Player Error message

JeffreyWewers

Blues Newbie
Just ordered ABGU. Got confirmation email. Tried to play the first lesson. Got "Player Error. The player is having trouble. We'll have it back up and running as soon as possible." message when I mouse over the arrow to start a lesson. Any suggestions.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
“Player error: The player is having trouble”
If this error appears, we are currently investigating a problem on our side. Please contact us ASAP if you continue to see this error.

I just checked from my computer (PC - Windows 10) and it plays correctly for me in both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. Please try it again in a fresh browser window. If you continue to have issues, please let us know if you're running a Mac or PC, the operating system level (Windows 7,8,8.1,10 or Mac OSX version) and which web browser you are using.

JeffreyWewers

Blues Newbie
Tried again in a separate window. Still have the problem. Running on a PC, OS is Windows Vista Home, web browser is Opera.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Are you saying that you downloaded BBG lessons a year ago? They played when you downloaded them, but they don't work now?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm not sure that @Griff tested on that platform (It's kinda out of date). That said, I don't know why it wouldn't work on Vista (I've never used Opera, so you may want to try another browser. I know it works on Chrome or Firefox)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'll pass this along to Griff, but I'm not sure there is anything that can be done. Mainstream Windows Vista support from Microsoft stopped in 2012 and their extended support stopped over a year ago. If you downloaded a video a year ago that played then and doesn't play now, it is definitely within your computer.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I guess I'm still not clear on the situation exactly...

If you downloaded the lessons, the browser would not be an issue because you'd be watching using Media Player or something similar. So I think if you are using Opera, you are viewing them from my website through the on screen player...

OR

You are clicking on the "download" link, but your browser is just playing them instead of actually downloading them. I've also seen some browsers download a link to the file instead of the actual file.

The problem here is that I can't see exactly what you're doing, and I don't have hardware old enough to test it for myself here. Those videos and files all work for me on reasonably recent Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android devices - past that I just don't know what else we could do.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I spent a good number of years programming and creating web applications. There were times that Microsoft would create an update, and it would prevent specific applications from working. What I learned was that you had to specify what operating system, browser (version), and the latest updates that were used to test your application. Using an "obsolete operating system or browser version" is a difficult issue to resolve. When I say "obsolete", I mean that the vendor (Microsoft) has decided that you should upgrade to the "latest - greatest" version.

I do not appreciate what Microsoft does to users. They will give a "simple upgrade" to a current OS, and specific applications will no longer work. Example: upgrade 3 to XP - Pagemaker 6.0 would no longer work. You are expected to purchase the latest version of specific applications. When it comes to OS's from several versions ago, you cannot expect anything to work. That is reality, and I do not appreciate it at all! :(

I am retired, and cannot afford to purchase thousands of dollars of software applications when Microsoft changes things. However, you must specify what environment your application will work in, when you sell a product. The world of technology is here today and obsolete tomorrow.

If you were to upgrade to Windows 10, there is no guarantee that any of your present software will work.

By the way, I have been working with Micro computers since operating systems like CPM, MPM, Dos, Windows 286 and 386 have been in use. That trip began in 1975. I must say that Windows 10 is more stable than older operating systems.

My wife stated that they will never make a computer fast enough for me! :eek: She is correct. :love: Katy made that statement in 1995, and I really hate to wait for my computer to do anything. That is where the Internet really sucks! ;) Comcast - take note! :censored:

I was the first person in our computer group to purchase a 10 Meg hard disk (1982). I was criticized: "What are you going to do with all that storage space"? :ROFLMAO:

Tom