikH

ErikH Guest

john51,

I think I know what you're talking about as I have this happen too. This usually happens on the higher strings. If I play the note with the tip of my finger, my finger is arched. When I straighten my finger to bend the note, it gets under the string above it. What I did to correct it is play the note more towards the pad and push up while straightening my finger. The string above hits just below the nail and the nail doesn't slip under the string.

I'd like to say that I've completely corrected this, but I still get it every so often.

I'd check the arch of your fingers and play the note closer to the pad than the tip.

Erik

13. luckylarry

luckylarry Student Of The Blues

John, One thing I do to get the bends without the "extras" is to concentrate on rollng my left hand. What I do is visualize my hand turning a dial. Since I started this I find I have stronger and mor accurate bends. Give it a try. :)

14. ErikH

ErikH Guest

luckylarry1,

Do you start the bend at an angle to the string or perpendicular? I'd like to try it but I'm having trouble visualizing this.

Erik

15. Lame_Pinkey

Lame_Pinkey Guest

I think what Larry may mean - correct me if I'm wrong Larry - is this.We can look at bending in 2 ways , one by just using our fingers to push the strings up.the other way is to use your wrist in a  'turning' motion to bend the strings & your fingers stay in place not rising up as with a push.
    Have a look at some of BB King & Jimi footage on youtube & you see them do this very same thing.

LP

16. luckylarry

luckylarry Student Of The Blues

OK, LP has it. When I am starting the bend my fingers are at a slight angle to the strings and I just rotate the wrist. Since I started doing this (and yes it was from watching how BB King does it) I find bending easier and I can get the note I want much easier. It just pushes the upper strings out of my way. Before I found I was often going under the string above which caused probelms with extra and unwanted sounds. So as usual I throw out what I am doing and my good friend LP interprets for you. Thanks again LP. :)

17. ErikH

ErikH Guest

Thanks LP and LuckyLarry1!

Erik

18. john51

john51 Guest

Hey luckylarry - dat helps :)
    Cheers
    John

19. Hossman1605

Hossman1605 Guest

Hi guys, I've been having this problem too. Sometimes the next string gets up on my fingertip over the bending string, sometimes up on my fingernail ! Getting the correct finger angle is the key. Cyberthrasher, your description of bending lit a lightbulb in my head ! It all makes sense now. Now to go and practice some. Thanks for the helpful info !!

20. RichC

RichC Guest

I had a similar problem with noise and the string adjacent to the one Im trying to bend slipping over the finger Im bending with. What worked for me (thru trial and error)  was when approaching a bend keep more of the flesh of my finger tip above the string Im bending which also results in preventing the adjacent strings from going on top of the finger doing the bending and lessens finger noise. I guess I changed the position of the finger tip and the angle of the bend. Good Luck.

Rich C