Online piano lessons?

patb

Blues Junior
I want to play blues , rock. Any recommendations?
Keyboard recommendations? I'm currently looking at Roland. It's easy to blow a budget.
Thanks, Pat

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Like with guitar lessons, it's important to find the right teacher for you. As a kid, I wanted to play the boogie woogie like Leon or Jerry Lee, but didn't have the patience to sit through all the Twinkle Little Star type lessons. Led to me thinking I wasn't musically inclined for too many years.
As for a keyboard, it all depends on how you want to use it. Like a midi keyboard for playing into a daw or a keyboard to play into an amp? Then there are weighted or semi weighted keys depending how realistic you want the action to feel like. Lastly, 25, 49, 61, or 88 keys?
I still can't play piano worth a darn but use an Akai MPK49 to get midi sounds into StudioOne, my daw of choice. I just youtube lessons song by song to learn some of them, then usually play left and right hands separately on different tracks cuz I usually can't play them simultaneously. I used Piano with Jonny for some piano blues theory.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Find a good teacher. Good luck.

I do not know your budget, but I would recommend the Yamaha PSR-E273. Guitar Center has them for $139.99. Look for a better price if you want to. It has 66 keys rather than the customary 88.

I started piano when I was 6, and played throughout my school years, and made my debut at age 9 with Richard Stoltzman, my friend, classmate, and a well known Clarinetist. My piano teacher was Miss Meyers, who played the Organ for our Catholic Church. Miss Meyers had me playing Bach, and someone would call her on the telephone, or ring the door bell. She would leave the room and answer the call. As soon as she left, I would begin playing Boogie Woogie!

When Miss Meyers returned to the music room, she would get out her 18” ruler and hit me across the back of my hands. No Boogie Woogie allowed at her house! Lovely person! 18” rulers were standard issue for the nuns at Most Holy Redeemer in San Francisco, where I attended school. They knew how to use them too! :mad:

I have owned many piano keyboards, and the one I recommended is a good starter. Now if you wish to step up a bit, I can highly recommend Steinway Pianos, and I love the one that we own! :)

The piano keyboard we have these days is a Yamaha Motif XS8. It is one that Stevie Wonder used. It is a very nice keyboard. But the Steinway is best! :cool::)

Tom

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
When Miss Meyers returned to the music room, she would get out her 18” ruler and hit me across the back of my hands. No Boogie Woogie allowed at her house! Lovely person! 18” rulers were standard issue for the nuns at Most Holy Redeemer in San Francisco, where I attended school. They knew how to use them too! :mad:

Nuns with rulers-sm.jpg