Performing Tips

Pete R

Blues Newbie
Jam Session Survival

Those of you, like me, who have yet to take the BIG step and put yourself on a public stage for a jam or band performance may benefit from this article.  It's a page from a yahoo jazz guitar group.  The person writing the questions had a bad experience in his first jam session and wants to know what to do about the problems he experienced.  The big thing I got from this article is that you can't worry about what other people think...  You have to go into it with the attitude, "I have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.  I'm going to make mistakes, but I'll learn from them."

It would be great if all of you who have taken the BIG step could post your lessons learned and any advice you'd like to pass along to us.  I know Dave has posted some things, but maybe we could start a list under the Important Topics section of the "Gigs - ..." category.

http://jazzguitarfaq.com/FAQ00038.htm

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I Agree with Razdaddy that we could use a place to keep our Performing Tips together, so I'll stickey this link. I know there are several people like Dave and John that have been there, done that and the rest of us can really learn from them.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'd like to hear from those of you that play in bands.
When you are playing a song, and let's say that the soloist doesn't come in when he's supposed to. How do you handle it on stage?
1) Stay on the chord until he starts
2) Wait for the chords to "come around again"
3) Keep going and let him catch up.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Since I am the only guitarist in my band I get to see it from both sides.  We do have a harp player who I guess I would consider our solo guy.  I do a few simple short solos, but that is it right now.  I do start off a lot of songs with the initial riff and I have an uncanny ability to muff that up, especially when we flow from one song to another and I have to switch gears.  In those scenarios, the band (bass player and drummer) usually just hold the chord until I "get it", then we take off.

But there are definitely places for all three of your scenarios Mike.

johnc

systematic
When you are playing a song, and let's say that the soloist doesn't come in when he's supposed to. How do you handle it on stage?

Mike, most times if it is an instrumental break, the rhythm section would just keep playing through the normal progression and the instrument soloist would need to come back in where they can.
Sometimes though it can be appropriate to just stay on the opening chord and the start of the lead can trigger the rest of the progression.   It depends a bit on the song and the onstage communication of the band..

But if it is a vocal I am waiting for, we might just stay on the opening chord until the singer starts, then carry on from there..  I think that is fairly standard when they forget the words.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Re: Jam Session Survival

It would be great if all of you who have taken the BIG step could post your lessons learned and any advice you'd like to pass along to us.  I know Dave has posted some things, but maybe we could start a list under the Important Topics section of the "Gigs - ..." category.

Well I posted a long story about my first Gig but Dave (Bluewater) summarized my lessons as follows:

Great Success story. I love the detail and could feel the anticipation, relief, joy, only to circle back on the tension of the encore. Great picture too!!!!

Alan- once again congratulations to you and your band mates.

- and there are few lessons that I will try to learn from your experience.

1.) Cell #'s program them into you phone ahead of time.
2.) Start the recorder way ahead of time. My recorder will support hours of recording using the MP3 setting. Besides it is good to set the levels with the other bands on first.
3.) Show up late so you can play to a crowd that is already rip roaring and ready to go!
4.) It's Ok to repeat a song for encore so you can give 'em your best.
5.) oh yea! fuel up the vehicles before making the trek to the gig.

is there anything I missed? Oh yea

6.) remember to SMILE.  Smiley

Dave

Could not have said it better Dave

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ

Is this a loaded question or what?  Kinda depends on the players and song.  If the vocalists misses, we usually wait (someone with jump in with a instrument solo)...however, if it is a guitar player doing a solo, they just have to catch up...amazing what holding a couple of notes will do......sometimes our frontman, the harp player, turns to me and gives me a solo....usually he is late and I'm not prepared....one of the reasons I'm doing the BGU...bg... however still fun....sometimes good things come out of "mistakes"...later.

cowboy

jimatwell

Blues Newbie
I've only played live three times so I'm not very experienced but here's what I came up with:

1. Have fun (difficult because you're trying to remember your parts, stay in time, listen to what's going on etc.)

2. Record your performance (the last time I played I thought I didn't sound too good on one of the tunes because the solo I played was different from what I intended, but I felt much better when I heard it later).  Also good for the memories and for critical review later.

3. Practice until you think you have your parts down cold and then practice some more.  I learned that years ago when I was studying for the CPA exam - once I got to the actual test that was the easiest part since I had studied my butt off for months ahead of time.  Same for performance - if you're confident in your parts it will be one less thing to worry about onstage.

4. Do a dry run (if you can).  If you have the chance, when you're on stage and everybody is getting plugged in and fiddling around with whatever, turn the volume on your guitar down and run through a few of your parts to make sure your fingers are working.  At my first performance I didn't feel nervous but noticed that my fingers were shaking.  The dry run eased my mind since I found I could control my shaking fingers.

5. If you make a mistake, chances are it won't be noticed by anybody except you and maybe the band.  Regarding the solo I mentioned in #2 - I hit a string I didn't mean to and muted it and then lost focus for a second.  I fell back into the solo and managed to get through it but played it differently than I wanted and thought it sounded lousy, but listening to it later, it fit since I managed to stay in the correct key and finished when I needed to.

OK, enough rambling on.  I'm sure there are more but you're probably sick of reading by now so I'll stop.  #1 is the most important and maybe the hardest - have fun!

Jim

Russ

Blues Newbie
I know its personal choice and all, but I'm wondering how good a person should be before he/she performs in front of family. I've got a couple uncles who I know are going to point out any little thing I might do wrong. Is there a way to say "up yours" or "I don't see you up here" not outright, but with some style?  :-?

560sdl

Blues Newbie
I would say that as soon as you hear the first negative word, hand them the guitar without saying a word yourself.  If they don't take it, you will make your point and any other family members will "get it".  In general, family are very supportive of playing, if not hearing you practice things over and over.

Russ

Blues Newbie
560, That's great and obvious advice. It's no wonder my wife tells me I don't think before I speak :-*  :-X.  ;) LOL. I'm thinking I would like to try Christmas songs at the end of 2010 for the family, so that may be some small stress. I suppose they say its harder to perform in front of people you know, so that might break the "performing" ice for me. I am to the point that I can practice in front of the wife and kids. The extended family is a different story.

Thanks for this thread, guys.

Russ

Blues Newbie
http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1240068680/45
3 tips for conquoring stage fright.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Russ, If you feel like it sounds good, go for it. If they make negative comments, just tell them they don't have to drop any cash in the hat.

johnc

systematic
Russ, It has been my experience that family are often not the most supportive people.  My mum would say anything I did was great and my wife is over listening to the same things over and over.

I believe that the most supportive people to do your first live performance in front of are players themselves.  To start with just get up with others and try and jam along.  You will buld a lot of confidence this way.  Something like what Tim and Jim Atwell did is the ideal thing I think.
Perform in front of the extended family when you are feeling ready though and absolutely don't let anyone put you down ever.   It's about your experience and anyone who isn't kind and supportive is not worth listening to.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Russ, It has been my experience that family are often not the most supportive people.  My mum would say anything I did was great and my wife is over listening to the same things over and over.

I believe that the most supportive people to do your first live performance in front of are players themselves.  To start with just get up with others and try and jam along.  You will buld a lot of confidence this way.  Something like what Tim and Jim Atwell did is the ideal thing I think.
Perform in front of the extended family when you are feeling ready though and absolutely don't let anyone put you down ever.   It's about your experience and anyone who isn't kind and supportive is not worth listening to.

enough said...players appreciate what it takes to get up and play.....thanks john.....

jeffesh

Blues Newbie
I believe that the most supportive people to do your first live performance in front of are players themselves.  

I have found this to be true among friends and family members too. Those that play an instrument or have played in the past are usually very supportive while those that have no musical experience think that it should be easy.

Photojeep

Blues Newbie
I don't play in a band but I do play weekly at my church.  I've been playing there for the past 12 years or so and I am the only instrument.  Granted I play to a much more forgiving audience than your average bar, I still get nervous every Sunday morning.

A few of things I've learned:
-When I make mistakes, I'm usually the only one who notices.
-Church goes by much faster when I'm playing in my choir than when I am sitting in the congregation.  Perhaps because I am concentrating so hard on everything around me...
-I find that listening to my singers helps keep everything smooth.  I guess this is part of the ear training thing.
-If I think something sounds awful, I'm usually the only one who thinks so.  It's not uncommon after mass to be thinking my music sounded really bad and have someone come up to me and thank me for the "beautiful music".
-Keep the communication lines open during your playing.  For me it's keeping my choir on tempo because it's not uncommon for me to play an intro too fast or slow and then I have to get them to the correct tempo-the one I should have started on.

Making music is one of my favorite things and I am amazed that the more I learn, the more I find there is to learn.  Keep playing and "making mistakes."  

Best to all,
PJ