Playing the A minor Blues Scale

rambo46

Blues Newbie
OK...  I saw a video by Griff on the Box1 A min Blues scale.

Now as I've said, I don't have short or fat fingers.  BUT, how in the heck do keep you #1 finger on the 5th fretted 6th string and be able to place you #4 finger on the 8th fret of the 6th string?

I even had my wife try it - and she has long fingers - and  she didn't even come close.

Do you NOT keep the #1 finger there.  Do you twist your wrist in an uncomfortable position to get the #4 finger on the 8th fret?

Very frustrating.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

mentero

Blues Newbie
Not an expert by any standard, but, if you cannot get this stretch from your fingers, don't do it.

Simply raise #1 finger and get to the 8th fret with your pinky. With time ( and not a lot ), your fingers will develop the flexibility.

You can also make your pentatonic exercises in the key of C or D, instead of A, where the frets are shorter, and/or raise your guitar's head to a more comfortable position.   

Keep at it everyday, and you will get it.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
The approach I learned is to rotate the guitar vertically and then try fingering the chord with your thumb kind of pointing toward the ceiling. In most cases your pinky can make the stretch in that position. Then,  start rotating back into the correct position while making sure not to overly clamp down with your thumb. Eventually you start to get the feel for how to make happen naturally. Keeping the neck more elevated while playing also helps.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
This is where the assistance of a good teacher comes in handy.  Even a good guitar player can help you by observing your technique.  Trying to say things can lead to misunderstanding, so there is nothing like visual observation and feedback.

One question is what type of guitar are you playing?  In most cases the type of guitar and style used will determine how you hold the instrument.  If you play an electric guitar then what follows may help.   

I suggest using a good guitar strap so if you are seated or standing the instrument is in the same position.  That eliminates one big variable.  Next comes the position of the instrument, and the left hand.  Try to check out some YouTube videos of guitarists and see if that helps.   

At four minuets an example of using an electric guitar with a strap: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IscDj_-Nr0s

Finger Posture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3wc9lqGETI

Some suggestions:

1. Be sure that your back is straight and you are comfortable. .

2. Hold the guitar in a position where the middle of the guitar is approximately over your right thigh. 

3. Your left arm should be close to your left side. 

4. You can hold the guitar at a slight angle with the neck a bit higher than the body of the instrument.

5. The tip of the thumb should be placed at about the center of the neck.  The video on finger posture does a good description of how to hold the left hand and fingers.

I play many different types of guitars and each one has a specific requirement for proper handling and playing. 

Tom

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Are you trying to keep clear from the 5th string ?
When playing single notes from the scale it's no problem when you touch the 5th string with either index or pinky. It may even be better because you will mute it, you only want to hear the note on the 6th string. If you allow yourself to touch the 5th string, you can hold your fingers 'flatter' and make life easier.
And, of course, as everyone will tell you, pratice will solve your problem. Eventually.....  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
In a case like this, when I struggle to make a reach and in this case in particular I would support my stretched pinky with my ring finger.  If I was having trouble making this 8th fret I would place my ring finger on 7th fret.  Sometimes adding another finger to the fretboard gives a whole lot more strength to the reach.  There's no rule that says this can't be done.  In the case of playing a run like this scale you can lift your index finger just before or as your pinky is touching the string.  It sounds clean and frees your index finger to move to the next note.

You should see me do my 9th chords.  The only way I can hold down 2 or 3 strings with my ring finger is to roll it sideways.  I'm building a callous on the side of it.  This little variation makes the difference between success and failure.

See you down the road   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I must not be understanding the question.
If I spread my fingers on the table I easily have 5" between  #1 & #4.
Measuring the distance from the 5th fret to the 8th fret it's only about 2" (My closed fingers are 2.5").
I've attached a picture with my pointer on the 5th fret and my pinkie on the 8th fret (I was even able to stretch to the 19th fret).   :-/

It may well be something that will just happen for you over time, but make no mistake... it WILL happen.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I must not be understanding the question.
If I spread my fingers on the table I easily have 5" between  #1 & #4.
Measuring the distance from the 5th fret to the 8th fret it's only about 2" (My closed fingers are 2.5").
I've attached a picture with my pointer on the 5th fret and my pinkie on the 8th fret [glow=yellow,2,300](I was even able to stretch to the 19th fret)[/glow].   :-/
U
It may well be something that will just happen for you over time, but make no mistake... it WILL happen.

So you can basically cover all of the boxes without ever moving your hand! ;)

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Mike, I need a picture to believe you can reach the 19th with your pinky while also holding your index on the 5th fret  ;D
I have pretty large hands and fingers but cannot reach beyond the 12th. And I touch the 5th string while doing it....

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
oops! Guess the stretch on my keyboard from the 9 to the 0 was too much. That should have read 10th fret.  ;D

jmin

Student Of The Blues
There's the problem! NEVER ask you wife how to do something you can't do! If she does it, you're ego is blown to hell. If she doesn't, she'll convince you it can't be done!  ;)