Practice Amp for a Les Paul

DarinDoty

Blues Newbie
Greetings...
I am a rather novice player and not in a band. I am seeking advice on a good practice amp to get the best blues & rock sound from a Gibson Les Paul (Pro) & a PRS??

Thank you

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
You can get a great sound for both of them with just about any amp.
It boils down to what you want to hear.
If you have a music store (preferably a large one like Sam Ash or Guitar Center) near you, I'd take one or both guitars and try out several amps.
You should decide before going what your price range is.
You can fine a good sounding, used blues Junior III for around $400.
Several folks here have a Positive Grid Spark that come in around $230,
but if you are on a budget, there are always lower end amps that can work just fine as a practice amp. (Fender Champ $130, various Monoprice under $100)

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
@MikeS has some great advise. I'll just throw out a different thought. If you can get a used Nace Pro-18 buy it!! They are no longer in production but they are great amps and people on this forum know them well. They are tube amps and when you replace the tubes no biasing is necessary so you can do it yourself at home. They are great for humbucker and single coil guitars as well. I've got both the combo and the head. :Beer:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
@MikeS has some great advise. I'll just throw out a different thought. If you can get a used Nace Pro-18 buy it!! They are no longer in production but they are great amps and people on this forum know them well. They are tube amps and when you replace the tubes no biasing is necessary so you can do it yourself at home. They are great for humbucker and single coil guitars as well. I've got both the combo and the head. :Beer:
Yeah I didn't mention Nace (I own 2 - one 18r & one Pro 18) because they are no longer in production & will probably be hard to find.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Your first amp will not be your last amp.

Im a big fan of the yamaha thr series amps. Those are a bit pricey.

Whats your budget look like?

DarinDoty

Blues Newbie
You can get a great sound for both of them with just about any amp.
It boils down to what you want to hear.
If you have a music store (preferably a large one like Sam Ash or Guitar Center) near you, I'd take one or both guitars and try out several amps.
You should decide before going what your price range is.
You can fine a good sounding, used blues Junior III for around $400.
Several folks here have a Positive Grid Spark that come in around $230,
but if you are on a budget, there are always lower end amps that can work just fine as a practice amp. (Fender Champ $130, various Monoprice under $100)
Thanks a million Mike!!

DarinDoty

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the input..much appreciated!

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Ok with 500 in mind two thoughts:

The spark 40 is like the top selling amp they are 230 right now new. A bit heavy on bluetooth dependencies maybe for running the spark app but you dont need to use it.

A yamaha thr10iii is second option …

If you go spark a ton of people here use them and you have budget for the next amp or guitar.

Like another prs …

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I have tube amps for jamming, but for practice and recording I love my little Spark amp. The USB connectivity makes it really easy to record from, and I can dial in almost any amp model imaginable with some really outstanding tones. There are also literally thousands of user contributed presets available in the cloud for specialized tones. Otherwise, pretty much all of the other options mentioned here are good ones!

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
During the last 60 years I have had a number of guitar amplifiers, and my favorite is one that I got a few months ago.

It is a Line 6 Catalyst 60, which sounds great, and I enjoy using it. The price is $299. They also have a 100 watt model.

By the way, I do not use pedals, as I find them unnecessary. But that is just me! :) If I had pedals, I could get a bit more exercise, by stomping on those switches! :giggle:

When I received this amplifier, I set it up to give me the sound I want, and the volume level appropriate for my music room. So far I have not touched the controls, and I have five different electric guitars.

Tom

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
My two cents:
To me, "practice amp" usually suggests a few things.
- Lower volume
- Portable size
- Headphone out for silent practice
- Of course the latest technology is can be appealing, with access to backing tracks and such.

My personal thoughts would be:
- Don't be drawn in by endless tonal options that will distract you from true practice time
- Find one that closely matches your main amp
- If you record yourself, look for a line out
- Consider adding a looper pedal to your practice rig, goes a long way to help develop good rhythm playing
- Picking one that's guitar specific (Les Paul) should not be a consideration.

Good Luck :unsure:

ChicagoCharlie

Blues Newbie
Many apprciate the moddeling amps and recent amp innovations. For some, these amps have a serious drawback which is too many choices. I want to try a setting, then change another setting, than change the gain, oh, the sound needs more delay and the list goes on.

So, here is another view. Size counts. Simple and ease of use counts.

Simpler is some cases is much more pratical than numerous options.
My practice amp is an Orangre Crush CR60 with a V30 speaker.
The amp plays nicely at voice level for late at night playing.
If I want anything besides reverb, I can add it into the front end or the loop.

As I am OCD, ADHD, and mental complexities that have yet to be named, with this amp, I spend more time playing than asking myself if this is the right sound and turning knobs.

Know yourself, know your goals, and play..........

PaulVanAtta

Blues Newbie
For practice and you're learning get a spark 40. It's a low investment to get a amp that will dial in your latest tone. Wanna try Van Halen? Wanna try Hendrix? Wanna try Mayer? Wanna try __________? It does it all.

I also like how you can stream music, YouTube, etc. (It's basically a big Bluetooth speaker) and it sounds great. By far the best option I've found for learning and jamming.

As time goes on...you'll probably narrow down to a style and you can get other gear but spark 40 is great to start!

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Greetings...
I am a rather novice player and not in a band. I am seeking advice on a good practice amp to get the best blues & rock sound from a Gibson Les Paul (Pro) & a PRS??

Thank you
You have received some great advice so I can not add anything intelligent. Other than I will say I have heard great things about the little Positive Grid Spark amp. So much so I am seriously considering it. You stated that you are a "rather novice player" as am I. Beyond just being a good practice amp it has many learning tools for us noobies: usb interface for recording, tap tempo, smart jam, smart chords, lots of modelling. That last is important because, as a noobie, if you haven't yet, you will start chasing tone which means pedals. The Spark has lots of choices here.

Guitar World has a review of the Spark which you should have a look at. But, spoiler alert, it finishes with, "The hype is real. The Spark is an incredible practice and recording amp, and it is very competitively priced. To be honest, we’d recommend the Spark at this price if that’s all it delivered, but once you factor in those smart features, each encouraging solo players to learn songs and stay inspired, there is no doubt that the Spark is a guaranteed home run."

Which PRS do you have?