picks again

Derro

Blues Newbie
When holding a pick how much of the pick should be protruding from the finger and thumb .I try to get at least half so my finger and thumb don't hit the strings, is this a good technique for a learner ?

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
You really want to to aim for having just the tip of the pick clear of your thumb. Having said that I don't think it's something to concentrate on too much as you'll find what works best for you as you go along and the more practice you have the better your technique will become anyway.

When you're watching Griff's lessons keep an eye out for the closeups, maybe run a section a couple of times after taking in the lesson itself to see what you can pick up that is general to playing in addition to the actual lesson content.

It'll all come together  [smiley=beer.gif]

samwell

been here.....
you & only you have the answer to your question: everybody holds a pick in the manner they find most efficient for themselves :eek:   it will become obvious when you get comfortable with a particular grip, just like figuring out how to finger-pick, strum, mute, etc. :cool:  it gets here when the gods send it.... [smiley=beer.gif]

L

Lame_Pinkey

When holding a pick how much of the pick should be protruding from the finger and thumb .I try to get at least half so my finger and thumb don't hit the strings, is this a good technique for a learner ?
Again this is a matter for the individual to discover : there is no "one way to hold it for all" option. I for example, use tiny tear drop picks (mostly) and I have about 1/8 of an inch of the tip exposed.By playing like this I have my thumb muting the string above if I have just played it and I'm moving to the next string below it to pick - think quick triplet type sound, my thumb mutes or kills the the string from ringing out.
work on it try different lengths when holding see what feels good what sounds good if at any stage you are prevented from doing something by holding the pick in that particular manner then discard that option.

LP