One Course or the Other?

Discussion in 'SWS Questions' started by TonyS, May 17, 2010.

1. TonyS

TonyS Blues Newbie

I have to admit to loving SWS....but it has also heightened my interest in BGU as well.  Loving every minute of working with both.

2. aforrest

aforrest Guest

Thanks stratogeezer, maybe I will try both BBG and SWS together, I guess rushing through a course just to say you finished, doesn't necessarily mean you learned anything

3. stratogeezer

stratogeezer Blues Newbie

Excellent point AC.
    Personally I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to finish BGU to the Griff standard.
    The goal is to learn what he is teaching and do the best with what skills I have at the present time while striving to improve.
    These lessons will be in constant refinement mode for me for a long time to come.
    Above all we need to enjoy the process and journey to becoming guitar players.
    What's great about Griffs courses is they continually stretch us and provide goals no matter what our skill level is.
    Keep at it AC..it takes years for most of us.
    It's a marathon ..not a sprint.
    The dues MUST be paid.

4. Jerry_G

Jerry_G Blues Newbie

I too have all three courses.  I went through BBG first then started in on BGU and was at the first solo in BGU when SWS arrived. I've been spending more time on SWS lately but still go back and try and improve on all the lessons in BGU leading up to the first solo. It's going to take some time to get them all sounding how I want. I think all the courses compliment themselves very nicely and it's great to have so much material to work on (too bad I have to work for a living though but learning to play this instrument well is something I'll be working on as long as my fingers let me).  It's all great stuff!   :)

5. 560sdl

560sdl Blues Newbie

I guess for me, I am finding that even just messing with Solo 1 in SWS, it is easier for me to take that concept and use it to JUST HAVE FUN PLAYING.  Last night I just tried to adapt the phrases in solo 1 to a variety of backing tracks and that is just plain fun.  And what I am learning is to LISTEN to the chord changes and adjust the timing of the phrases.  By the end of a track I finally have it down pretty good and if I play it through a second time, the improvement is tremendous. 

Fun Improvement = permanent learning

6. MikeS

MikeS Moderator... Another Man In Black.
    Staff Member

Alan, If that's the only thing you learn form SWS, it's worth the price. Listening to the chord changes ( and even knowing in advance what's happening) will make it easier for you to "tell a story" or build excitement within your soloing.

7. 560sdl

560sdl Blues Newbie

Mike,

I agree.  For me, the best part about this whole SWS exercise and why I think no one should wait to finish BGU before beginning SWS, is the shear simplicity of the concept.  I have by no means mastered the first solo or even tried to play it to the actual backing track, much less record it.  BUT, I have now played that solo to probably 20 other backing tracks in various keys and filled in with lots of homemade fills and stuff and had a blast doing it.  Tuesday night I think I was doing it in Dm and was jumping around between two octaves and was just ecstatic. 

So the fact that you have something simple that you cannot really screw up too bad allows you such freedom to really explore and listen while you play instead of "worrying" about doing 10 things right.  You get to search out for little melodic phrases in the 4-6 notes you are playing.  You can work on speed and tempo.

Just fantastic!  Thanks Griff! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

8. TonyS

TonyS Blues Newbie

You raise a good point there 560. It's great fun taking stuff that Griff teachers and playing about with it in other keys and to other backing tracks.  It can sound so diferent in a different tempo yet its the same notes....multiple solos in one....now that's value for money Griff.

9. MikeS

MikeS Moderator... Another Man In Black.
    Staff Member

Man, I can't wait til you guys get to lesson 10 and solo #3. It's going to blow you away. I've said it before, but you will no longer be "jumping around between two octaves". You will be sliding into octaves all over the neck. I'm telling you your jaw is going to drop when you see all that you can do with the addition of one simple slide.

10. MandyC

MandyC Guest

I think SWS could run along side either BBG or BGU. I overlapped the end of BBG with the start of BGU so I didn't start SWS until I'd 'finished' BBG but that was more a time issue than worrying about conflicting lessons.
    Having said that I'm still playing BBG stuff regularly to try and improve it all.
    Like others have said, SWS is a blast. It's almost like learning stuff without realising it because it gives you the freedom to just enjoy playing - frays your fingertips though.