Open Mic Invitation

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
From “Schultze Gets the Blues”.

I saw this movie several years ago, and can recommend it! A German, who plays accordion, has a passion to play Zydeco music, so he travels to the Texas Gulf Coast and Louisiana bayou country. For those of you who are about to retire or even for those who have retired, there is a message!

Tom

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Well, I reluctantly share this, ...but anything to support paparaptor!
I may have previously mentioned I played in a band in High School...the "keyboard" player was an Italian accordionist! We played 50's and Surf music!
After a few years of that, and when I got back from the Navy, he had returned to playing at Weddings and asked me join. Did that for a few years, until I was replaced by a "pro."
...Fast forward 35 years and here's some of us re-uniting to play a retirement home gig! Yikes!

https://youtu.be/WTHr8a-GkvQ

If it were not for an accordion player, I probably never would have played a single gig in my life!

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about finally playing at an open mic... on accordion. It was on a dare from the house keyboard player that I did it. It really was just for laughs and it definitely was a fun time.

Yesterday I got a text from the organizer inviting me back (tonight), along with the charts for two tunes that one of the regular OM singers wants me to play on... on accordion.

And people wonder why I drink!
Next thing you know the phone will be ringing from Nashville for Studio work!

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about finally playing at an open mic... on accordion. It was on a dare from the house keyboard player that I did it. It really was just for laughs and it definitely was a fun time.

Yesterday I got a text from the organizer inviting me back (tonight), along with the charts for two tunes that one of the regular OM singers wants me to play on... on accordion.

And people wonder why I drink!
Accordion is a staple in TexMex music, and zydeco so go for it.

Last edited:

sloslunas

NM Blues
I may have previously mentioned I played in a band in High School...the "keyboard" player was an Italian accordionist! We played 50's and Surf music!
After a few years of that, and when I got back from the Navy, he had returned to playing at Weddings and asked me join. Did that for a few years, until I was replaced by a "pro."
...Fast forward 35 years and here's some of us re-uniting to play a retirement home gig! Yikes!

If it were not for an accordion player, I probably never would have played a single gig in my life!
That was awesome "Sandbagger"! Thanks for posting this...

Steve

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
That was great Jim! Too bad it cut out just as you were rockin' it.

At Blues, Blues and BBQ last year in Napa, I saw Andre Thierry do Killing Floor on accordion:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Every time

JMIn- nice vid. You have that surf lead sound down. Nice that you are doing that for the seniors.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Accordion is also prominent in some strains of TexMex music as well as Zydeco.

And here's a sort of country-ish pop confection (lyrics about rawhide and homespun)

Buttons and Bows

Well yeah, it's about 60 years old, so..?

Last edited:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Here's a "Tejano" all star jam

Accordions

None of them have the "standard" keyboard with white and black keys. Also a lot less left hand buttons, so what is going on?

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Landslide (Fleetwood Mac) and Love Has No Pride (Bonnie Raitt). Just looked at the charts he sent me. I'd probably do better just listening to the songs.
Luckily, Fleetwood Mac stuff is usually just two or three chords repeated over and over (and over and over).
If it helps Buckingham plays Key of G shapes capo at third fret making it in A on Landslide

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Here's a "Tejano" all star jam

Accordions

None of them have the "standard" keyboard with white and black keys. Also a lot less left hand buttons, so what is going on?
They are called three row diatonic accordions. I have absolutely no experience with them.
Here is a video explaining the right hand keys on a G three row diatonic.