Pick me!

DavidLylis

Aspiring Bluesman
When I started guitar lessons about 6 months ago I just did not like using a pick, so I didn't. The guy who was teaching me said it was ok as Lindsay Buckingham doesn't use a pick and Jeff Beck doesn't use a pick, Derek Trucks etc. (I haven't called them to ask, but that's what I found online so it must be true). Should I use a pick?

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I'm reasonably confident the three skilled guitarists you mentioned above could all play with a pick if they wanted to.

As the Skunk said in his post above, it's just another tool in the toolbox best approach would probably be to learn both.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Of the three mentioned Jeff Beck doesn't use a "pick" , but his thumb nail on picking hand is an inch long. Personally I prefer each at times and both together at others.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
As all have said, I think it's worthwhile to get decent at both.

Albert King didn't use a pick either, SRV did. Will you get the SRV sound without a pick? I don't think so. Can you get Albert's sound with a pick? I doubt it.

When I hold a pick, I still have fingers available, so that's the most convenient way, to me. My friend Arnie Newman is a thumbpick guy and is a monster with them. Maybe that would feel more comfortable?

I'm not trying to dissuade you from using fingers at all, there will be advantages and disadvantages to whatever you go with.