Please don't start with christmas song lessons in October!

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
wow, I can't tell on some of the comments if this is getting a little heated under to collar, if people are getting testy...............or it's all in jest. Maybe my reading between the lines is off, who knows.

I like Christmas music, I had a desire since I was ten to write my own Christmas song, finally did it, some may say it sucks, I don't care, I am happy. If the lessons were to start in October, I would be fine with it, especially if it is new to me. Part of this is my own likes, and part is I want to have it down for the day after Thanksgiving, but, then again, I meet friends at coffee shops and other places and play songs for free

Whether someone else likes it or not, that is not material to the forum, we are all guests on here at the end of the day. What the owner decides to do, well, that's their choice. Personally, I am sick of all the keep Christmas to yourself, you have to say Happy Holidays not Merry Christmas crowd, when I say it, all I mean is I wish you well during this season..........if that bothers someone, that's their circus and monkeys, not mine.

If we started learning a Kwanza of Hannukah song in September, it's no big deal, if I don't like it, I can just scroll by.

I mean really, inflation is ridiculous, we have war in the Ukraine, many countries are split down the middle based on political stances...............................and we are having what seems to me to be a whip it out and see who is bigger over when to start Christmas songs ?

It's still music, which is what we are all here for, do we really need to start the I am offended over this or that garbage ? Come on, don't like it, scroll by.
If there is a reggae lesson, I will just go to the next one (can't stand Reggae myself), no biggie....................If I am reading the tone wrong, my apoligies.

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
My current Christmas list (Mainly just strumming)
Blue Christmas
Deck The Halls
Feliz Navidad
Here Comes Santa Claus
Jingle Bell Rock
Jingle Bells
Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
Winter Wonderland
We Wish You A Merry Christmas

and for NYE
Auld Lang Syne

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
wow, I can't tell on some of the comments if this is getting a little heated under to collar, if people are getting testy...............or it's all in jest. Maybe my reading between the lines is off, who knows.

I like Christmas music, I had a desire since I was ten to write my own Christmas song, finally did it, some may say it sucks, I don't care, I am happy. If the lessons were to start in October, I would be fine with it, especially if it is new to me. Part of this is my own likes, and part is I want to have it down for the day after Thanksgiving, but, then again, I meet friends at coffee shops and other places and play songs for free

Whether someone else likes it or not, that is not material to the forum, we are all guests on here at the end of the day. What the owner decides to do, well, that's their choice. Personally, I am sick of all the keep Christmas to yourself, you have to say Happy Holidays not Merry Christmas crowd, when I say it, all I mean is I wish you well during this season..........if that bothers someone, that's their circus and monkeys, not mine.

If we started learning a Kwanza of Hannukah song in September, it's no big deal, if I don't like it, I can just scroll by.

I mean really, inflation is ridiculous, we have war in the Ukraine, many countries are split down the middle based on political stances...............................and we are having what seems to me to be a whip it out and see who is bigger over when to start Christmas songs ?

It's still music, which is what we are all here for, do we really need to start the I am offended over this or that garbage ? Come on, don't like it, scroll by.
If there is a reggae lesson, I will just go to the next one (can't stand Reggae myself), no biggie....................If I am reading the tone wrong, my apoligies.

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone

Not heated on my part. Just explaining why I think earlier is better.
BTW, I'm not religious, but I love Christmas songs, even the religious ones. The sectarian ones are usually fun and the religious ones are mostly beautiful.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Clearly you don't like learning Christmas music, but yes! That's exactly what I'd do. Learn Christmas songs in November (in time to play them for Christmas) then move on to something else in December. I don't see the problem.
To be clear, I don't want to learn or listen to them. It's a hypocritical season as far as I'm concerned. Your suggestion is to learn your xmass songs in November and move onto non-xmass music on December? I'm ok with that. I'd rather have none at all but it's not all about me. I've not said anything about it until I misunderstood a comment made jokingly. I've wanted to learn "Your Funeral My Trial" for a while now. I'll tune in to the webinar in December for that! :Beer:

There is another option. Keep it the way it is and practice your new xmass song all year so it'll be ready for next year. We have many December webinars already recorded and in the books so you have many songs to choose from already.

Maybe we should have July 4th, Veterans, Memorial, months too?

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
For what it's worth, I (generally speaking) can't stand Christmas music... has nothing to do with the holiday or anything of the sort, I just don't like the music. My wife loves it and it plays from Thanksgiving through Christmas Day everywhere I turn, so I can understand not wanting to be inundated by it...

First, I would never start Christmas music in October. It makes some sense to do it in December, but I can't see doing more than that. Yes, some folks would like more time to get it down before the actual holiday, but I doubt we'll get too carried away with that.

Hopefully you can see the value in this year's song beyond the lyric. It's a great 12 bar blues with some fantastic solos, a great rhythm figure to learn, and in a key that we rarely work with. You have tracks to play so you never even have to hear the lyric. If you prefer, hum something like "I'm Tore Down" over those chords in your head... it'll work, even over the long I (the breaks in Tore Down are long ones.)

You could also use "Your Funeral, My Trial," I'm pretty sure :)

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I'm okay with listening to Christmas music but have never had the passion or desire to play any of it, this year's tune and a couple of others I can get into better than most, but I could care less if Chet's nuts are roasting or not!

TexBill

Blues in Texas
@Griff, the old saying applies here. To each their own.

If you are one who likes learning holiday music, that is your perogrative and should not be forced on those who have no interest in leaning Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. Whether or not it is December or any othe month.

I will listen to holiday music ocasionally, just not the non-stop 24/7 most radio stations seem prone to attempt. If that is your thing, have fun and enjoy.

Happy New Year.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I've been playing it to people all through December, though will be glad to get back to our usual music sets in the New Year. But people like it and expect it, and you have to play the favourites
That's true for your gigs I'm sure, for mine not so much

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
pffffftttttttttttttttttttttt.............................heresay says I, if @Griff wants to teach Mariah Carey in June I support it a million percent

And if there are any haters out there, I will post a video of me singing "All I want for Christmas is You"

Trust me, ya all don't want that

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
pffffftttttttttttttttttttttt.............................heresay says I, if @Griff wants to teach Mariah Carey in June I support it a million percent

And if there are any haters out there, I will post a video of me singing "All I want for Christmas is You"

Trust me, ya all don't want that
So.... There is the reason moderators like me exist!

Edit: I just re-read your post and I must apologize. I thought you were going to subject us to Mariah Carey singing it again. Never mind.

Last edited: