Pentatonic scale

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
when it says box 1 or box 3, how do you know where that is on the neck ?
Thanks
Bill

If we're talking about the same boxes, I anchor them based on the root note of the key; so, box 1 starts on the fret where strings 1 and 6 have the root. In this pic the red dots are the root notes and the blue dots are the blues notes.

minor_pentatonic_chart.png

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
how do you know where that is on the neck ?
Depends on where the Root note/tonic of the scale you want is on the neck.

The lowest note in Box 1 (6th string, right facing) is a minor Pentatonic root and the upper note (6th string, left facing) is a Major Pentatonic root.

Box 3 has the minor root on the 5th string, upper note (left facing) and the Major root on the 4th string, lower note (right facing).

The boxes are moveable and will be in different places in different keys. (But always connected.)

Line the roots of these boxes up with the root of the minor or Major pentatonic you want to play.

EXAMPLES:

Am Box 1: Your first finger will be on A at the 6th string,5th fret.

C Major Box 1: Your pinky will be on the C at the 6th string, 8th fret.

Am Box 3: Your 3rd finger will be on the A on the 5th string 12th fret.

C major Box 3: Your 1st finger will be on C on the 4th string 10th fret.

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
if I may suggest, the course penatonic scales mastery..............all shall be revealed in this course, the wonders of the boxes shall opened, the mysteries of positions will expand the universe

seriously, I had a hard time just learning boxes, this course, developed the muscle memory in no time, and sometimes my hands move faster than I can think, I do this course daily...........not all of it as I havent finished, but the first 55 pages pretty much 6 days a week

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
The question is how do you know where a Box is on the neck.

Any box can start on any fret on the 6th string.

Specifically, if considering Box 1 as minor, you can start with your first finger on any fret of the 6th string.

If your 1st finger is on F at the first fret, it is Fm.
On the 3rd fret, Gm.
5th fret Am, etc.

Whatever note your 1st finger is on on the 6th string is the root and name of the minor pentatonic scale in Box 1.

All Boxes and barre chords are moveable and can occur anywhere on the neck, depending on the Key.

PSTM will help you master playing the boxes.

However, Major Minor Blues Shapes, will be more helpful in finding where to play each Box from it's root notes, rather than from 6th string non-root notes.

Last edited: