Problem with alternate picking

R

RayL

I’m just starting the second set of licks and, with the introduction of alternate picking, am having some problems. A couple of those licks are, basically, the same as scales I’ve been practicing for a few weeks. But, using alternate picking, it’s like I’ve never played them before. Please tell me someone else is having a similar problem.  I hate being alone. :-[

Ray

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Ray,

If you're not used to alternate picking it takes some practice.  There's a learning curve to it, like everything else about playing, but, for most of us anyway, it's a very important technique to get under your fingers especially as you advance to more complicated pieces.  Take the time to work on it.  Playing the scales is a good way to do it concentrating on having everything ring out clearly and, ever so slowly, building up your speed.  Work on it a bit every day & it'll feel more & more natural.  Some of the greats don't alternate pick, but for most of us mere mortals, it is a lesson well learned and it will pay dividends.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
I'm with Steve.

Ray, take the necessary time now and work on it every day. It won't be any time at all and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

There are a lot of things coming up in the following courses that you'll want to be able to use alternate picking on.

It'll come, but it does take time and effort.

R

RayL

Hey guys, thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'll keep plugging away.

Ray

I

IrishRover

Ray, to agree with what everyone else has already said - just keep on plugging away.  One of these days it will be second nature and you won't even realize you're alternate picking, it will be just the way you play everything.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Ray, it will come. Remember it is not a race. Practice slowly and the speed will come by itself.

J

jhagan421

S Grams Hit it right on the head.  It is necessary, if you play something like full out blues at 60 bpm, you might get away with always picking down or jsut going with the direrction your hand is movign to the next string, but you won't be able to keep up later on.  It will become natural.  Scales are just the thing to practice alt picking, especially when it is more than one note on the same string.

You'll get there Ray.

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
there is alternate picking in the second set of licks on page 17 of BGG??? I don't have much time to use the DVD's and rely mostly on the CD's but I thought this was regular picking so never listened to them...eeep....i'll have to go back to page 17 if it's discussing alternate picking...I can do some, but not sure which ones are covered here. Thanks!

I

IrishRover

Sunny, alternate picking is just going down & up on the same strung - like playing 8th notes on a strum only playing a single note instead so the sound alone wouldn't tell you the direction of the picking motion.  Fast Walking Blues is a great example of alternate picking.

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Good point Matt. I don't really see how you could play Fast Walking Blues at full speed without alternate picking.

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
ohhh, whew! i thought they meant alternate picking...like there is one called Travis alternate picking (and others)...i can do a couple of alternate picking styles....so was totally confused, thank you!  i'm breathing a sigh of relief! ;D

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
Ray,
  I have been working on alternate picking also ... I must say I kind of did that a little bit on my own when I first began without even knowing there was a term for it ... being a total beginner, as I believe you once mentioned you are, I'm glad I did that ... I do not have it mastered nor am I fast paced with it but I'm getting better ... like these other folks say, after your hand, finger coordination, muscles memory , etc. kicks in we will be doing it like we have been doing it forever ... It will feel natural to us without even thinking of it ...  :cool:

wgabree

Blues Newbie
..and i beg to differ, you can hear the difference when you strum vs. when you strum down...

But for single notes, it's not so easy to tell.  I use alternate picking on virtually all my single note playing, the only exception being if I want a certain dynamic or articulation.

Steve and the others are spot on.  At first it's difficult, requiring a lot of concentration.  But before you know it, you aren't even thinking about it on a conscious level.  I know I don't - at this point my right hand picking takes care of itself.

Alternating my two right hand fingers to play bass is another issue! ;)  But that is improving rapidly! :D

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
i believe alternate picking is, as i wrote before, a particular style of picking...i learned this eons ago, I hope I didn't learn it wrong lo those many years ago...