Old Member Returning again... Plan Ideas...(Help Please)

ToneSeeker

indecisive player ... I suppose..
Hey Guys, I've had such a long layoff to playing blues, I spent quite some time exploring classical guitar and finally got to the point where thee was no way to keep nails to play, and really it never thrilled me like the blues does... so... here I am.... trying to formulate a solid plan to solidify my playing... I've known Box 1 forever and it's ingrained as my go to and 2 and 5 are pretty good, but I really want to make these things just natural, and develop as a player.

Can I get some suggestions on my plan.

My Plan is to spend some time utilizing the techniques in the Pentatonic mastery course, applying it to the Right and Left Face idea... starting at each root ascending and descending.

1. 8Ths, Triplets, 16ths, ( Fully Picked, Slurred)
2. Melodic Patterns (Fully Picked, Slurred)

I figure if I spend a few months focusing this way in my practice sessions I can probably make some major headway.

Any suggestions?

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Hey Guys, I've had such a long layoff to playing blues, I spent quite some time exploring classical guitar and finally got to the point where thee was no way to keep nails to play, and really it never thrilled me like the blues does... so... here I am.... trying to formulate a solid plan to solidify my playing... I've known Box 1 forever and it's ingrained as my go to and 2 and 5 are pretty good, but I really want to make these things just natural, and develop as a player.

Can I get some suggestions on my plan.

My Plan is to spend some time utilizing the techniques in the Pentatonic mastery course, applying it to the Right and Left Face idea... starting at each root ascending and descending.

1. 8Ths, Triplets, 16ths, ( Fully Picked, Slurred)
2. Melodic Patterns (Fully Picked, Slurred)

I figure if I spend a few months focusing this way in my practice sessions I can probably make some major headway.

Any suggestions?
I spent about 3 months a few years ago on the Pentatonic Mastery course. It's a great course. As you may know the Pent Mastery does not go into the Left and Right Facing concept. I would suggest that you first work on the fundamentals of the course first before you go into the L & R Facing fingerings. There is just so much in the course itself that take a lot of time. I've got the Slow Blues Supplement but have been busy with so much other stuff that I need to get here. I expect that is where you can do the L & R Facing concept. Griff most likely will also help with good tips on how to do it properly.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
PSTM will improve your technique ( 8Ths, Triplets, 16ths, Melodic Patterns (Picked & Slurred)
but the thing that spurred my soloing the most (after I completed BGU's first 4 Solos) was SWS.
IT gave me the confidence to "just play"

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Kind of hard to make suggestions if we don't know what your short and long term goals are.
Some people want to play out, Jam Sessions, Open Mics etc. If so what's time frame?

Some want to play in front of their family and friends.
Some just want to improve their technique. If so, in what specific areas?

So whether the Pentatonic mastery course is a good choice for you, is kinda difficult to evaluate, if we don't know what you looking to accomplish.

ToneSeeker

Good point Crossroads....
Off the cuff I would say
Short Term:
Get my old chops back up to speed,
refresh my memory
Get Boxes 2-5 down pat
Learn how to transition from Major to Minor
Work my 12 Bar Skills ( I seem to get lost there, knowing where we are in the 12 bars if I start to noodle)

Long Term:
Love to be able to Gig with folks, have a solid repertoire and just really get past the feeling of knowing that I don't have a solid grasp on the fundamentals of the blues you know. (Know my blues scales, have my rythm and counting down, be able to play in the pocket real well, I don't sing but I would like to be able to sing backup and play at the same time.. )
I suppose just be an overall good musician...

I'm no stranger to playing guitar, I've been playing for a while, studied classical for a while, Fingerstyle, used to noodle around a lot with the blues and rock in general. I've been a playing member of a worship team for a while as well, I've been know to fake it as a bass player as well for a backup.

Last edited:

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
g -

Try to prioritize and narrow it down to one at a time. Something wide ranging in it's value and motivating to you.

For me it's easy:

1. Skillfully play rhythm.

I never get confused this way and keep focused. If I get bored I work on picking skills in the boxes and committing to memory riffs and rhythm lines I hear in my head while practicing rhythm lessons. Once motivated again, back to rhythm learning. Maybe I'm just a simple guy.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Off the cuff I would say
Short Term:
Get my old chops back up to speed,
refresh my memory
This will have to come from you.

Rather than me point you to something the descriptions in the course catalog would be of better help if you want a course. The you can come back and post or email Griff on any specific questions related to courses.
http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/course-catalog/

Get Boxes 2-5 down pat
Learn how to transition from Major to Minor
I'll post diagrams on the Major Minor and boxes at the bottom. If they are not enough. Major Minor Blues Shapes, Pentatonic Scale & Technique Mastery, The Slow Blues Supplement are where I would point you.

Work my 12 Bar Skills ( I seem to get lost there, knowing where we are in the 12 bars if I start to noodle)
Practice with Jam tracks and playing with others

Long Term:
Love to be able to Gig with folks, have a solid repertoire and just really get past the feeling of knowing that I don't have a solid grasp on the fundamentals of the blues you know. (Know my blues scales, have my rythm and counting down, be able to play in the pocket real well, I don't sing but I would like to be able to sing backup and play at the same time.. )
I suppose just be an overall good musician...

I'm no stranger to playing guitar, I've been playing for a while, studied classical for a while, Fingerstyle, used to noodle around a lot with the blues and rock in general. I've been a playing member of a worship team for a while as well, I've been know to fake it as a bass player as well for a backup.

Don't know where you live, if you can get to a regional jam, or BGU live, or try and find a friendly open mic or Blues jam in your area. There is a section on the forum for BGU jams.

Getting out and playing with other people is one of the most important things you can do to develop.

Good Luck

Attachments

• Minor_to_Major_Boxes_002.jpg
    Minor_to_Major_Boxes_002.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Min_Maj_Blues_Scales (1).pdf
    112 KB · Views: 7
  • Pentatonic_Scale.jpg
    Pentatonic_Scale.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 9

ToneSeeker

I'll post diagrams on the Major Minor and boxes at the bottom. If they are not enough. Major Minor Blues Shapes, Pentatonic Scale & Technique Mastery, The Slow Blues Supplement are where I would point you.

...Snipp

Good Luck
Great Charts Crossroads... I particularly like the chart with the modes, something I've always struggled with understanding. Looking at the Ionian mode .... it's just the major scale... am I correct?

I'm working my way through the Slow Blues Supplement... took a course from Rich Severson a long time ago on the blues scale and it really opened my eyes to just using the blues scale and varying where your playing the root note of it on... when I have some time maybe next week I'll dig up the details, but it was amazing to be able to use the same scale to play any style of music...