Plastic Saddle (Nat Stuckey)

Elwood

Blues
Now this is one of Nat's finest. I never think he meant it to be this way though.

Nothing pretty about this one. Just felt like doing it. I don't remember how I came by this, but it's been a while.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlzbfzwzcycssko/Plastic Saddle(2).mp3?dl=0

It's kind of ironic, a song with the title "plastic saddle" but it's dressed up in all kinds of technical wizardry, love it!

Many thanks many times over to everyone helping with the Studio One Threads! @PapaRaptor really has a gem with that volume control video "clip gain", makes things better fast!
@CaptainMoto and @dvs are both working hard, trying to figure out what I most likely mean when I describe something, and then make excellent suggestions.

I am hoping to get some candid views regarding the relative mix levels. I'm running EZ drummer2, my Jazz Bass, Whitey (my old MIM std tele) does the rhythm task and I got out Red (Tele Elite) so I could use that S1 switch and get the lead lines all nasty. I'm using the Sennheiser e845 mic. Unless I get a solid quiet spell and want to record some delicate acoustic thing, this mic is the bomb!
I ran my bass through my amp to the interface via xlr just to take some work off my CPU. I don't believe it matters if as long as I keep the low latency light on!
Both guitars I ran straight into the amps no one can see (my interface using virtual stuff), another new world for me.

One of these days I'll come up with another blues tune. Hope you don't mind this one.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Excellent!

@PapaRaptor really has a gem with that volume control video "clip gain", makes things better fast!
Did you watch it today or before. I updated it about 3pm this afternoon (EDT) to include both envelope (as was previously shown) and block gain, which I completely forgot when I did the original video. The link has been changed, so if you didn't see the updated version, you'll find the changed version in the original thread.

Elwood

Blues
That would have been about when I was sitting here with your video open, tweaking S1. I need to go back to see. Regardless, there is my second reason I like S1 a lot. "R" has similar features of course, but I didn't get onto it like I did with this. Probably your video!

Thanks Papa!

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Nice song, think you've got a good hook.
I like the song construction.
Good lyrics, nice playing.
For somebody struggling to adapt to a new DAW, I think you're doing great.
You where able to mix the parts very well.
(y)

Elwood

Blues
Ole Nat made up the words,(the right ones anyway). I did my own "arrangement' as you certainly guessed. Thanks Moto!

This is another one that I didn't listen to until I had it down. I put it on to get ideas for the lead guitar, you can tell I went my own way. I was surprised to hear Nat's version. Had I heard that before I started working I may have shuffled on through the jukebox. I do like that tune though. Yeah, thanks...you guys kept the wheels on my project here. Felt real good having you guys coaching!

I am waaaayyyy off from any vocal harmony stuff. Spose the way I get over I better learn how to get the machine to do that too. @PapaRaptor, if you really want to share secrets, teach us how you got the "gurls" to sing along with you. There is a good trick for sure. I know you did the vocal doubling one, maybe same stuff with intervals somehow? And then, how many good harmony lines run straight parallels intervals for any amount of time? I don't know but if I think of Graham Nash, Emmy, Lowell, they drive me crazy with neat harmonies, but I believe those are "live" lines, not holding a straight anything, even go south now and then if your hear a less processed example.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
. @PapaRaptor, if you really want to share secrets, teach us how you got the "gurls" to sing along with you. There is a good trick for sure.
That was very easy.
The first "gurl" was just sung in falsetto and panned center.
The second gurl was a duplicate of the first track, panned left and delayed about 40 milliseconds.
The third gurl was also a duplicate and I used the transpose function to raise the voice, so it was singing the 5th, but lower (-5 semitones). It was also delayed by about 50 milliseconds.
I felt a little like Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis in 'Some Like It Hot.'

Here's the first 'Gurl' recording
https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/forum/Cleanin-The Gurl.mp3

Elwood

Blues
Thanks BCB! You aren't sliding, we just can't hear you play if you keep banging on concrete chutes with an old shovel. Come Play!!!