Problem with alternate picking

wgabree

Blues Newbie
ohhh, whew! i thought they meant alternate picking...like there is one called Travis alternate picking (and others)...i can do a couple of alternate picking styles....so was totally confused, thank you!  i'm breathing a sigh of relief! ;D

Yeah - that would be a picking pattern, not alternate picking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_picking#Travis_picking

Another goody is Hybrid-picking - using both the pick and fingers.  I use this the most of all the options:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_picking

-Wayne

wgabree

Blues Newbie
So the difference is STRUMMING vs PICKING

Strumming (up and down strokes) involve multiple strings at once, full chords or chord fragments

Picking (patterns, alternate, hybrid, travis) involve single notes and patterns of single notes

-Wayne

R

RayL

Thanks again to all of you. As a real beginner, I really appreciate all the good advice and encouragement. After practicing for 30 min., today, I think i can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope it's not the TRAIN.  :)

Ray

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Flat pickin', hybrid pickin', fingerstyle too...
Sometimes I'm so confused, just don't know what to do...
Got those pickin' blues.....
Those chiken pickin' blues...
Gonna call Chet Atkins, to find out which style I should use...

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Flat pickin', hybrid pickin', fingerstyle too...
Sometimes I'm so confused, just don't know what to do...
Got those pickin' blues.....
Those chiken pickin' blues...
Gonna call Chet Atkins, to find out which style I should use...

Nice!!  :D

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Naw, you are not done yet, cause we are not done "picking" on you.  And it seems that several of us are "alternating" picking on you across the forum ;D ;D ;D

Plus, per another thread, if you are "sloppy sounding" and not recording, you ain't done with nothin yet! ;)

P

pdcurley

Ray ....just hang in there. Like most people have said there will come a time when you are alternate picking naturally and not even think about doing it.

I know I had a terrible time trying to get it to feel comfortable.

S

StevO

Someone showed me a great exercise for this... it works the left hand fingering and alternate picking at the same time:

Start with your index finger on the E string, 2nd fret, and pick downward.  Middle finger goes on the 3rd fret of E, and you pick up. Then index finger moves to the 2nd fret on the A string, and you pick down. Middle finger goes on 3rd fret, and you pick up.  Continue walking up the strings, alternating between index on 2 and middle on 3 until you get to the e string... then reverse and work back downward toward E, using down/up alternate picking.

Then repeat with the index/middle/ring fingers, and alternate picking (this one will be a bit more challenging, because there are an odd number of picks on each string.  Keep to the true down/up/down/up picking, even when moving between strings.  Work up to e, then down to E.  

Then you can use index/middle/ring/pinky, alternate picking as you go through the same runs.  

This is an excellent exercise for developing finger dexterity and strength (particularly getting the pinky to develop its own brain), as well as developing comfort and confidence in alternate picking.

Once you've got a basic comfort with doing this... set your metronome and keep a steady rhythm as you go through these exercises.  Speed it up as you gain proficiency.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Steve, that's a great exercise. I've just been doing the ring/pinky up and down to try to get my pinky moving faster, but I think that your idea of doing them all at the same time is MUCH better. Thanks.