Practical Application of Modes

EdShanik

Blues Newbie
Help! I have two questions:

1. How do you recognize the Tonal Center?
2. Why doesn't Griff recommend starting the (Tonal Center) Mode Scale on the Key Signature note on the 6th string rather than on the Mode note?

1. I'm still confused about when and how to use Modes. I just completed Lessons 12 and 13 in the Theory Course. It was a very helpful when Griff suggested to solo over a piece using only 1 scale, not to change scales with every chord change (except if you choose to with Pentatonics). I understand you're supposed to use one of the Modes of the Major Scale when the Tonal Center (the "home base") does not correspond to the Key Signature. So, how do you know which chord other than the I chord (which is also the Key Signature) represents the Tonal Center? Is it always the first chord of a song? Isn't the last chord usually the Key Signature? Is the Tonal Center the chord that appears most frequently in a song? Is it the chord that all the other chords resolve to? And if so, how do you recognize that?

2. If the key is G Major, but the song begins with A Minor, and the piece has a minor feel to it, and you're pretty sure you need to solo in A Dorian, why don't you solo with the A Dorian scale starting at the G note (6th string, 3rd fret) rather than at the A note (6th string, fifth fret) as Griff instructed? If they are Parallel rather than Relative scales, shouldn't you be able to always start with the Key Signature note rather than on the actual Mode Note? Thanks for any advice.

Ed

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
There's not gonna be a short, easy answer for all of this, but I 'll give a short one a try.

A chord progression from the chords in a key will establish the tonal center. You can start, end or play any note from the Major scale anytime you want. However, your ear will "gravitate" to the note that corresponds to the tonal center.

Here's a quick "down & dirty" demo. For me it's easier than writing it all out.

Hopefully it will at least start to answer some of your questions.

I use the Key of G Major:

The scale is: G A B C D E F# G

The chords in the key are: G Am Bm C D Em F#mb5

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/zn7zeywx228vz4h/Modes.mp4?dl=0

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Thank you so much! That gives me a much better understanding.
Glad it helped. Feel free to holler back if any more questions come up.

And if Modes really tickle your fancy, Griff's "Modes Unleashed" course is the next place to go.