Practice Regimens

leftymike01

Blues Newbie
I think I need to start over ,And need some good Advise on a good course to start with and a good
Practice Regimen I have all of the courses,And have the All access ,But my problem is just Finishing one complete before going forward! Bad habit i developed!
Leftymike

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I think I need to start over ,And need some good Advise on a good course to start with and a good
Practice Regimen I have all of the courses,And have the All access ,But my problem is just Finishing one complete before going forward! Bad habit i developed!
Leftymike

Finish ONE before moving on? If I had tried that I'd never have finished ANY.
I got half way through BGU, then half through SWS, then half through BBGU. then finished BGU...
You gotta do what every works for you, but digging in and only doing ONE may be tough.
Where to start? Well, it depends on where you are now. If you haven't finished BGU because you are stuck on chords, the go back and do Beginning BGU, or if it's because you can't get the more tricky solos down, then I'd suggest SWS. It really depends on what's going on with YOU.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Probably the biggest difference between private, weekly students, and distance (online) students is this exact issue - how long to practice one thing.

One week is almost never long enough to really get a concept down, so with a private student, I usually do thing "A" one week, then the next week we go over it and look for issues, but add a little bit of thing "B" to go along with it. That helps stave off burnout, of course, but also works to keep the brain more engaged.

The next week, we'll look at both "A" and "B" and usually "A" is at a point where it can simmer on low heat for a while. So we kick more into thing "B" and add a little of thing "C."

Over the next few weeks, we'll come back around to "A", "B", "C", and probably have added a little of "D" and maybe even an "E", depending on available practice time.

When you get to a point of diminishing returns on a lesson, it's time to put it on simmer and move on. Maybe make a sticky note that you're going to re-visit it in a week, but for now move on to something else.

In a week, revisit the old lesson and, with a little refresher, it'll likely be better than it was when you left it before. At that point you know you can put it down for good and continue to move forward. If it's still not happening, make a note and wait another week, but continue to practice other things.

I usually have 4-6 of these types of things going on at any given moment. New licks, new scales, new chord voicings, songs, you-name-it. The available things to practice on never goes away :)