picking in shuffle ehyrg and fill question

miko

Blues Newbie
I feel more compfortable using fingers only (index, middle and ring finger) in the examples instead of a pick and middle and ring finger. Wonder if I should force myself to learn with the pick,.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Good question, miko! I can only tell you that I'm way more comfortable with a pick, but I force myself to use my fingers, even though it's a lot harder for me to play that way. I think you should only force yourself to do what you want to learn. But, a pick does come in awfully "handy!"

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
It comes down to personal preference and they style of playing that you are going for.
I personally don't see a reason to limit myself to one or the other.
I'm MUCH more comfortable with a pick, so I try to use a pick and three fingers as much as I can.

miko

Blues Newbie
Re: picking in shuffle rhythm and fill question

I learned guitar way back doing classical on a classical guitar. Maybe that's why I feel comfortable using fingers. But if you have to switch to pick for a solo I guess it's handy to have it in your hand already....

jmin

Student Of The Blues
miko,
I just happened across an Albert King video (one of the three Blues Kings) and he DOESN'T use a pick! Check him out! I'm sure there are LOTS of great blues players who never used a pick.

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Jeff Beck's a good example of a guitarist that doesn't use a pick and you don't get cooler than Jeff.  :)

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I agree with Mike, and it is up to you to decide what style you want to play.  You can take just about any piece of music and create an arrangement based upon the style you want to play.  Some styles lend themselves best to specific techniques.

I have played classical and flamenco for more than 50 years, and during my journey picked up a few instruments like the Balalaika, Mandolin, Irish Bouzouki, Irish Tenor Banjo, and Steel Guitar.  For me the first four are best played using a pick.  As for the Lap Steel, I hate to use finger picks, so I use fingers only.  When I started playing electric, I went to a pick but it was not a problem.  However, for my acoustic, I prefer finger style.

Playing with or without a pick is something that only you can choose.  Some teachers will insist you do it their way and want to make you a little version of themselves, which can be a good thing for many players.  However, for those players that went his/her own way, they have chosen a lonely path.  That path can have great rewards if you stick to it.  Master what you like and enjoy yourself.

Think of players like Wes Montgomery, Merle Travis, and Chet Atkins.  Each had a unique sound based upon right hand technique.  You can create a very long list of other artists who have his/her own sound.  So my advice is to try different techniques and see what you like best.  That can lead to something very rewarding.  Just be prepared to do a bit more work than the average player.   :)

Tom    

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Let me go crazy here. As you probably know I am not the best player but I do have a curious mind. So here it goes. Most new or newer players want to learn to play as quickly as possible. If that is the case I say just use what is comfortable i.e. picks, fingers, or both. Then when you are an advanced intermediate or pro learn the other methods. Why spend your time on something that slows your learning down. Go with what works now. You can add other techniques later. Just my 2 cents. P.S. you get what you pay for. LOL

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I saw the Tedeschi-Trucks band on PBS a few nights ago. Trucks never used a pick. I'm comfortable with a pick augmented by two fingers, or a Thumb and three fingers. The littlefinger never gets into it.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
It comes down to personal preference and they style of playing that you are going for.
[glow=yellow,2,300]I personally don't see a reason to limit myself to one or the other.[/glow]
I'm MUCH more comfortable with a pick, so I try to use a pick and three fingers as much as I can.
+1  I am getting more into hybrid picking.  I starting using the pick and my middle finger playing live a while ago.  I'm working the 2nd DVD now and now I'm using the middle and ring finder hybrid picking with the pick.  That other course I'm working on right now (triad power Blues edition) has also got me working on hybrid picking with the flat pick, middle and ring fingers.  But then I have those old favorites I learned a long time ago on acoustic that I finger pick.  Like Blackbird.  I still only finger pick it.  I expect I may finder pick some of the old Blues standards on acoustic and for slide at some point.  Still, I sure do like the flat pick. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

joeblues27

Blues with feeling
Well Hubert Sumlin who played with Howlin Wolf was forced to play with no pick. Wolf told him to go learn to play without a pick or don't come back to play in Wolf's band. I personally perfer the tone of no pick.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I remember some Blues cat named Griff saying use everything if you can. Since I like the sound of my Martin Acoustic with my fingers that is all I use on it. With my electrics I use a pick a lot but have been working on hybrid with pick and 3 fingers. As time goes on all 3 methods get easier (except when I have to stop playing due to back problems then getting a callous back on the thumb is not so much fun lol)