Practice makes.....

Russ

Blues Newbie
Gotta agree with you guys. I really don't get anywhere until I allow it to stink, sometimes.  :eek:

If I allow the Muddy A Blues to stink any worse, I'm gonna need tomato paste to wash the skunk stench off me and my guitars.  :( I'm attempting to play along with Griff's practice mp3 and I'm usually behind or screwing up by the 5th or 6th measure. I'm getting there. I did figure out that a lot of the problem is different timing sounds. Since it doesn't all "sound" the same, I screw it up. Also, I think if you can't do it at the speed Griff sets, you haven't actually learned anything.  :-?

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Also, I think if you can't do it at the speed Griff sets, you haven't actually learned anything.  :-?

I don't think Griff would agree with that thought!  Its harsh - tell it to go away!  ::)

Russ

Blues Newbie
I know most of the guys (and gals  ;) ) on the forum tend to post lessons @ the bpm that they prefer. That's all fine and dandy. I like listening to different versions. Like I said earlier, I just feel that if you can't do it at the pace that Griff sets for us, then you're not learning timing. I mean, what are you gonna do when you join a band and they say they want you to play this song at this beat count. If you have to tell them to speed it up or slow it down, they'll find a different guitarist. You see what I mean?

It's maddening that I understand what he's trying to teach and I just can't get my hands to do it. Its all in the learning process. If everybody could do it, blah, blah, blah. Don't get me wrong. I'm just venting. I DO get a "little" better at the lesson every day or so  :cool: .

wgabree

Blues Newbie
I know most of the guys (and gals  ;) ) on the forum tend to post lessons @ the bpm that they prefer. That's all fine and dandy. I like listening to different versions. Like I said earlier, I just feel that if you can't do it at the pace that Griff sets for us, then you're not learning timing. I mean, what are you gonna do when you join a band and they say they want you to play this song at this beat count. If you have to tell them to speed it up or slow it down, they'll find a different guitarist. You see what I mean?

It's maddening that I understand what he's trying to teach and I just can't get my hands to do it. Its all in the learning process. If everybody could do it, blah, blah, blah. Don't get me wrong. I'm just venting. I DO get a "little" better at the lesson every day or so  :cool: .

Venting is good  :cool:  And tell me about it - I'm working on Johnny B. Goode - I know exactly what notes to play but when I try to play along with Chuck.... :eek:  Man it's tough!

As I've mentioned many times, we have to remember that playing guitar is an Athletic activity.  We need to be patient and put in the time it takes to develop the finger muscles necessary to pull of what's in our heads.

We watch a pro play and it looks easy - just like watching some one else lift weights at a gym.  Then we try and find out it's not so easy!

Practice, practice & practice - build up those muscles.

:cool:

RALKITE

Blues Newbie
I might have been thinking wrong, but Timing to me is more a constant than a pace.

Getting the timing right is more about the timing between notes and at a constant pace throughout the tune.

Sometimes I need to slow down. other times trying to keep up with Griff on the DVD is more about getting out of time after stuffing up a note.

As for the pace he sets on the DVD? I hope that is not the only pace we can play them at, or my ego has just taken a tumble.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
It's common practice for beginning musicians to play more difficult pieces at a slower tempo (the official music term for pace ;-)).  And it's not because the student isn't learning - it's because the physical ability to play at a faster tempo hasn't developed yet.

In piano, it also common for students to learn simplified versions of songs.  Again, not because they can't learn, but because of the physical demands of the full version.

:cool:

Russ

Blues Newbie
I was just trying to make the point that I think you should do the tempo of the lesson before posting your own tempo. You could do Mary's Lambchop at 160 bpm for all I care.  :eek:

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
I understand what you're saying Russ, correct me if I'm wrong, but BBG is not just about begining the Blues it's about begining playing guitar. The pieces we learn to play are fun but they are primarily lessons, which Griff has constructed to give us a real foundation. They are already geared to the learner & it's a matter of personal fulfillment to strive to get as close as possible to how Griff designed them because we trust his judgement in what we need to know to progress.

For example Straight Down Sixth Ave is driving me nuts & I realise that the actual tune of it would not be played that way if it were a 'song' but still I'm trying my utmost to get it right because of the skills it will give me later.

Russ

Blues Newbie
I keep getting better at the Muddy A lesson every day. I can't wait to put it in the "warm up", but I do want to keep playing it long enough so that the triplets into the strums and quarter notes feels natural. I don't doubt I'll use in even when I'm back into my copy of BGU.  :)

Russ

Blues Newbie
This was a personal message from Wayne. Wayne, I thought we were having an educational discussion between friends. Of course, you are learning no matter how you post your version. I was just sharing an opinion. And yes, I do get after myself way too hard, but I'm learning to lighten up a bit at a time.  ;)

Russ - wasn't trying to argue with you man.  I was just reacting to what seemed like you were saying "unless you can play it like Griff you suck and haven't learned anything"

And it seemed liked you were beating yourself up for not learning.

I was trying to encourage folks to keep on keeping on - as long as you keep going, you are learning and it will come.

Sorry!