Preparing for solo 4

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Having finally gotten solo 3 up to speed, at 80-90% accuracy, I took a look at the next lessons. Changing keys? No problem. Mixing major and minor? I get the philosophy, I think it explains why there has always been a couple notes outside the blues scale that I like landing on. Using box two to play the major scale from the sixth string root position? Uh oh. I didn't spend much time getting the box under my fingers as the earlier solos only used the four note or house pattern of the second position. So I'll spend a few days getting comfy with it, and continuing to practice solos 1-3 in the songs I've worked out for them so I can retain them. Solo 4 looks like a doozy and is quite long, can't wait to dig in.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
It's good to hear that you are progressing - a week or two ago you said you were making progress on Solo 3 and here we are and you're into Solo 4, all while I've been struggling with Solo 1 !!! You mentioned a problem playing the Major from the sixth string root (i.e. switching from Box 1 Minor to Box 2 Major in the same position, I presume) - that's something I can do almost without thinking, but do you think I can get those bends in Solo 1 Right ??? NoSiree, I'm just making cat-strangling noises a lot of the time. So, perseverance is probably the answer. I'm taking inspiration from your progress, and look forward to progressing myself. Keep up the good work.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
It's good to hear that you are progressing - a week or two ago you said you were making progress on Solo 3 and here we are and you're into Solo 4, all while I've been struggling with Solo 1 !!! You mentioned a problem playing the Major from the sixth string root (i.e. switching from Box 1 Minor to Box 2 Major in the same position, I presume) - that's something I can do almost without thinking, but do you think I can get those bends in Solo 1 Right ??? NoSiree, I'm just making cat-strangling noises a lot of the time. So, perseverance is probably the answer. I'm taking inspiration from your progress, and look forward to progressing myself. Keep up the good work.
I spent at least six weeks on solo three, still working at it. 30 minutes a day, nearly every day for six weeks on the lesson, now I'm just working with it in a song. I use the showpage in Studio One to set up a song with each of the first three BGU solos, minus vocals and lead guitar. Let's me keep all three under my fingers, I haven't gotten them to the point where I can ignore them for a couple weeks and still play them decently. I haven't started 4 yet, running through 1-3 and practicing position 2 still, along with some other projects. I can now live solo to equal my recorded comped solos, so I'm gaining ground.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I actually haven't completed Solo 4 and beyond yet. The feeling of moving between major and minor tonalities is wonkie at first and I really struggled with Solo 4. It kinda derailed me in the short-term, so switched gears and worked through the first three solo/positions in the Major Minor Blues Moves course. For some reason they were easier to digest for me.

I've been hearing some success in moving between major and minor in my improvisation excursions over various slower backing tracks.

I'm gonna be getting back to BGU Solo 4 and beyond soon, although I have been happily derailed from that recently as I focus on rhythm work.

Anyway you might try that course, to help you along.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I noticed that today's Blog video (about the Blues Speed Building Blocks) contains some commentary by Griff about Solos 3, 4 and 5. Worth a look :thumbup::thumbup:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
That's pretty impressive going BJ. I got as far as solo 3 then went AWOL, and couldn't play 1, 2 or 3 now!!! :rolleyes: All the best with it.(y)(y)