One Course or the Other?

Discussion in 'SWS Questions' started by TonyS, May 17, 2010.

1. TonyS

TonyS Blues Newbie

Here is a question for Griff and the panel.

I have just ordered SWS, as I didn't want to miss out, but still working on BGU.  Will it benefit me to work on the two of them together (ie Will one compliment the other) or should I finish BGU 1st?

I like having a number of things on the go at the same time so I don't get bogged down on something and can keep my interest easier.  Not that it is very difficult to stay interested in BGU...it's a great course and great fun.  I'm sure you all understand what I am meaning though.

Anyway, any thoughts guys?

Tony

2. Steve_M

Steve_M Blues Newbie

Hi Tony...just my 'two penneth'...but I am nearing the end of BBG and have had BGU on a shelf for a few months now. I have also sent off for SWS which should be here this week.
    I looked at BGU yesterday for the first time in ages and found that lesson 1 wasnt as difficult as I first remembered it.
    My plan now is to complete BBG but I will also run BGU and SWS (when it arrives) alongside until completed. My main reason for doing this is just to keep the interest going  and introduce more variety.
    From what I have read it would appear that SWS may well just drop in beside BGU or BBG and compliment - rather tha replace them.

Cheers

Steve

3. MikeS

MikeS Moderator... Another Man In Black.
    Staff Member

Tony, I obviously haven't finished BGU or SWS, so my answer might change as I get further into the courses, but if you were to do the serially, I'd finish BBG before delving too deeply into SWS ( first few lessons would be ok, particularly the "Learn the neck" lesson) then I'd do SWS and finish it maybe overlapping the end of SWS with first few BGU lessons.
    For those of us already well into BGU,   I think learning BGU and SWS side by side, maybe swapping lessons, would be the way to go.

4. Tokio

Tokio Guest

It is amazing how many times I come to this forum to ask a question, only to find it has been asked and answered on the same day.  I finally feel confident enough in my progress on BBG to order BGU and was wondering if SWS was something I should wait to try til I finished BGU.

5. stratogeezer

stratogeezer Blues Newbie

I'm working on all three.

6. Cyberthrasher_706

Cyberthrasher_706 Blues Newbie

SWS really compliments BGU's solos. I think anyone here would be doing themselves a great service to work on them side by side. I really don't think BBG'ers would have too much of a problem with it either. It's not too hard as long as you just train your fingers to do the thinking. These little 4 note patterns are a pretty natural movement for your fingers.

7. ndjordjevic

ndjordjevic Blues Newbie

Me too.

8. TonyS

TonyS Blues Newbie

Thanks guys.  Working on BGU and SWS alongside each other was what I was thinking of doing and that seems to be the main opinion so that's what I will do I recon.  Have to wait for SWS to turn up and I'm well into BGU so didnt think I would have much of a problem as long as I continue to find the time.  Good luck to everybody who is working on BBG or SWS or BGU or any combination of the the 3.  Have fun people.

Tony

9. stratogeezer

lol..not to mention Blues You Can Use, Bob Murnahans stuff,the free 12 week course,Learn and Master Guitar...etc,etc.
    Nenad..looks like we are guitar course junkies.

10. luckylarry

luckylarry Student Of The Blues

I am working on BBG and SWS at the same time. I find it is fun to switch back and forth. For me there are some real challenges in BBG so I have to slow down and let the learning catch up to my desire. Having SWS lets me take the mental break I need while still learning. I also do other things such as blues patterns, simple songs and so on. It just feels good to be playing. :)

11. Garymcm

Garymcm Guest

I'll be using all three as soon as SWS arrives (was told it was dispatched on Friday!!!). Now all I need is some spare time (trying to sleep quicker, but it doesn't seem to work!).

Cheers
    Gary

12. kgarkie

kgarkie Been living the blues.

I'm working on SWS and BGU at the same time.  I'm having fun doing both but may not be doing either as fast as I would one at a time.  But, I don't care, I'm not in a race.  I work on one day, the other the next and learning the neck everyday. 

13. TonyS

TonyS Blues Newbie

Sounds like doing both is the way to then.  Thanks guys.

14. RichC

RichC Guest

I stopped BGU at solo 1 when when SWS arrived. Will work on SWS then back of the solos of BGU. Im studying some other theory materials etc and time is finite.

Rich C.

15. SunnyOne

SunnyOne Blues Newbie

yep. me 2, or make that me 3.

16. TonyS

TonyS Blues Newbie

Well make that me 4....looks like I'm in good company

17. wgabree

wgabree Blues Newbie

SWS is another approach and can be worked on simultaneously with the other material.  Have at it!  :cool:

18. beauxPatrick

beauxPatrick Guest

I am a junkie and am working on several DVD courses at the same time... one teaches to read music, and the others to play with tabs... I have software that I can put in the tab and it writes the music for me or vice versa, so it is great for learning song "off the shelf" without tabs.

beaux

19. aforrest

aforrest Guest

Received my SWS this week and will not start it until I complete BBG, I did however take a peek at the first DVD and am very anxious to get started, I was amazed at some of the simple but very effective techniques, thanks Griff

20. stratogeezer

Give 'er a go AC...they compliment each other in my opinion.
    Kinda different and fun too.