Slow Blues Feel Position 6-7 Overlaps

Discussion in 'Blues Solo Construction Kit' started by Griff, May 30, 2016.

1. Griff

Griff Chief Cook And Bottle Washer
    Staff Member

Hey Everyone,

I see that a few people noticed that there are some slight overlaps between the licks for positions 6 and 7.

I went through all of the licks for all of the positions to see if I had missed something, and I believe I see what is going on.

Yes, there are a couple of spots where the position 7 lick starts on a pickup and overlaps the end of the position 6 licks.

In most cases, the position 6 lick can just be cut short (it's tied and doesn't need to be) and you're good to go. However, you may need to remove the first couple of notes in the lick for position 7. Those licks were designed that way (with the first couple of notes being optional) but I neglected to really notate that in a clear way and I'm not sure it got conveyed on the video the way I intended.

So here's my little spreadsheet - let me know if this makes sense:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6zz880ehz1sgin/BSCK SB Lick overlaps.pdf

If it does, I'll put it in the member area for the course.

Griff

2. MikeS

MikeS Allen, TX
    Staff Member

Makes sense to me.

3. mountain man

mountain man Still got the Blues!

Thanks Griff. I'll be doing this Slow Blues course next one up!! Good to have this printed out in advance. :thumbup:

4. DrRock

DrRock Blues Newbie

Thanks Griff. The spreadsheet really helps. I put together a solo last week that ended up overlapping between the fifth and sixth position, I'm away from home right now so can't exactly say which licks they were. I ended up dropping the ending of the first lick. It worked fine and sounded okay, but I wasn't sure if it was kosher to do that. So I was glad to hear from you that doing that was okay. As you say, the main criteria is that it sounds good

5. Griff

Griff Chief Cook And Bottle Washer
    Staff Member

Admittedly it's a little frustrating because I was pretty sure there were no overlaps, but with those slow blues licks a couple of them squeaked by me. I know that in the shuffle one there are no overlaps.

Griff

6. OG_Blues

OG_Blues Guitar Geezer

I haven't found it to be a big deal - just another learning experience to figure out how to make stuff work - one of those "left as an exercise for the student to figure out" things. :)
    Tom

MikeS likes this.