Ouch, shoulda used the flatwounds!

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Had a gig on bass tonight, this is what my plucking fingers looked like 1 1/2h into the 3h gig.

IMG_20191215_225616-1664x1248.jpg

Not sure why, I think I my bass amp was set a little too low so I plucked too hard (I was definitely getting into it tonight).

My other bass has flatwound strings, much easier on the fingers, but this never happened before, except way early in my bass playing days and I would catch it before it got that bad.

I turned the volume up, played softer and closer to the neck for the rest of the gig. Not as much attack in my sound, but I managed not to bleed all over my bass. I'll leave this kind of antics to Jack White.

artyman

Fareham UK
You obviously are neglecting your practising, otherwise they would be calloused up. Seriously though I admire your commitment carrying on playing with fingers like that.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I don't play bass, but I might give it a try at some point. I see why upright bass players using their fingers would continue that practice with a bass guitar, but why not use a pick? I did some googling on that and it seems that opinions are split about 50/50. Thoughts??

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I don't play bass, but I might give it a try at some point. I see why upright bass players using their fingers would continue that practice with a bass guitar, but why not use a pick? I did some googling on that and it seems that opinions are split about 50/50. Thoughts??
I originally learned to play bass with a pick and flatwounds. Didn't everyone in the late 60's/early 70's? I almost never use a pick now. Never quite got proper plucking technique down, so I use a combination of thumb and two fingers. It's not that I'm against using a pick. I just choose not to.

Elwood

Blues
Hey Papa, "Didn't everyone in the late 60's/early 70's? ". Ummm, Rotosound round wounds on my Jazz bass. RH, two fingers with thumb down. Loved the sound. Used to boil the strings a few times between changes to get all the "material" off. Late nights, bars closed around 4:30. Ugly fingers on both hands for a long time. I still have Daddario RW on it now, squeak and all.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Those blisters are nice and purple today but the swelling has gone down.
I'm on a business trip all week, so I should be back just in time for when they dry out and the skin falls off.

I was going to post some footage of the gig but someone stood in front of the camera most of the time. I'll see what I can salvage when I get back from my business trip.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Hey Papa, "Didn't everyone in the late 60's/early 70's? ". Ummm, Rotosound round wounds on my Jazz bass. RH, two fingers with thumb down. Loved the sound. Used to boil the strings a few times between changes to get all the "material" off. Late nights, bars closed around 4:30. Ugly fingers on both hands for a long time. I still have Daddario RW on it now, squeak and all.

In my second life, I've used nothing but RW strings. I think the only bass I have that came with FW was my Dano Longhorn, but as soon as I got a proper set of short scales RW, it got changed out. The remaining half dozen basses all have EB .050s.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I do like that both my basses sound different and while most of it it is due to th electronics, the strings are also a big part of the equation (more than on guitar in my opinion). The FW have less high end and less attack (probably because if the less high end) but s sound great.

In a way it doesn't help that the RW are on a Jazz bass that I built and I added the vintage covers to. I often chose to pick between the ashtray and pickup cover, so closer to the bridge where the tension is most felt. But I've been playing that bass for 2 years and never got blood blisters before.

Lucas Special-522x757.jpg

Elwood

Blues
I recently set up a friend's p-bass with some booty-q (boutique) flat wounds. They sound and play great. He is after that Motown half-dead thump that is so cool. As much time as I'm putting in on 6 strings right now, the JB kicks my behind. I believe it is the combination of the long scale and some other issues. If I had to do even a short regular bass gig now I would make things as easy as possible, absolutely. My JB wears round wounds and gets infrequent use, no problem.
I had to chuck that pick up cover and move the block to the top for my thumb. Fingers right over that Gibson EBO pickup (on mine) and things that will, move.
There is mine, it's old, the only one I need.

Those fingers look real stingy...ouch!!!
upload_2019-12-16_19-10-30.png

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I do like that both my basses sound different and while most of it it is due to th electronics, the strings are also a big part of the equation (more than on guitar in my opinion). The FW have less high end and less attack (probably because if the less high end) but s sound great.

In a way it doesn't help that the RW are on a Jazz bass that I built and I added the vintage covers to. I often chose to pick between the ashtray and pickup cover, so closer to the bridge where the tension is most felt. But I've been playing that bass for 2 years and never got blood blisters before.

View attachment 9823
I always liked the sound of my flats for about two days. Then they sounded like someone stuck rags in my speakers. I don't have anything against FW and some of the most iconic rock, blues, jazz and funk hits were made using them. I just really like the top end that RWs have.. And in a pinch I can use them on my chain saw!

Elwood

Blues
rabbit snares, tire cables...
Probably with that Gibson pickup I really like the RW but I can still dial in brittle highs if wanted. See. and I wussed out, I've got 45-100s now. The weight! I'd die even with my faaat strap. Imagine drilling a bunch of 2" holes in a JB to live with it?!?

ever try a chunk of sponge under the strings back by the saddle? Re-tune! It's nice for some things.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I did to simulate the foam pads that used to be under the ashtray in the original jazz bass. And the ashtray hides the ugly sponges.
Dint really care for the sound though, I didn't think it made it sound more like an acoustics bass as claimed. For that I use the neck pickup, then plucknwith full finger closer to the neck