Playing out at a jam session

Rick_Lees

Blues Newbie
Hey Rick Lees here
I recently attended a jam but could not get the sound I wanted to play…. Can’t really squat to see the settings and change it … so. Never get to play the stuff I want to. I am not a beginner but I dot get out to jams much…. What’s you experience?

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Hey Rick,

First off, welcome!

First jam session, I wound up using someone else's rig. It was a Headrush modeller into back side of an amp, and couldn't really figure it out. Owner was helpful though and adjusted things on the fly mid-way through first song.

Second time I brought my own modeller, with powered speakers and it played great with both guitar and bass. So obviously easy to control.

I think you just gotta be able to roll with the punches, and enjoy the experience for what it is.

Wishing you the best at your next Jam!

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to the forum Rick, I'm glad you found us.
The closest I get to an audience is when I practice blues faces in a mirror. It's pretty easy to set up in my practice area so I have no advice for you except to stay tuned for the rest of the crew here to chime in and check out some of Griff's gear videos on Facebook.

Rick_Lees

Blues Newbie
I’ve been a Griff watcher for a long time I just never wen this far…. Thanks for all the advice….I currrenly have a nice studio where my sound I can mess around with. I’m finally retiring from owning a HVAC Company… owner, sales, tech and installer so now I’m going to watch and learn more

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Welcome to the show!

At a jam, I think achieving your ultimate tone does not need to be your first priority (make sure you're not sending out ice-pick highs and you'll be ok). Play in time, be in tune, don't step on the lead, and have fun - if you do those things, you'll sound great.

Last edited:

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Welcome to the show!

At a jam, I think achieving your ultimate tone does not need to be your first priority (make sure you're not sending out ice-pick highs and you'll be ok). Play in time, be in tune, don't step on the lead, and have fun - if you do those things, you'll sound great.
Great advice here. All jams are different, but what I’ve found is that you don’t have time to dink around with a pedalboard, nor do you want to. Crossroads has some good advice about that. I’ve been called up in the middle of the set where they hand you the guitar cable while they tell you what key the song is in.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Welcome to the Forum Rick, I think Doug said it best. Jams aren't gigs, so what you get is what you get. Careful use of your selector switch, tone and volume pots will get you close enough.