Picks+stings

S

stu179

Just got my Soloing DVD's,CD's a few week back.I have a Fender strat,Squier guitar.Can anybody recommend the best Picks+strings to use to get the best sound out of it.Been using an 88mm Dunlop pick and Ernie Ball nickel wound guitar strings.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Hi Stu!  It can get pretty subjective.  I would suggest starting out with the Super Slinkys because they are lighter and easier to fret and bend:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-2223-Nickel-Super-Slinky-Custom-Gauge-Electric-Guitar-Strings?sku=100621

This is probably what you already have (they're popular strings that are widely used by professionals).

For picks, a medium would be a good place to start.  Generally, the thinner picks are better for strumming, while the heavier picks are better for soloing.  Some find the medium is just right, other move to heavier picks.  Again, it's subjective.  Medium would be around .73 - .88 - so you could go with what you have (I assume a green tortex) and see how you like it.

:cool:

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
Those are probably the two most common questions we have around here. That being said, Wayne is absolutely right in the fact that they are very subjective. Most people swear by ernie-balls and they are very good strings to start with. As Wayne says, 9's will be a good start and are probably what you have on right now if they're stock. Once you get some more playing experience under you, you'll want to start experimenting with different sets and sizes. None of my guitars use the same set of strings because they all have their own sound and react differently. I'll admit, NONE of them are Ernie Ball's.

As far as picks go, I suggest medium to heavy for picking (as apposed to chord strumming). The Dunlop Jazz series are great for all around and will work for strumming too if you just lighten up your touch. I use the Jazz II right now. My suggestions there is to just go to the local shop and get a dozen or so different picks then try them all out to see what works best for you. Keep them around as you start getting better and try them all again. Most of the ones I first bought never got used again. The funny part is, when I first started I hated these Jazz picks too, until I realized how much faster and accurately I can play with them.

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
All good suggestions. Regarding picks if I had to do it all over again I'd settle for the V pick starter pack and a few different thickness celluloid and nylon picks and the Jazz 3's.
I still don't have a favorite pick yet.
They are cheap enough you can try most any style or material.
Regarding strings the EB Slinkies are excellent..I also like the Fender Bullet strings.
In any case you should buy individual High E 9's and 10's by the dozen.
They are the ones that will break and sometimes break often depending on your touch.
If I can get two or three weeks out of a nine I'm a happy fella.
Musicians Friend has Rogue brand bulk strings for less than 3 bucks a dozen for the 9 and 10's and you can also get them in bulk by the famous makers.

M

MandyC

Pick wise, I prefer Clayton teardrops, particularly for soloing, small, manouverable, thin but fairly rigid, or the Dunlops
Don't get on that well with V.Picks personally.
It is personal preference so try lots of different ones.

I normally use EB Hybrid Slinkys, they are light on the top strings (high E is a 9) but a bit heavier on the base strings so good for a variety of playing.
Having said that I've D'addario strings on the Artcore at the moment and they seem pretty good too

knimmo

Blues Newbie
now for picks i have used shark fins for years and i use the thinnest available,wouldnt suit everyone,as some of my mates say how do you play with those but it does become a personal preferance,and trying different ones until you find something your happy with.
stringwise i never go above 9's as i find anything heavier harder to bend,especualyy if your doing a two hour gig.
just my opinion obviously,its what you feel happy with. ;D

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Stu, I use Ernie Ball on my guitars. I use the 10's on the recommendation of a friend that plays professionally. I may try the 9's later. As for picks I use V-Picks on the recommendation of others on this forum. I really like them though they take a couple of days to get used to. A bonus for me is that mine glow in the dark. For me no practical  reason this is good except I can say they glow in the dark. LOL

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Stu, I use Ernie Ball on my guitars. I use the 10's on the recommendation of a friend that plays professionally. I may try the 9's later. As for picks I use V-Picks on the recommendation of others on this forum. I really like them though they take a couple of days to get used to. A bonus for me is that mine glow in the dark. For me no practical  reason this is good except I can say they glow in the dark. LOL
Larry - if you're comfortable with the 10s, stick with them - they break less! ;)

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
And 11's break even less. That's why I always swap out my E when I break open a fresh pack of Fender Bullets. I tried a 10 for a few weeks and they just felt too much like rubber bands to me.

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
Strat, I think you're the first person who's agreed with me about Fender Bullets. I only use them on the strat, but I love them.[/quote

I use them on my Strat and 9's at that.  They seem to seat in the trem block better and sound good on the strat.  But, I admit the Strat doesn't get the playing time the others get. 

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Thanks for the advice Wayne. I have no problem with the 10's as that is what I started with. I will stay with them as they do bend easy for me and I haven't broke any yet. (Touch wood). :)

L

Lame_Pinkey

Prefer Fender strings though wouldn't put them on my Gibson's that would be sacrilege ! I have 10's , 11's & 12's on my guitars at present. Any other brand except ernie ball for my Gibson's.Picks I have a mountain to choose from  ;D

LP

gpower

Blues Junior
D'Adarrio EXL and GHS TnT Boomers are my faves. Been sticking to the V-Pick since I got them.

L

Lame_Pinkey

I too was a dedicated user of the V-Pick.Not long after the initial thread was started ( by Chuck iirc ) I got 2 V-Picks the 4.7 mm ones , great i thought but then I found my old Fender tear drop picks & they have been my mainstay ever since - plus they are so old they are antique's  ;D.
I still like the V-Picks & i do believe they build accuracy in your playing , which is why i still go back to them from time to time - just to keep those accuracy chops up  ;)

LP

S

stu179

Cheers guy's for all your suggestion's and advice on type's of strings and picks.I,ve taken it all on board and will be putting into practice in future.

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
Just got my Soloing DVD's,CD's a few week back.I have a Fender strat,Squier guitar.Can anybody recommend the best Picks+strings to use to get the best sound out of it.Been using an 88mm Dunlop pick and Ernie Ball nickel wound guitar strings.

Hi Stu... .88 should be okay, but personally I like to use as light a pick as possible on my SG... I use .46mm Jim Dunlops...

Cheers  [smiley=beer.gif]

Cynicure

Blues Newbie

Oh, forgot to talk about strings! Ernie Ball are good; D'Addario are just as good and possibly cheaper; that's what I normally use on my SG; for my Ibanez accoustic I prefer Martin Phosphor Bronze Light Guage... but it's worth trying a different kind of string each time you change them for a while on a new guitar, just to see what kind of difference they make to the sound; find a brand, that you particlularly like the sound and feel of, and stick with it/them...  or two or three 'favorite' brands even, so you always have a 'plan 'B''; if you can't find one of 'em you might be lucky enough to find the others.

:)