Pickguards...

Shodai

Blues Junior
I liked Fender guitars. I do. Really. The only things I really don't like are the position of the volume knob on Strats, and that big chunk of plain old white or black plastic covering up the front of the guitar.

Most of my guitars are not what one would call common. So finding a pickguard was something I had just about given up on. Then I found Pickguard Planet. Got some very nice 4 ply tortoise pickguards for my Modern Player Plus Tele, and my MIJ Strat. Put in the Tele pickguard tonight, only required minor trimming around the control plate. Really compliments the burst. I won't get the Strat done until tomorrow, but here's the Tele:

Before:
IMG_20200220_190828399_opt.jpg
After:
IMG_20200220_202553233_opt.jpg

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I think tortoise on a Fender burst is just about the best looking a Tele can be. I have one on my sunburst Bigsby Strat Edit: Tele (brain fart)
I've had really good luck using Kaish pickguards. I don't think I've even had to relocate screw holes when using them. Amazon sells them in just about any configuration and color you can imagine (even pink).
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=Kaish+guitar+pickguards&ref=nb_sb_noss

Last edited:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I think tortoise on a Fender burst is just about the best looking a Tele can be. I have one on my sunburst Bigsby Strat Edit: Tele (brain fart)
I've had really good luck using Kaish pickguards. I don't think I've even had to relocate screw holes when using them. Amazon sells them in just about any configuration and color you can imagine (even pink).

Hey @PapaRaptor, you're right, they do look good on a burst strat!

20200220_224417.jpg

Shodai

Blues Junior

I saw those but couldn't find them for the two guitars I wanted to put them on. My Tele is a Fender Modern Player Plus, which was only made for a couple of years then discontinued. I don't think I've ever seen a negative review about them. Nice player, good sound, very non standard configuration, and Fender made them in China. WD Music and Pickguard Planet were the only two places I found that had pickguards for this model.

Similar story with the Strat. It's a 1985 Contemporary Standard, made in Japan with the system one tremolo. Again, only made for a short time, and the bridge is wider than a traditional Fender bridge. Pickguard Planet was the only place that I found that had pickguards for this model.

So far, no issues with screw placement. The half moon cut out for the control plate was a little tight, so I did trim that back a bit. Otherwise everything lined up perfectly.

I'll be doing the install on the Strat tonight.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm kinda partial to mine...

DSC_1668-sm.jpg

Pick%20Guard%20Final.jpg

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Cool stuff. I struggled with this issue on the Spincaster project, and hating how that gorgeous wood grain gets covered up with a guard. Never did find an alternative to a simple plain black one that worked for me, so I just learned to live with it.

86635372-1F84-4360-8EB1-C05B593A7F66.jpeg

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Well... It's done. And I gotta say, I like it. Kind of amazed at how much it changes the look.

Again, my phone takes horrible photos and doesn't really do it justice.

View attachment 10477

Now you did it! I have the same color of strat and always liked the look but not after seeing yours:(. I may have to make a purchase and pray I don’t screw something up on the guitar trying to swap it out. I hate/love all of you enablers on this forum :cool:.